When PU's were work trucks

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
There are no trucks built with a solid live axle anymore. My Jeep Wrangler is the only vehicle I’m aware of that is still offered like that.
So Ford's F350/F450 front suspension consisting of a mono beam with coil springs and rear solid axle with leaf springs isn't equivalent to a solid live axle arrangement that I have on my F250, Jeep TJ and M1078? I'm under the impression that other than coil springs up front compared to leaf springs, there's no difference between the solid live axle on my '02 F250 and a '24 F250/F350/F450.

Mono beam is just Ford's marketing gimmick for a sold front axle ... at least, that's my current understanding.

I did a fair amount of work on an ex-gf's Dodge truck that had a car like independent front suspension and not a real tow/working truck suspension. It was always problematic and I hated having to fix things for her on that piece of junk.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had no idea they still use a solid front axle and leaf springs? Other than maybe a dump truck I wouldn't want anything but independent suspension, at least on the front.
Not me. I'll take a solid axle up front since I'm more concerned about longevity and reliability towing big trailers, rather than car-like handling. Coil springs up front are ok since they typically reduce the turning radius, and they do offer more articulation up front compared to leaf springs.

I have solid axles in my '98 Jeep TJ with coil springs all around which work great on challenging trails and obstacles, without the inherent weaknesses of independent suspensions.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hear a lot of complaints on the independent front suspension, but I've had ZERO issues with mine, and it's worked pretty hard.