Working during break in period

drj211

Equipment
L3301 w/525 FEL
Jun 19, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I was able to purchase an L3301 and 525 FEL last month before the rebates got smaller. It was delivered a couple days ago with 0.7 hours on the tach! I've been having my kids drive the tractor around to build some time and break everything in.

We're at a little over five hours at this point and I need to do some finish mowing. I was wondering if you think operating the engine at PTO speed for about an hour is something to stay away from at this point. Any other helpful tips are appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I was able to purchase an L3301 and 525 FEL last month before the rebates got smaller. It was delivered a couple days ago with 0.7 hours on the tach! I've been having my kids drive the tractor around to build some time and break everything in.

We're at a little over five hours at this point and I need to do some finish mowing. I was wondering if you think operating the engine at PTO speed for about an hour is something to stay away from at this point. Any other helpful tips are appreciated.
Not sure what your max tach is, but go ahead and run that machine up to 2000-2200 rpms and get your grass cut!

It is one thing to not run the hell out of new machine, it is made to be used however - and those that go into the fleet service never get the early tlc - yours will be fine doing the little things that your are doing. After break-in, and remember, 50 is just a number - run your machine a little higher than you might think - why? It was designed to run at a higher rpm so all the pumps are moving fluid like they should, worst thing you can do to a diesel is "baby" it.....that is like cutting grass at above idle.....engine was not designed to cut grass at that speed, nor was the mower designed to cut at that speed.

It will not hurt it at all to run it up a bit to cut the grass! ;):)

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Your manual should state what to run it at during breakin.
Usually 75%.

Go ahead and work it.
Cut grass, move dirt.
Diesel's need to be worked.
Ray

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
Like the other guys say, the operator's manual should have guidance for operating parameters during break-in.

Usually, when breaking an engine in, you ned to work it at varying ranges of engine speed and load. So running it at 75% throttle while mowing would be great.

Me?

I'd try to run it at other throttle settings too, while working. Also, after working it, I would not simply return the throttle to idle and shut it down, Rather I would shut off the PTO, return the throttle to idle and let it run at idle for a minute or two and then shut it down.

drj211

Equipment
L3301 w/525 FEL
Jun 19, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the advice.

I rechecked the manual. It is very basic for the "Operating a new tractor" section. It says "do not operate at full speed for the first 50 hours", and "do not run the engine at speeds faster than necessary." Pretty open to interpretation.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I ran mine between 2,000 rpm's and pto speed (2,400) while using my cutter when it had 2 hours on it.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
When mine was new, I didn't worry about operating at PTO speed as that is about 85% for me. Just didn't go PTO+.

Everyone has an opinion, but I always go buy breaking in the way you will operate. Hasn't cased me any problems on any motor I've had. But again, lots of opinions on best practice, so to each his own.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I did the same when mine was new. I would drop it down to 1800 and mow slow for 20min then 2k for 20min then 2,200 and then back to 18ish. Just keep the throttle moving below 2,200ish and it will be good.

drj211

Equipment
L3301 w/525 FEL
Jun 19, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I did the same when mine was new. I would drop it down to 1800 and mow slow for 20min then 2k for 20min then 2,200 and then back to 18ish. Just keep the throttle moving below 2,200ish and it will be good.
I just did almost the same when I mowed this morning. I alternated between 2k and 2.2k for the hour it took me to mow. Next time I mow, i'm going full PTO! Thanks for all the responses.

bham

Equipment
l3301
Jan 28, 2017
alabama
regen is going to be a lot higher than pto speed so be prepared for that. you will need about 20 minutes of work to do during that time.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
My pto speed is 2,400 rpm's and I have done regens as low as 1,800 rpm's. One time it was in the middle of a regen and I had a call come in and needed to answer it, put it in neutral with manual throttle set and brake on and walked off to talk. When I came back the regen was done so you don't really need to be working it hard to complete a regen, just satisfy the rpm and temperature requirements and it will do it's thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
regen is going to be a lot higher than pto speed so be prepared for that. you will need about 20 minutes of work to do during that time.
I was waiting for someone to mention that regen thing..... my 3301's regen idiot light forced me to throttle up, until it had, I guess, blew the carbon out. I didn't like it but I also don't worry much about it, these things are designed to be worked hard. 42.1 hrs total time now, first oil change at 50 coming soon.