Worried about my oil change

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
OK..so I go to do my first oil change on a B7500 Original owner said it was serviced by dealer just before selling. Has all "K" filters...and he has oil change and services highlighted in his owners manual...so I have no reason to doubt him. Drain the oil....clean and reinstall the plug.....looked like an appropriate amount of oil came out......on to the filter. Filter spun off easily (not too much so).....and no oil.....I mean zero came out. Appears to be no oil in the filter (although the filter felt heavy.....like it normally does. I haven't cut the filter apart.....but that's coming. No issues before the oil change. Any ideas?????

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Tractor fired up normally....oil light came on for 2-3 seconds and went out. Engine sounded normal. Backed the new filter out a couple of turns and oil immediately started coming out......... Im confused.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Did you run the tractor for a bit and then change the oil?

If you didn't run the tractor first, then it's normal to have very little to no drainage from the filter base. The oil pressure will drop and any extra oil will drain back into the pan. You can have the same thing happen if you take your sweet time changing the oil. Draining the pan first and coming back to the filters after an hour or so.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did you run it warm it up prior to changing the oil?

Did the oil look "funky?" While no expert in these engines yet, don't think it could bypass the filter? Of course, you can get a bad filter - doesn't matter whose name is on it.:mad:

My tractor's filter is horizontal - if it sat for a while, might not be much in it to run off? You said it felt heavy like it had oil in it at some point.

BTW - I always pull filter with drain plug out and fill cap off.

If it were me, run it, put my hand on the filter right away, and see if filter gets hot, like it has oil in it.

If not satisfied, run it until warm/hot, and repeat the process. There is no such thing as too many oil changes!;)

Let us know how you make out!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Daren - - you and I had the same thought!

We must've been typing at the same time.

:D:D:D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - - you and I had the same thought!

We must've been typing at the same time.

:D:D:D
It's been known to happen :D:D:D I've seen a couple come through almost word for word before :rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah well if it was the Harley and it did that I would be very scart !!!!:eek::eek: