Which tractor to buy?

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
You won't have enough hydraulic flow available to do an FEL mount blower (they use hydraulic motors). So you would need a PTO driven hydraulic power unit which takes a fair amount of HP to get the flow required. By the time you buy all that, you might as well buy a front mount snowblower with a mid PTO or even a front mount with rear PTO.

As was said, stay away from the B3350 (to many issues, and no guarantees on a new version coming). The B2650 would he nice.

If you want a bigger heavier duty blower and more power/lift, then go with an L Grand series and make sure to get the mid PTO with it. I got an L3560 with a 74" blower (2 passes - one down, one up - and your done). Works good, but if you can swing the cost of a L4060 or L4760, then do that and you will be less likely to have to slow down to keep from bogging down the engine.

Also, all those option have available cabs. You said your drive drifts a lot... that means a lot of snow blowing back in your face. I would go with a cab. I did and blowing snow go so much easier and comfortable.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Aaahhh, sweet set up!!! That would be my dream tractor right there. Unless I find a used one, it’s out of my budget range. I’m looking to spend less than $25,000.00 and really focusing on a used one right now. Love that rig, though!

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
Hello! This is my first post.

I'm sure this has come up a billion times, so I apologize for the monotony in advance.

We recently purchased a house on 80 acres in northern Minnesota. There is 30 acres of hay field, 40 acres of hard wood and the rest is pasture/yard/buildings. The land is flat. The driveway is 200 yards long and drifts like crazy in the winter. The hay field is being rented out, so I don't have to worry about that.

In my mind, I'm looking for a compact tractor that can:
  • accommodate a front snowblower
  • grade driveway
  • haul firewood
  • till 1 acre garden and food plots

I've read all the pluses and minuses of a front snowblower, and I'm still hesitant to consider a rear mounted blower. It has been a heck of a struggle trying to figure out which tractors can do what, despite many hours on the internet.

At this point I've been looking at the B series (2650 & 3350), but I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts. One question that has come up is whether or not any of the L series can take a front-mount snowblower? I've seen a thread on a FEL mounted blower and have seen what looks like a front-mounted blower that runs off a rear PTO, too. The snowblowing issue seems to be the biggest hang up for me. The other tasks are pretty simple and standard with any tractor I would think.

Thank you for reading my post.

Craig
I have an L3300 and use a rear mount snowblower. nice to have the bucket on in case of difficulty if front blower is mandatory then you can remove bucket and get mounting hardware for mid mount ? or rear mount pto good luck

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am with conropl in recommending a Grand L with a cab for your property. You have a big place and a lot of snow. I have an L3560 no cab and often wish it had a cab. When I got it I just figured a thicker down coat would do, and I'd move all the snow with the fel and a backblade. And I did for a couple of years, but I ended up with a couple of piles of snow you could ski on. I didn't choose a model with a mid pto so couldn't add a snowblower and I use the tractor all winter with the bucket to haul manure and wouldn't like switching implements that often. I added a B2650 with a front snowblower and cab, and it has been a godsend. Spending a couple hours out in the cold with snow blowing in your face is doable but not all that much fun. But it wouldn't be big enough for your needs.

The Grand L cabs are much nicer than the B2650 ones. They are quieter, in part because the Ls have a better HST transmission.

As far as the cab in the woods, keep in mind with the ROPS and breakable face and arms, you have to trim overhanging branches anyway. None of these tractors is really designed for crashing through the brush and trees. Sticks get in the radiator and fan blades etc.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thank you for the response. I didn’t know this about the Grand L series! Great suggestion. I thought I was stuck with the B series for front mounted blowers.
Be careful when buying a grand L ROPS model without a factory installed mid PTO. Mid PTOs are available for dealer installation at reasonable price but ROPS models do not have the internal shaft factory installed needed to operate the mid PTO. Cab models do.

Installing the mid PTO is a 1 or 2 hour job but installation of the internal shaft requires a split, making dealer installation not cost effective.

Salesperson may not know this or may wish to sell you a ROPS tractor that is in stock.

SDT

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
I am with conropl in recommending a Grand L with a cab for your property. You have a big place and a lot of snow. I have an L3560 no cab and often wish it had a cab. When I got it I just figured a thicker down coat would do, and I'd move all the snow with the fel and a backblade. And I did for a couple of years, but I ended up with a couple of piles of snow you could ski on. I didn't choose a model with a mid pto so couldn't add a snowblower and I use the tractor all winter with the bucket to haul manure and wouldn't like switching implements that often. I added a B2650 with a front snowblower and cab, and it has been a godsend. Spending a couple hours out in the cold with snow blowing in your face is doable but not all that much fun. But it wouldn't be big enough for your needs.

The Grand L cabs are much nicer than the B2650 ones. They are quieter, in part because the Ls have a better HST transmission.

As far as the cab in the woods, keep in mind with the ROPS and breakable face and arms, you have to trim overhanging branches anyway. None of these tractors is really designed for crashing through the brush and trees. Sticks get in the radiator and fan blades etc.
Great input! Thank you!

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
So, I found an L3560 with only 26 hours "used" (if you call it that). It's up for auction with a starting bid of $20,800. No implements, but it does have a cab! Doesn't say it has midPTO, but according to someone's post above this can be assumed . . .

Attachments

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
So, I found an L3560 with only 26 hours "used" (if you call it that). It's up for auction with a starting bid of $20,800. No implements, but it does have a cab! Doesn't say it has midPTO, but according to someone's post above this can be assumed . . .
You cannot assume it has the mid PTO. But with the cab version it is fairly cheap to add ($200-$300). Much more if no cab.

That tractor does not have the loader or loader frame either. You are going to want the loader to do the other work you described (MSRP about $4500).

Also, since that unit has no mirrors, it may be the "Limited" addition which is a lower priced unit with a few less features. Not a problem because it is still a very nice tractor, but you should know that in order to determine a fair price.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
You cannot assume it has the mid PTO. But with the cab version it is fairly cheap to add ($200-$300). Much more if no cab.

That tractor does not have the loader or loader frame either. You are going to want the loader to do the other work you described (MSRP about $4500).
I’ve attached a photo which I believe shows that there is not a mid PTO rigged up?

I’ll have to look for a FEL as you noted.

Attachments

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I’ve attached a photo which I believe shows that there is not a mid PTO rigged up?

I’ll have to look for a FEL as you noted.
Mid PTO - It does not look like it is there. See attached picture.

Loader - Should have frame and hydraulic quick couplers (see attached pictures). Does not look like the frame is there and hydraulics would be on the opposite side shown in picture you posted. So no loader unless they have the parts that have not been installed yet.

All can be added, but you are going to be adding about $5000 plus the blower. I found a used front blower with less than 20 hours on it... that saved me a a lot.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

By the way, the MSRP for the limited version is about $30k. If you can get 10% off that, you are looking at $27k new as currently equipped. In some areas you may be able to get 15% off which would put new at $25.5k. So it seems to be a good price if nothing is wrong.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
Mid PTO - It does not look like it is there. See attached picture.

Loader - Should have frame and hydraulic quick couplers (see attached pictures). Does not look like the frame is there and hydraulics would be on the opposite side shown in picture you posted. So no loader unless they have the parts that have not been installed yet.

All can be added, but you are going to be adding about $5000 plus the blower. I found a used front blower with less than 20 hours on it... that saved me a a lot.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

By the way, the MSRP for the limited version is about $30k. If you can get 10% off that, you are looking at $27k new as currently equipped. In some areas you may be able to get 15% off which would put new at $25.5k. So it seems to be a good price if nothing is wrong.
Thanks for your comments. I did manage to purchase it for that price. I talked to the dealer that was putting it up for auction and he said it was good as new. The owner had died and the wife couldn’t afford the payments. Forgot to ask if it was a Limited Edition, but I looked over all the photos of the tractor and it appears to have all the other stuff on it that the standard edition has. The limited edition tractors say “limited edition” on the hood. This one does not. It has cruise control. Which is not found on the limited editions. So, I’m hoping the mid PTO is there and just can’t be seen in the photo. No big deal, regardless. Tractor arrives on Monday! Now I need to start looking at implements. What to buy first . . .

Appreciate everyone’s input!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
So, I’m hoping the mid PTO is there and just can’t be seen in the photo.
I think the cab model all had the internal bits installed, and just don't have the PTO drive shaft. So it's there, there'll be a small amount of work to take off a blanking plate and put in the drive shaft. But not the massive amount of work if the internals aren't there.

Looks like an excellent buy, hope you're very happy.