Which Kubota is right?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I made this table a few years back when I was looking at the B2601. It's the previous models, but the measures haven't changed.

I agree that the stats don't tell the story. Looking at those stats you'd say the LX (used to be B2650) and the L are pretty similar in capability. They aren't really.

The L2502 motor used to be a 32HP motor. They detuned it and capped the revs very low to keep it under the 26HP threshold, it's making that power at 2200 rpm. There's a turbo kit one of the members makes that will give you about 38hp from the same machine, it's way under stressed at 26hp. That's good - lots of torque, and it'll presumably last forever because it's under almost no strain.

The L is a much heavier machine, and with a tractor weight often equals capability.

But as Neil from Messicks keeps saying, it depends what you're trying to do. Around the house weight isn't needed, light weight is a benefit. If you're putting it on a trailer, light weight is a benefit. If you're pulling a plow or a set of discs or a box blade, then yeah, you need weight.

The L is a less ergonomic machine. Again, as Neil from Messicks keeps saying, it's an economy machine. The LX, and to some extent the B, are more luxury machines. They're nicer to operate, but they cost more money per lb, because of that luxury. The L is the most metal you'll get for your $ in the smaller Kubota tractors.

All of these machines will be fine for your use. I'd personally stay away from the BX for use in the woods. The B, the LX and the L will all do it fine. The L is arguably a bit big, but that's only a problem if your neighbours are going to laugh at you for having a big(ish) machine on a small property.

I think if it were me I'd look closely at the LX, and maybe the B. I'm not so big on the economy tractor - if I was looking at a machine that size I'd go to the Grand-L, which is an excellent machine.

In the same situation I bought the B (spending my own money). Spending your money, I'd definitely go with the LX or the Grand-L.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

slamin81

Nov 7, 2023
austin, indiana
this is a good read, good info, i have 5 acres and found a l2501 86 hrs, 3rd function, fel and new box for $17,900 not sure if it's a good deal or not.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
There are details that are not usually noted when doing comparisons unless someone happens to see that something isn't adding up. For me, one of these was discovering the L4240HSTC turns 27" tighter than the previous tractor - an L3200. When I started using the 4240 it felt more nimble than the 3200 so I measured both of them and the much smaller Ford 1210. The 4240 was also 9" tighter than the 1210.

InTheWoods

Premium Member

Equipment
B7510/FEL, B7100D, ZD18, ASK-R130
Nov 17, 2023
Indiana
:unsure: If Kubota marketing hasn't done it yet, they really need to get a large army of chatbots deployed and into this site so that these 'what tractor should I buy' questions are more definitively answered.

e.g.

OP: "Should I get a BX or a B?"

Chatbot1: "No one ever complained about getting too much tractor"

Chatbot2: "Definitely - I just got a Grand L for my 1.2 acres - beats the hell out of my neighboor and his wimpy B"

Chatbot3: "For sure - don't forget the backhoe!"

OP: "Thanks guys! Headed out to the big K dealer now..."

OP: "It's prefect - The wife will be so surprised"
1717163049758.png

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I suggested an L2502 earlier. But, I recant that.... Somewhat.... Sort of. I'll explain...

OP, do yourself a favor and go to the Kubota website and calculate it all. Find what you need with your tasks for it, on that website. And consider the posts from Kubota owners on here. Great knowledge is here. Not so much from me.. But I continue. Consider your budget and other constraints involved.

Maybe then, go to a Home Depot or Lowes or Farm and Fleet / Fleet Farm, etc., and see the lawn tractors. A BX looks the same as a lawn and garden tractor. But it isn't. (230) BX2680 snow blowing 26" of snow - YouTube

Then, once you know what you need. Then, and only then, go to a Kubota dealer and look at tractors in person. Drive a couple or few of them. See how they feel and fit you. And it will probably blow your mind. You might say: "20K for that toy" or "40K for that beast, now that's a real tractor"! Ya gotta stay true to your need or you'll buy a compromise to your wallet.... leaning on the bigger side.

I'm guessing that you'll buy an LX or L. Or maybe a MX or Grand L. Depending on your wallet size.

You can't have too big of a tractor, but you can have too big of a tractor payment. That you may regret.

For what you need, I think a BX is totally good enuf. But a B is bit better. An LX even better still. But an L is the Best, BUT only if comfort is secondary.

Last edited:

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
I got a B2301 for 1 acre. Completely overkill yes...I liked the extra lift capacity for moving large landscape rocks, and more importantly that is what I wanted. I use it as my mower, and I do not have filled tires...I wanted it as light weight as possible as it's mostly on a lawn. Strongly recommend wheel spacers as it's tall and narrow. Some of my considerations vs. BX, lift capacities (front and back) ground clearance, 3pt position control (helps with a rear blade), 3 range transmission, larger tires when playing in the snow and I wasn't a fan of the BX's transmission cooler and 'backwards' battery/radiator layout. Can not overstate how much I like my tractor....at the end of the day the size difference between a BX and B is measured in inches....it's not much, I view it as a BX with big tires.

Velma

Equipment
B2301, FDR1660, RB1560, SGC0554, Pats QH, CMP Dethatcher
May 12, 2022
MI
This is not correct. They are both 26HP motors, but the B2601 is larger capacity, and makes the 26HP at lower revs.
I do think the B2301 is the same motor as the 2680 (displacement wise)? As mentioned 'detuned' and runs at lower RPM's. Could be adding to the confusion.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
this is a good read, good info, i have 5 acres and found a l2501 86 hrs, 3rd function, fel and new box for $17,900 not sure if it's a good deal or not.
That sounds like good deal to me. Something you can do is check tractor house to compare used machine pricing. Or see what percentage discount that price is from new.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I do think the B2301 is the same motor as the 2680 (displacement wise)? As mentioned 'detuned' and runs at lower RPM's. Could be adding to the confusion.
Yes, I think they are:

BX2380: 898cc / 3200 RPM / 23HP
BX2680: 1001cc / 3200 RPM / 26HP
B2301: 1001cc / 2800 RPM / 23HP
B2601: 1123cc / 2800 RPM / 26HP
LX2610: 1261cc / 2500 RPM / 26HP
L2502: 1647cc / 2200 RPM / 26HP

I assume the BX2680 and B2301 are the same motor, given the same displacement. The lower revs leads to lower power.

Usually all the models in the series have the same RPM. That means they use the same gearbox and PTO gearing, and all give 540RPM at their rated HP. But the L series seems to have different RPM on different models. The L250x are at an unusually low RPM, I think to keep under the 26 HP limit - that same engine would give more HP at higher RPM.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Light work in rough woods, mostly moving brush and snaking logs out
For this use 'bigger' is NOT better' !
You need a small, nimble tractor NOT a huge, megaHP beast.
Reminds me when guys would show up to JEEP events, in high HP pickups, they'd either get stuck or scratch the paint off scraping against the wall of trees, aka the FOREST.
Now IF you have 100 acres of pool table level land to plow or drill, yes 'bigger' is better as it gets the job done faster but you'll pay a penalty for fuel.
When you're in the bush hauling logs out you ain't going fast, weaving between trees !

I've got an inch over 7' to not hit the garage or back deck to get to wife's new garden. A kinda 'L' shaped route and I JUST make it in there with the D-14 and 5' tiller.Anything bigger( longer ) will NOT fit. A 48" tiller on the BX23S would be ideal but cost 3x what the 5' tiller cost 15 years ago.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
:unsure: If Kubota marketing hasn't done it yet, they really need to get a large army of chatbots deployed and into this site so that these 'what tractor should I buy' questions are more definitively answered.

e.g.

OP: "Should I get a BX or a B?"

Chatbot1: "No one ever complained about getting too much tractor"

Chatbot2: "Definitely - I just got a Grand L for my 1.2 acres - beats the hell out of my neighboor and his wimpy B"

Chatbot3: "For sure - don't forget the backhoe!"

OP: "Thanks guys! Headed out to the big K dealer now..."

OP: "It's prefect - The wife will be so surprised"
View attachment 129698
A chatbot isn't necessary. We humans can do pretty much the same job :)

While I don't try to upsell in these responses it's difficult because of my experiences (and mentality). For our 3-1/2 acres there's no need for anything more than a box store machine. I could mow it with a much smaller deck. It would take a lot longer. The last few years there hasn't been much snow to remove, so a rear scraper blade would work. Our first tractor with a loader was a B7500 in 2002, so I used a wheelbarrow instead of a loader from 1990 till 2002.

But. I enjoy equipment. The tractor we now have mows well. For the yard all I need is the tractor and a weedeater. It can do any snow removal, lifts more than necessary, is comfortable and fun to use. It is enough tractor for our place.

rmac802

Equipment
Nothing right now, but former JD850 owner
Jun 10, 2023
Vermont
Hello -- a quick update so you don't think I'm ghosting the site. :) I've taken some time off from thinking about tractors in favor of running around and going to a bunch of weddings. (Tractors are cheaper than weddings, by the way, or at least these weddings.)
Thanks for all the posts. I did not get notified that the newer ones were here, so I didn't see them until this morning. Great information. I'm going to get back on this wagon this week and try to make a decision.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’m with skeets on this. I have both a BX and a B2910, so I got some feel as far as these tractor sizes go.

Initially I bought the B 2910 and the BX 2200 a year later, when I had 3.5 acres to deal with. I got the B-2910 with a backhoe and I never regretted it. My son-in-law has 3.7 acres that are a lot of hillside and he bought a BX 23S which has a loader and a backhoe standard. He has never regretted it.

Money does come into the picture. So I understand if not wanting a backhoe is due to financial reasons. Everybody thinks that they don’t need a backhoe because if they need to do some digging, they will rent an excavator. This makes a lot of sense if you’re going to dig a lot. But when you have a backhoe handy you find you use it to do little things regularly that you would never rent an excavator for. So you get things done that you wouldn’t do otherwise. And I found that as I get older, I like to manually dig things less rather than more.

Also you may think “well I’ll just accumulate a bunch of different things and then rent an excavator”. This may work. Or maybe it doesn’t. I don’t know. Pretty sure for me it wouldn’t work.

Anyway, I also kind of believe that bigger is also always better. Except when I get real with myself.

A BX can be made much more stable than a B tractor. In my opinion for much less cost. When my son-in-law got his BX 23S I bought a pair of 2 inch wheel spacers for him to install, which added a lot to stability (I don’t want my daughter to be a widow too soon ). Also paid half of the just under $400 to get his four tires foam filled which adds a lot of weight down low. Stability is all about height of center of gravity and rear tire width. Doing the same on a B size tractor with the bigger tires would cost considerably more.

Around 12 years ago, I tipped my B-2910 on the side in a situation where I never dreamed I could do that. But it happened. So I am personally very conscious of the dangers of slopes if you need the cross them, rather than go up and down vertically. My BX with foam filled tires and 1 inch spacers (I think, could be 1.5”) on the back, due to having an MMM, is rock solid on cross slopes. The MMM hanging down there and weighing a couple hundred pounds also certainly helps with stability.

So I would ask the following:

Do you expect to gradually be doing more and more,or less and less, as time goes on? I personally found that after a certain point one tends to be doing less and less as he gets older.

Are you absolutely sure you don’t want a backhoe as part of the package? They really are quite hand for small jobs. No doubt as you said in your original post, small backhoe will not do what you want if you’re expectations are too high. The other side of the coin is that an excavator will do some degree tear up the land where it’s working more than a small backhoe on a wheeled tractor will.

My B size tractor will certainly lift more and without question pull harder than the BX. My BX will spin tires doing the things that the B tractor would laugh at, and not lose traction.

All things being equal, the BX can be made much more stable than the B tractor, for a given expenditure.

As mentioned by others above, the BX is more nimble and easily maneuvered around things, relatively speaking

The BX has a lower ground clearance as you mentioned. And while newer BXs may have some kind of a guard installed to protect the HST cooling fan, that really is not enough and should be enhanced by adding an aftermarket guard which is available for not too much money. My son-in-law did this and he doesn’t have a MMM so it’s not an issue at all for him.

After saying all that, if I look at the original 3.7 acres that we had when I bought my tractors, if I wasn’t using the BX to cut grass (for the most part) which is probably now about five or 6 acres worth, I’m not sure which way I would go… My gut tells me a BX 23S would probably do everything that I need at this point in my life. I do know whichever way I went. I would want to have a backhoe. At least if I didn’t have a small, old, mini excavator like I do now. 😬

Another thing is the BX has a smaller cat 1 point hitch than a standard B series. This is undesirable, sometimes, like if you want to use a post hole digger or something along those lines. The BX also does not have a foot clutch. I find this undesirable to some degree. The BX three-point hitch has limited lift compared to a B tractor. The BX also doesn’t have split brakes if you would ever need them.

At the end of the day, it’s a difficult decision. If grass cutting was not part of the equation, then even with just 3.5 acres or so I might actually go for the B series. But I absolutely would want a foot clutch to control the PTO and not the hydraulic clutch like I have on my BX, which just bangs in pretty hard and is something you have very little control over. But whatever I bought, I certainly would want a backhoe as part of the package. If I didn’t have a mini Ex…

Last edited:

rmac802

Equipment
Nothing right now, but former JD850 owner
Jun 10, 2023
Vermont
Good questions, Henro. (This computer really wants you to be a Henry. I hope your screen name survives posting.)
Answers:
1. I expect to be doing less and less. Time is not my friend, plus I hope to run out of big jobs within a couple of years. As I mentioned previously, I don't have a huge parcel (the M4 is definitely out), and some it is not reachable by any tractor, as in the rocky little cliffs.
2. I would absolutely love to have a backhoe, but I don't plan to get one. The backhoe on the Boomer TC29D I borrowed couldn't do most of what I asked of it. Plus, I don't have undercover storage for attachments, and I don't want to spend the money either to buy it or inevitably to repair it. Renting an excavator on demand is clearly less convenient, but the upkeep is on someone else.
3. As I think about all this, the stability and maneuverability of the BX are big pluses, while the extra lift capacity of the B is a big B + (so to speak).

More soon.

Chapel Hill Vann

Equipment
B2601, bush hog, pallet forks, boom pole, scraper blade
May 1, 2022
Chapel Hill NC
I have owned and used tractors since 1982. I have zero experience with the BX series. I purchased a new B2601HSD with FEL in April 2022.I also use pallet forks, rear blade, boom pole, bush hog and ballst box with multiple hand tools capacities.

I use the tractor for lots of chores on our 5 acres plus around the house including moving logs, moving cut firewood, moving utility trailer, scraping a long gravel driveway, moving garden soil and mulch, light grading work, moving gravel, using the FEL to hold cut limbs/brush from pruning and clean up.

Often I am in the woods and have tight clearances and turning radius locations in damp areas.

I love my tractor-and even better is that my wife also loves the tractor. She drives it around the house doing landscaping work and has found the FEL is the best thing ever. The ease of operation is fantastic.

Overall, I have been VERY happy with the B2601. We have found it to be easy and intuitive to operate, mechanically strong and reliable and very effective at saving our bodies from lifting, digging or moving. It’s actually a joy to use.

I would highly recommend the B 2601.It’s the best tractor I have ever owned from any perspective.