Who owns what ?

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
When I had my problem and had to replace the undground wires I contacted my insurance company to see if there was any coverage. They said no underground utilities are not covered under homeowners policies but I could buy a separate policy for the future issues.
Which underground wires? In our area if the wires are on the utility side of the meter, the utility is responsible.

Some places, the utility lands on an property owner's pole and the property owner is responsible for anything after that.

Likewise, any onsite wiring to other structures, site lighting, well pumps, etc is on the owner.

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Which underground wires? In our area if the wires are on the utility side of the meter, the utility is responsible.

Some places, the utility lands on an property owner's pole and the property owner is responsible for anything after that.

Likewise, any onsite wiring to other structures, site lighting, well pumps, etc is on the owner.
From the meter pan on my house to the pole. Had to run conduit 10 ft up the pole and leave another 25 feet of the wire sticking out above the conduit so NYSEG could reach the transformer connections on the pole. Had to be burried in conduit 2 feet down. Homeowner is responsible for the entire run if underground. Overhead would have been a different story with the power company paying. NYSEG came early morning and disconnected the old line, the contractor dug the ditch and replaced the entrance wire ( this time in conduit ) The inspector came in the afternoon put a green sticker on the meter pan and signed it off then called NYSEG back that night to hook the new wire up and put new seals on the meter. 6 guys and an excavator were here all day in the middle of February with below zero wind chills. Only reason they could dig then was the 4 ft of snow insulating the ground I had to remove right before they started.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Been a while since I've done a residential service but I believe it's still the same:

Overhead service - Customer installs and owns from the weatherhead down, including an anchor point for the power company. Customer needs to leave tails at the head for the power company to connect with their lines.

Underground service - Customer installs and owns from the meter base and for there in. Owner provides an empty conduit stubbed below grade. Power company installs cable in owner-provided trench and connects to line side of meter base.

We did larger projects in different areas and it varied with the utility company. Some places we provided empty conduits between our gear and the transformer owned by the power company. Some places we were responsible for wiring from our gear to the transformer pad, but only connected our end. For Medium and HV services we normally provided a switch and all load side wiring, and the power company pulled their cables in raceways we provided and terminated them in our switch.
1984......I direct buried 3 wire cable from pole to meter.
They hooked it up!
No conduit required!
It is all still there, and I still live in the house!

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
1984......I direct buried 3 wire cable from pole to meter.
They hooked it up!
No conduit required!
It is all still there, and I still live in the house!
That what they originally did with mine and frost pushed a stone up through the sand puncturing the insulation. Water got into the aluminum and turned it to powder. The electrician said they are replacing many with the same issue now that we're burried 20 years ago. Water lines and things that are burried below the frost line don't have the problem.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That what they originally did with mine and frost pushed a stone up through the sand puncturing the insulation. Water got into the aluminum and turned it to powder. The electrician said they are replacing many with the same issue now that we're burried 20 years ago. Water lines and things that are burried below the frost line don't have the problem.
"frost line" here is about 8"
Pure sand....absolutely no stones!
No aluminum,.....only copper.
I think I am safe!