Worth converting a snow plow to fit a BX?

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
I picked up a 6.5 foot Meyers snowplow. I already have a snowblower for the lil 'bota. Would it be worth fabricating mounts for either my front quick mount or the 3pt? Debating if I would really use it.....

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Plows are great if there is only a little bit of snow, like 1 or 2"-much faster than a blower also. Since you have it, I say go for it and take some pics;)

Does it have cylinders on it? Might want to research and add a crossover relief valve to it to protect everything also.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your little BX1800 is going to have a bear of a time handling a 6 1/2 foot snow plow!

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I would narrow it down some, to shave off some weight. Couple ways-1 foot wider than wheelbase. Now as far as how tall the blade is-16" max. I had a truck in shop today with a meyers on it,that thing is a beast. Well built, but heavy. It was twenty or so years old, snow must have been tougher in those days. Looking forward to seeing your build.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If that's an OLD Myers plow it weighs a ton,, My Jeep truck never like the one I had

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
I was thinking the same thing that might be more plow than the BX can handle, but have to disagree with the post stating that a plow is only good for 1 or 2 inch's of snow? You have the right plow on that tractor and it can be a very useful snow moving machine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah Mike I concur the year I got little orange we had one duce of a storm I had waist high snow in the drive way. That BX with the plow never even grunted when I was done I had piles so large the grand kids were digging through them making snow tunnels and forts. So yes a plow will move a ton of snow, just easy dose it think each push through and after the first one,, keep cutting away and bada bing bada bang your done

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I was thinking the same thing that might be more plow than the BX can handle, but have to disagree with the post stating that a plow is only good for 1 or 2 inch's of snow? You have the right plow on that tractor and it can be a very useful snow moving machine.
I didn't say a plow was "a plow is only good for 1 or 2 inch's of snow", I said it was faster than a blower in that much.

He has a blower for the heavy stuff if the blade proves to be a bit much for his BX, and a plow would be a good compliment to his setup for smaller snowfall's.

Last edited:

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Way to heavy IMO for a BX. I used to use my BX FEL to move my 7" fisher around when not on the truck and it barely lifted it off the ground.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dare say by the time you cut down a 6 foot blade to suite a BX the width would be getting close to the pivot bracket and you wont have much of a blade left. Plus I can see it being to short and compromising the spring loaded trip feature.

Sounds like a bad idea in general. May be better off buying an old beater 4x4 truck for a few hundred bucks and mouting the Meyer blade on that. Bonus is youd have heat in the cab.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Yes, the trip springs would need to replaced with something lighter, or angle them outwards so it takes less to trip. Atv plow sized springs would work.when they said it couldnt be done, i find a way to prove them wrong.im big on repurposing things that would otherwise be scrapped.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
More then likely a lighter spring won't flip the blade back up after it hit something. Thats heavy blade to tilt and needs all the spring it can get.

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
Thanks all. After reading your comments and thinking about it. I've put it up for sale. I would have more work than I have time for on something that would get used very little.

Thanks!

Edit: sold the plow yesterday.

Last edited: