rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
whatcha gonna plant in em?

View attachment 125519
View attachment 125520
This is what I deal with here, this is the tater and bean patch, the only ones happy with it are our ducks 🤣
In the new bales (see link below on the recipe), which are in previous post/pics, we’ll plant: Squash, cucumbers, zuchini,kombucha (Japanese pumpkin) butternut, spaghetti, pie pumpkins.

In last years bales, this year we’ll plant: carrots, kale, beets, chard.

As far as your water feature (fountain would be a nice touch 🤪) there, it looks like you need a canoe to do your gardening! 😉 We’ve had a close to 4” rain past few days, more this evening, and snow tomorrow. In the flats and valleys here it looks much the same as your tater patch.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/straw-bale-gardening/

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
In the new bales (see link below on the recipe), which are in previous post/pics, we’ll plant: Squash, cucumbers, zuchini,kombucha (Japanese pumpkin) butternut, spaghetti, pie pumpkins.

In last years bales, this year we’ll plant: carrots, kale, beets, chard.

As far as your water feature (fountain would be a nice touch 🤪) there, it looks like you need a canoe to do your gardening! 😉 We’ve had a close to 4” rain past few days, more this evening, and snow tomorrow. In the flats and valleys here it looks much the same as your tater patch.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/straw-bale-gardening/
Thanks for the link - - answered all my questions about the straw bales.

I've had some issue getting straw when I've done lawn seeding in central NYS.

Doubt that's a concern in Ohio?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thanks for the link - - answered all my questions about the straw bales.

I've had some issue getting straw when I've done lawn seeding in central NYS.

Doubt that's a concern in Ohio?
We just tried the bales for first time last year…the unwritten benefit is no, I repeat no weeds…that portion is awesome and the productivity exceeded expectations. It did require additional watering IMO but I have no way to prove other than knowing I stood out there and watered quite a bit (we did have some dry spells too). The no weeding was huge. When we move I will put bales into my raised beds and just keep piling it in at is breakdown vs buying soil I think. The raised bed in the edge of the one pic we built that like a Hugul mound…if I knew how the straw would work I think I would have just put bales on the tops of the dead tree branches and wood chips rather than buy soil…it’s expensive to have a dump truck of soil delivered here so I think the straw is much cheaper and the organic matter adds a lot of material into the soil we have, so I am trying that rather than buying soil since our time is sort of limited.

The straw works…no joke and no weeding on the first year bales. I would suspect if putting something that grows tall with some weight like a tomato you would need a pretty solid way to stake it. We had peppers and okra in some of them last year and had to stake them and they sort of struggled to stay upright…I’ve never had more peppers or orca before, but seemed like they struggled to stay upright even when staking. But not a single weed!

As far as finding straw…It’s no issue where I live…just find the neighbor that bales it. It’s fairly common for the wheat farmers here to bale. I just got a partial trailer full a few weeks back and the farmer had plenty and seemed happy I wanted it. Back up to the hay mound, they send it down and interlock it to suit. It’s sort of a mailbox warranty and self responsible for the stacking it in the trailer I suspect. I used to help bale so it’s not beyond my capability to get it home without embarrassing myself (I interlock the bales and run a strap over them) 🥃

Attachments

corl

Equipment
MX5100, F2100, BX2500
Could you share more about the fishing line fence? Any pics?
I use 2 strands of braided electric fence at 8 and 13 inches (little critters). Then I use 4 strands of 20-40 lb monofilament nylon fishing line spaced evenly to 7 feet. Pictures are not helpful since the fence is almost invisible. Deer don't see it at night and get tangled in it. May have to repair it several time until the deer learn that it is there and then not much maintenance. Cheap fence that doesn't look bad, See it when the sun reflects on it at times. Deer rarely get in. We have a big deer herd -often see 7 at a time.

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
We grow sprouts all year for salad greens. Cabbage, radish, pea sprouts
This week I started roto-tilling our garden plots. one plot for pumpkins+ sweet corn + beans and and one each for peas, zucchini and carrots.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
speaking of ducks 😂 just hanging out 😂

View attachment 125522
Love the picture of your son “ducking" around! My younger daughter had a similar situation going on with one of the four geese that they raised from gosling that were delivered by the US mail. He was gentle with her and aggressive to everybody else.

I have a picture somewhere of my wife out in the rain with an umbrella, walking the four little goslings around so they could eat some fresh grass in the rain while being protected by "Mother Goose"…

• Haha

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Our garden space will pretty much be the same as last year. Veggies will be shuffled around.
IMG_20230805_145058459_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230807_091525168_HDR.jpg
A+ Gallery_27.jpg
original_a3aadd25-d777-4b6b-9eb9-ecd08cddb257_IMG_20201015_115659855_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230805_145058459_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230807_091525168_HDR.jpg
A+ Gallery_27.jpg
original_a3aadd25-d777-4b6b-9eb9-ecd08cddb257_IMG_20201015_115659855_HDR.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Love the picture of your son “ducking" around! My younger daughter had a similar situation going on with one of the four geese that they raised from gosling that were delivered by the US mail. He was gentle with her and aggressive to everybody else.

I have a picture somewhere of my wife out in the rain with an umbrella, walking the four little goslings around so they could eat some fresh grass in the rain while being protected by "Mother Goose"…
My son wants geese 😂🤦‍♂️ but it ain’t happening. The ducks are pretty fun though, they are kinda like dogs 😂. They love the kids

4EB92DF2-6517-4FA9-96C3-D3BFA0EA1F76.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Gary Olson

Equipment
L2501 w/FEL and grapple, 3pt auger
Mar 10, 2022
Mark Twain Forest
I use 2 strands of braided electric fence at 8 and 13 inches (little critters). Then I use 4 strands of 20-40 lb monofilament nylon fishing line spaced evenly to 7 feet. Pictures are not helpful since the fence is almost invisible. Deer don't see it at night and get tangled in it. May have to repair it several time until the deer learn that it is there and then not much maintenance. Cheap fence that doesn't look bad, See it when the sun reflects on it at times. Deer rarely get in. We have a big deer herd -often see 7 at a time.
We also use those red blinking lights which are supposed to scare critters away. I can see the light gets distorted by the monofilament. the deer avoid; we don't have deer entanglement problems.