With all this talk of oil...........

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I decided to change the oil today and take advantage of the Rotella on sale. Glad I did.

The NAPA Gold filter was dry as a bone, empty, never saw a drop of oil inside.

Not good.

It's hard to see the inside in this pic but trust me, it's as clean and dry as the day I put on last winter.

From now on I'll trust NO filter. I have moved to Pure1 on the Jeeps and will now on the Kubota and anything else I own.

I'll also do the warm up and feel the filter to see if it's hot, as in full of oil hot.

This is the third time I've experience no-flow filters, first two were Fram.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Huh- that's not good.
Have you made sure that you have oil pressure? As in the pump is still pumping? It seems like there should have been some oil in it, if the pump was working hard to push through whatever was restricting it.

Steamguy

Equipment
BX2370
Yup, always check the oil filter for heat after you refill and restart the engine. Takes three seconds, saves a lot of grief. Pretty unusual for a NAPA (Wix) to be a no-flow. I would expect it from a Fram or a Purolator, though.

If you can do it without getting oil all over, some oil in the filter always helps them get started plus you don't have that long wait for oil pressure to come up on the restart. We used to fill the filter to the bottom of the threads, then roll it around in our hand. You'd be surprised how far the oil goes down. Then just turn it on its side and quick spin it on.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I've never had a dry filter, or even heard of the problem. :confused:

Ive used Wix in my trucks for years and Kubota filters in my tractors.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I'd be hesitate to blame that filter. That plate that has the round holes in it should have oil on it straight from the oil pump. Even if the oil filter did not flow, there should be oil on that plate.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
Ive had bad luck with Wix so went back to Kubota ( I know made in Indonesia) but these after market filters don't seem to have the right psi spring inside to let the oil to flow. My 2 cents.

Big Kahuna

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I'd be hesitate to blame that filter. That plate that has the round holes in it should have oil on it straight from the oil pump. Even if the oil filter did not flow, there should be oil on that plate.

The outside was wet, I wiped it off to take pics.

It was the inside that was dry.