Whos into home grown

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That’s my understanding now also. Always considered them an annual as they never came back.

Learned something new last couple years. 👍
Maybe there are different oregano varieties, but the variety I have appears to be a long lived perennial that is winter hardy.

Reactions: 1 user

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
The last couple of days, we got several plants in the ground. We planted broccoli, tomatos, potatos, sweet peppers, hot peppers, and onion sets.
IMG_20240511_174015388_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240511_182229625_HDR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, is it my silly computer or are your rows really curved to the left ?
I can't plant, got another inch of rain,so no way I can get 10t of compost onto garden and tilled, sigh.....

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
OK, is it my silly computer or are your rows really curved to the left ?
I can't plant, got another inch of rain,so no way I can get 10t of compost onto garden and tilled, sigh.....
They are, your eyes are good. This was the most level location in the back yard. I wound up with an oblong garden.
It's hard to see in the picture, but I used the Kubota to create a berm and a ditch to keep the rain water from flowing downhill through the garden.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Last edited:

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Thanks for the laugh Mr Horner! I am afraid to ask if it’s electric start or pull start.
It’s pull start. Had an old tecumseh that I couldn’t get running reliably. Put it on the back burner for about a year. Had a pressure washer at work we were trashing, for whatever reason. Engine ran. I saved it and tossed on the tiller. Made the obnoxiously loud stack from old snapper comet exhaust, that will be coming off soon.
I wish the tines were wider and reverse actually worked, but it was free. Lol.

Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Well we have been in a stand off with place we bought bees from for over a week and might as well as put the USPO in on the stand off too…they shipped us a package of bees on May 2nd (label printed April 30th so I can about imagine how long those poor little ladies were in the cage) and finally showed up (today. We thought they were lost, but got notification this morning out of blue they would arrive later this morning). I came home early from work to fool with that.

There were a few still moving but we had one hell of a pile of dead ones. Time will tell if they can make it. They were out of food. They were also in There long enough to start drawing out comb. I added a full frame from the other hive as my best offering of life support. I hope they make it.

then Started some seeds in GH (seedlings from last week doing well too). And finally, took Yoshi out for a walk and planted a few rows of beans.

now it is time to properly 😉 hydrate. 🥃

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well we have been in a stand off with place we bought bees from for over a week and might as well as put the USPO in on the stand off too…they shipped us a package of bees on May 2nd (label printed April 30th so I can about imagine how long those poor little ladies were in the cage) and finally showed up (today. We thought they were lost, but got notification this morning out of blue they would arrive later this morning). I came home early from work to fool with that.

There were a few still moving but we had one hell of a pile of dead ones. Time will tell if they can make it. They were out of food. They were also in There long enough to start drawing out comb. I added a full frame from the other hive as my best offering of life support. I hope they make it.

then Started some seeds in GH (seedlings from last week doing well too). And finally, took Yoshi out for a walk and planted a few rows of beans.

now it is time to properly 😉 hydrate. 🥃
Call your bee supplier immediately, and explain.
Hope is not a plan.
Some suppliers will immediately ship a replacement package.

If all those bees in the bottom of that package are already dead.......you AIN'T GOT A CHANCE... for success this season.!

In LA you should be able to buy a package locally.
Thousands of packages are raised commercially in LA every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I don’t think he’s in LA 🤣, I wanted to get into bees this year, but it didn’t happen. Co worker has em and I just trade eggs for honey 😂

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Call your bee supplier immediately, and explain.
Hope is not a plan.
Some suppliers will immediately ship a replacement package.
It is very iffy if your partially dead package will make the grade, long term.

In LA you should be able to buy a package locally.
Thousands of packages are raised in LA every year.
Thanks for thoughts. Been there done that…a week ago. The seller seemed way less worried than I was. I expected them to ship another package…but I was wrong. They seemed to think they would eventually show up. We started a claim already for reimbursement. They did not have anymore bees either (sold out) to send replacement (so they claimed).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don’t think he’s in LA 🤣, I wanted to get into bees this year, but it didn’t happen. Co worker has em and I just trade eggs for honey 😂
Sorry about that!
Ohio sure is a far cry from LA!

Bees are fun, and particularly educational for your young children.
Try to educate yourself a bit through the remainder of this year, to be ready for next Spring.

Two good sources of info, and equipment are:
Mannlakeltd.com
and Dadant.com

You can assemble your own equipment from various parts/pieces/kits that they both sell.
I would buy from either, but not from both.
One colony is NOT recommended, as you will have nothing to compare it's production/survival to.
Two colonies would be good to start.
Plan to eventually spend like you might, if buying a good grapple.

You will need some time to assemble the (wood) parts and pieces, and this would be a fun shop, or basement project with your children in the Winter.
Lots of parts and pieces to be glued/nailed together.

It is really not all about the honey.
It is really all about the experience!

At 83, probably will never use my (two colonies) equipment again, but am still hanging on, and hoping that an adult grandson might use the equipment.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Sorry about that!
Ohio sure is a far cry from LA!

Bees are fun, and particularly educational for your young children.
Try to educate yourself a bit through the remainder of this year, to be ready for next Spring.

Two good sources of info, and equipment are:
Mannlakeltd.com
and Dadant.com

You can assemble your own equipment from various parts/pieces/kits that they both sell.
I would buy from either, but not from both.
One colony is NOT recommended, as you will have nothing to compare it's production/survival to.
Two colonies would be good to start.
Plan to eventually spend like you might, if buying a good grapple.

You will need some time to assemble the (wood) parts and pieces, and this would be a fun shop, or basement project with your children in the Winter.
Lots of parts and pieces to be glued/nailed together.

It is really not all about the honey.
It is really all about the experience!

At 83, probably will never use my (two colonies) equipment again, but am still hanging on, and hoping that an adult grandson might use it.
You kinda nailed it! Yes I’ve been looking at building my own boxes, and I can get some swarms from my buddy. Too much going on right now for another commitment. It is still on the list though