Which brand of used UTV has the Best value / least problems?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Good point, I would definitely get one with a rear differential that can also be locked. Both 520 and 700 Pioneers do not have differentials, I'll probably be selling my P520 for this reason.

trackman23

Equipment
MX4800
Nov 22, 2023
NC
Rear diff seems key for me as we will be driving through the lawn at times and don’t want to tear it up.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
100% with you on the rear diff. The little Mule 610 had one and I scratch my head why Honda does not have them on a couple of their models. I also have a Pioneer 520 (which doesn't have one) and that limits it some where I use it. Also power steering can be nice, it's one of those features once you have you probably won't go back to not having it. If you have hills engine braking is nice too, I think most newer CVT SXS's incorporate this anymore but many older ones do not so they can free wheel down hills meaning you just have to be on the brake more.
Personally I like a bench seat and no doors just because it makes it easy to get in and out when working with them, picking up sticks, etc. First thing I did to my Mule Pro MX was remove the doors (and roof) and install a low 1/2 height windshield. Full shields and roofs can be ok but they echo engine noise and are louder.

Last edited:

gened14

Equipment
Kubota B26 TLB, ZD 1211, ZG23, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV, Allis Chalmers 170
Jul 7, 2014
Tennessee
Another vote for a Mule 610. We bought our's new in 2004 and have had zero issues!
The only downside is that it is slow.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Another vote for a Mule 610.
The only downside is that it is slow.
While true, it's not a problem for many uses such as moving mulch, stone, and other chores around the property, riding to the neighbor or mailbox, leisurely rides on trails. At only 52" wide it'll fit on small ATV trails that larger 60"+ wide SXS's can't. They're a stoutly built little machine and they hold their value should you ever want to sell.
While they can get up to 20-22 mph on level they are even slower going up hills. But the low gearing, especially in low range, means they put enough torque to the ground to climb about anything...... just not fast. They also have limited suspension so over rough ground it'll bounce you around if you don't slow down.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
At only 52" wide it'll fit on small ATV trails that larger 60"+ wide SXS's can't.
That's good...if you use it only on flat land. One of the reasons I chose my Can-am was the 65" width. MUCH more stable on a steep, off-camber hillside than a narrow UTV. Seen too many of these things roll.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
There's no flat land around here and I've never had any of my SXS's close to tip. Needless to say I don't ride them across the side of a very steep grade rather more up and down. Same with the zero turn, garden tractor, or regular tractor.
But you're right if you're out in open area where width doesn't restrict you, especially on some of these machines high up off the ground for more clearance, added width is a benefit. Plus 3 people can fit comfortably in them.

But if you want to ride much in the woods or on ATV trails around here with a 65" wide machine you better have a saw and plenty of time. ATV trails in some States limit vehicles to 50" wide or under.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
This is a 2014 Ranger 900XP I bought new.
Back then it was $10.k
But the extras add up. Roof windshield doors winch lift tires&wheels ect.
But I don't beat it. Drive it as want. Foot in carburetor alot. And no break downs.

Attachments

mrmurph1965

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 Loader,
Oct 5, 2021
NWMissouri
I also have a 900XP Ranger Crew. It now has over 8,000 miles and has been trouble free. I use to move logs, pull small trees, spray, and just about anything you might imagine. It's been great, amazing power, and is fun to backroad travel on. I wouldn't buy a Mule but that's just me. Slip the Ranger into 4 low and move about anything.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Your in Bradford Unhdsm....
I haven't stopped at the farm store in ten yrs or more. I was just thinking the other day of taking a ride over there. I used to do business in east Montpellier and travel thru Fairlee and Bradford of course. Lots of farming there.
Nice Ranger.

Reactions: 1 user