Why Two Head gaskets for D950?

Markw

Jan 22, 2016
Houston
I ordering a new head gasket for my D950 I'm working on. Package came with a regular looking headgasket and a thin one. I assume these are to be sandwiched together and installed. Is that right? Thanks in advance.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
The thin one is likely a shim. Use it, if you have had the head surfaced, or if it already has one there, when you take the head off. JMHO...:D:D

Markw

Jan 22, 2016
Houston
That seems to make sense. The thin one is about .015in thick.

No extra gasket sealer is needed anywhere on the head gasket right? There is a small boss with a hole in it that sticks up above the surface of the block deck. It almost looks like the original had a little RTV sealer, but not sure.

Oh and should the head bolts be retorqued after some run time cycles?

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Markw, on the back of the block is a small short tube sticking up. An "O' ring goes around it, or you will have oil in all the wrong places.

This may be what you're describing here. "There is a small boss with a hole in it that sticks up above the surface of the block deck. It almost looks like the original had a little RTV sealer, but not sure."

I think the "O" ring was in a package with the head gasket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes that's the pipe to feed oil to the top end that D2Cat was talking about, it needs an O-ring on it. ;)

P/N 15221-33700

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
That seems to make sense. The thin one is about .015in thick.

No extra gasket sealer is needed anywhere on the head gasket right? There is a small boss with a hole in it that sticks up above the surface of the block deck. It almost looks like the original had a little RTV sealer, but not sure.

Oh and should the head bolts be retorqued after some run time cycles?
When I redo a head gasket, I spray the head and block with copper gasket spray. it's just thin enough to not glob up, anywhere...:D:D

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Kubota engine gaskets are designed to go on with nothing but a clean, dry, flat surface-and nothing more. Sealants-even Copper Coat, have been known to develop issues in the long run, in my own experience.

The shim is also used to set the clearance between the piston and the head. Some of them need it, others do not. Your service manual will specify exactly how to check it. If it's put in and doesn't need it, compression pressure suffers. If it's not put in and it needed it, there is a chance that the pistons will contact either the valves or the head.