Will a BX move a 6000 lb camper around the yard?

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Just bought a camper, I'm thinking it will be easier to move around in my yard with the BX then my truck. Anyone know?

Thanks'
jay

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just bought a camper, I'm thinking it will be easier to move around in my yard with the BX then my truck. Anyone know?

Thanks'
jay

Several things to consider.....

what is the tongue weight of the camper?

you placing it on 3 point or draw bar? 3 point would be a no-no

you on flat ground?

you gonna be in 4 wheel drive? better for traction and braking

you have anything that will be in the "way" that will be a problem??? wife's car? Building? :D

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Good stuff already, thanks.
Pretty flat ground. Speed not an issue I would probably just creep along from front yard to back. hitch weight is 735 lbs. A draw bar would really tip it down I'm guessing. I know on my AC 314 a front mounted ball makes it easy to push my utility trailer in tight places. How would that work?

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
My L260 tractor has loaded tires and is about 3,300 lbs. We have a camper like that, I move it with our Z71 pickup, it squats that until I put the weight distribution bars on. Ours is a 28' and is tongue heavy because of the axles location. I don't even think about trying it with our tractor. If I could keep the front end down I still couldn't stop it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My L260 tractor has loaded tires and is about 3,300 lbs. We have a camper like that, I move it with our Z71 pickup, it squats that until I put the weight distribution bars on. Ours is a 28' and is tongue heavy because of the axles location. I don't even think about trying it with our tractor. If I could keep the front end down I still couldn't stop it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What David said. Mines a foot longer and Squats the truck like crazy without the weight distribution hitch. I wouldn't dream of trying to move it with my tractor either. My camper weighs 5,500 lbs.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
Have to go along with what others have advised. "Don't do it". If you have a BX or equiv the max lift capabilities are between 600 & max 900 lbs at the pin with tractor that weighs about 2000lbs. You are trying to move a trailer that is more than double that weight, hitch & GVWR. Even a slight incline will allow that camper to have a mind of its own.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
a standard pickup truck weighs about 4500 lbs give or take. Your tractor is half that at best. Using it to spot your trailer on flat ground (slowly moving from front yard to back) no big deal so long as you don't have a huge incline or somewhere that the trailer could get away from you. BUT: If you are backing it to a cliff, or up a long driveway with a 10 degree drop..... I wouldn't do it. Use the AC instead :)

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
My neighbor moves his large camper around his yard with his JD 1025 (same size as my bx) with no problems on the 3PH. No idea of the weight of the camper but it is a big one. We're on top of a hill but very flat where we are.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If it's a 5th wheel you might have problems.

Otherwise on flat smooth ground you should have no problems - it will all depend on your trailer tongue weight. What 650 lbs? No problem on the 3PH.

I've towed 4,500 lb cars on level ground using a golf cart no problem. I wouldn't try to go on the road or on any slopes though.

Slow and easy wins the race.

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
hmm, starting to get mixed thoughts on the topic. Do it, don't do it, I saw a you tube video of a JD doing it...I have a 10' gate and an 8' trailer width. Would all the don't do it people please answer this? Would you hook up the BX to a 6000lb camper and push it backwards 75' thru a gate, on flat ground at turtle speed. I just think it would be easier with the BX not the F150.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
No problem if it’s flat and FEL handles tongue weight or could pull it off the back. Keep it low and set it down if it tries to get away from you. It don’t gotta be rated to haul it to work in the yard at home moving it around. I move my boat and pop up camper often with a much smaller 1864 cub cadet mower. Bout the same concept as a 3 year old being able to push you on their tricycle on the porch.

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
hmm, starting to get mixed thoughts on the topic. Do it, don't do it, I saw a you tube video of a JD doing it...I have a 10' gate and an 8' trailer width. Would all the don't do it people please answer this? Would you hook up the BX to a 6000lb camper and push it backwards 75' thru a gate, on flat ground at turtle speed. I just think it would be easier with the BX not the F150.
I have a story to tell you. I thought I could do something similar with my four wheeler. I hooked it up, the weight sagged the back in down some, so I thought not too bad let's go. After moving the equipment with my four wheeler it now sounds like I bent the axle. It did the job but flexed the machine and broke all in 5 mins. My opinion is this. If it is rated for only so much weight that's all it was made to do. You have steering knuckles, axles, bushings, etc on your tractor. It may work or it may break. Up to you. I would use the truck and be done with it. :)

Updated: Also if your backing up the tractor how are you going to see around the trailer. Least with your truck your rear view mirrors will show the clearances between the trailer and the gate. Just FYI

Last edited:

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I regularly move my 3000lb 24' trailer with my BX. it does it wit ease. I have moved it with my mx4800 , 6' brush hog and grapple loaded on board, A bit of a strain but it gets it moved.

M

Teese

Equipment
B20
Jul 19, 2013
Lynden, WA
If you are indeed on level ground and t-u-r-t-l-e speed, here's a thought regarding eliminating the tongue weight issue:
  • Buy a HF trailer maneuvering dolly for $50ish, add a "U" shaped trailer hitch at the T handle. Raise ball into hitch, connect to your BX with locked brakes, and go.
  • Caution, the geometry/dynamics of backing with a dolly could provide an audience with hours of entertainment -- you could lessen the challenge by coming up with a connection to your FEL.
  • Leaving the trailer's stand down will nicely catch things if the HF contraption collapses.
  • Again, this assumes level ground and turtle speed.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I tried to use mine to move my 4500lb boat. My drive was gravel and steep.- The boat won. The tractor would move it, but steering traction was the issue. - Give it a shot, if it works it works.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If you are indeed on level ground and t-u-r-t-l-e speed, here's a thought regarding eliminating the tongue weight issue:
  • Buy a HF trailer maneuvering dolly for $50ish, add a "U" shaped trailer hitch at the T handle. Raise ball into hitch, connect to your BX with locked brakes, and go.
  • Caution, the geometry/dynamics of backing with a dolly could provide an audience with hours of entertainment -- you could lessen the challenge by coming up with a connection to your FEL.
  • Leaving the trailer's stand down will nicely catch things if the HF contraption collapses.
  • Again, this assumes level ground and turtle speed.
twas my thought..... just with more detail than I could offer.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
My thought on the subject is; how sorry would you be if something went wrong? I personally would not do it with that heavy of a trailer. I don't think it is a matter of will it move the trailer, it seems more a matter of what is the potential downside? There is always a downside. Just figure in the potential danger of property destruction and personal safety. Is it really worth it? If yes, then go for it! If not, then back away slowly away.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I wouldn't do it. I move a popup camper and flatbed trailer off the FEL on my BX. It works great to get it in tight places. The biggest problem I see is you will be driving blind. Your not going to able to see anything but the camper, let alone the gate.

Why are you hesitant to use your truck?