Wood splitter for backhoe thumb?

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Anyone make any kind of attachment/wedge that could be bolted between the teeth of the backhoe bucket or thumb that would enable you to use it as a wood splitter?

Just thinking it would save purchasing one more piece of equipment.

Doc

May have to play with some redneck engineering and see what I can come up with.

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Re: Woos splitter for backhoe thumb?

Pretty interesting idea. Don't dedicated wood splitters generate a LOT more hydraulic pressure than a BH does? I really don't know myself, but I'd imagine that would be the first concern.

And, as I've been told before, for the cost of a wood chipper it makes more sense to rack the hours up on one of those versus an expensive tractor. I hadn't considered this when I posted a question regarding tractor-operated splitters.

Regardless, I'd be curious what you learn or what you can create.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Re: Woos splitter for backhoe thumb?

Pretty interesting idea. Don't dedicated wood splitters generate a LOT more hydraulic pressure than a BH does? I really don't know myself, but I'd imagine that would be the first concern.

And, as I've been told before, for the cost of a wood splitter it makes more sense to rack the hours up on one of those versus an expensive tractor. I hadn't considered this when I posted a question regarding tractor-operated splitters.

Regardless, I'd be curious what you learn or what you can create.
That makes perfect sense. Hadn't thought about racking up hours on a 33,000 Tractor/backhoe vs a 1200 dollar log splitter. Will have to contemplate that a bit.

Doc

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I use the tractor to pull the trailer full of wood around anyway.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I use the tractor to pull the trailer full of wood around anyway.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
something more like typical log splitter attached to said trailer may make more since in both time and dollar and cents though.