Which backhoe is this?

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I bought a B8200 recently it is fitted with the backhoe shown in the attached picture. Can anybody advise me if this is a Kubota unit or a "no-name" Sadly the machine has been sandblasted and painted by a previous owner with little protection to nameplates. I have managed to get the main tractor and FEL data but have drawn a blank with the backhoe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Attachments

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I bought a B8200 recently it is fitted with the backhoe shown in the attached picture. Can anybody advise me if this is a Kubota unit or a "no-name" Sadly the machine has been sandblasted and painted by a previous owner with little protection to nameplates. I have managed to get the main tractor and FEL data but have drawn a blank with the backhoe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Wish I could tell you with any certainty but I would say it is not a Kubota but I must admit I don't know. Maybe a Woods.:confused:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Its hard to say exactly. There are a number of aftermarket FEL's and hoe's out there from Woods, to Bradco to Arps. If you can see the name plate and serial numbers try dabbeling small amounts of paint remover and see if you can get rid of the paint. They name and numbers should be etched into the metal plate and maybe you can blot off the paint and see what you can read.

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Its hard to say exactly. There are a number of aftermarket FEL's and hoe's out there from Woods, to Bradco to Arps. If you can see the name plate and serial numbers try dabbeling small amounts of paint remover and see if you can get rid of the paint. They name and numbers should be etched into the metal plate and maybe you can blot off the paint and see what you can read.
Thanks for the info here, but I should have been more specific in my original post. The nameplate data for the tractor and FEL was recoverable by doing as you state, however there is no nameplate anywhere to be found on the hoe. I can't even find a pattern of broken rivets that would suggest there had been one somewhere. I don't suppose it's a major issue as anything I am liable to need such as seals and pins and bushes I can locate or in the latter case make. I was trying to find the manufacturer to establish the correct oil filter. The annoying thing is it looks a well made job, something that wouldn't surprise mehad it come from Kubota. I have trawled through adverts for Kubota's with backhoes and yet to come across one similar.

Thanks for your taking the time to post

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I had a 70's B 7100 years ago and my BH looked very close to your. It was a woods.
Your boom is a little different but the hyd tank and controls are almost identical to what mine had.

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I had a 70's B 7100 years ago and my BH looked very close to your. It was a woods.
Your boom is a little different but the hyd tank and controls are almost identical to what mine had.
Thanks for the pointer Bulldog. I have looked at lots of Woods hoes and ruled them out as they appeared to be of different construction. I will email Woods a picture and ask them if they can recognise it, (they may have to search their vintage section). I probably have been looking at models of a much newer generation.

The bushings and pins are all imperial sizes which rules out manufacture in mainland europe. I can find no trace of any UK manufacturer, that pretty much leaves the US or Japan. I don't know if Japan was metric in the eighties.

Will advise outcome.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you get time get some pics of the swing cylinders and the frame work where it mounts to the tractor. The one I had was very different from the Kubota BH I now have. Like I said, your boom is not like mine but the controls, tank, ect... look very close to my old one. If I could see more of yours it might help.

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
If you get time get some pics of the swing cylinders and the frame work where it mounts to the tractor. The one I had was very different from the Kubota BH I now have. Like I said, your boom is not like mine but the controls, tank, ect... look very close to my old one. If I could see more of yours it might help.
Bulldog
Find attached picture of main frame and swing cylinders, trust this helps.

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's hard to say. It has some things that are close to what my woods was and some are different. It will be interesting to find out what brand it really is.

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
It's hard to say. It has some things that are close to what my woods was and some are different. It will be interesting to find out what brand it really is.
I have sent pix off to Woods today so fingers crossed they will get back to me. Meanwhile I have redone the bucket and link pins using Oilite bushings and Glacier DU. Some of the old pins are dimensionally reuseable but seem to be made from mild steel. Sometime over the winter will change these to 4140 or similar. By that time I should know if the bushings are going to hold up in Oilite, if not and if I can't identify them by that time will have to make steel replacements.

Time will tell, meanwhile thanks for your attention and trying to help.

Velofelo

Equipment
B8200
Aug 7, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I emailed pictures today to Kubota nd other hoe manufacturers. Best guess as a reply from one company is that it is a Fosters, they also added that they are no longer in business. I had a nose around for pictuires of a Fosters hoe, all I could really find was a clip of one on YouTube. This was on the rear of a tractor and while the picture quality was pretty dark, the boom and arm looked very similar to mine.

I'll call it quits now in trying to establish a maker, there is nothing on it that I can't make or have made. it just would have been handy to have a parts list and be able to get spares off the shelf. I suppose that's the downside of buying an old unit.

Thanks to everybody that replied