What torque wrench needed.

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have a B2601 on the way, and need to get a new torque wrench. The two I am looking at have a range of 10-150, and 25-250 ft pounds. I am only using the torque wrench to do my periodical checks of the different bolts. I will have the Backhoe, Belly Mower and the FEL on the tractor.
I looked at the different specs in the on-line manual to try to get an idea which wrench would cover the settings, but thought I would ask for some practical experience. The tractor is only being used on my 12 acres, and not for commercial use. Just trying to keep the torque readings within spec as much as I can.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a B2601 on the way, and need to get a new torque wrench. The two I am looking at have a range of 10-150, and 25-250 ft pounds. I am only using the torque wrench to do my periodical checks of the different bolts. I will have the Backhoe, Belly Mower and the FEL on the tractor.
I looked at the different specs in the on-line manual to try to get an idea which wrench would cover the settings, but thought I would ask for some practical experience. The tractor is only being used on my 12 acres, and not for commercial use. Just trying to keep the torque readings within spec as much as I can.

I looked at the WSM for a B2650 which would be a similar size to your tractor.

The rear wheel torque value is 166 lb-ft

Loader and backhoe attachment bolts will have similar or greater values.

The 25-250 wrench would be best for your expected uses on a new tractor.

On the other hand, if you were into rebuilding engines or transmissions then the accuracy of the lower range torque wrench would be better.

Dave

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Thank you. My mechanical days are over with now. Sold off all the specialty tools I had. Now I find little by little I could have used this tool or that tool and go out and buy more. Don't want to get back into multiple tool boxes again now that I am supposed to be retired!.
I will go for the 25-250 and be done with it. Thanks a lot for the help in deciding.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I bought a torque wrench specifically because my new L2501 required more torque than my old one could measure. I settled on the Craftsman at Lowe's. It goes up to 250 pounds and I thought it a good value.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Thank you. My mechanical days are over with now. Sold off all the specialty tools I had. Now I find little by little I could have used this tool or that tool and go out and buy more. Don't want to get back into multiple tool boxes again now that I am supposed to be retired!.
I will go for the 25-250 and be done with it. Thanks a lot for the help in deciding.
Who are kidding, your mechanical days are over? They have just started. Friends and neighbors will be asking for help and know you have the knowledge. Buy the way where did you say you lived? Just kidding!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I settled on the Craftsman at Lowe's. It goes up to 250 pounds and I thought it a good value.
I have a couple Harbor Freights and a Craftsman too. Like you said, thought the Craftsman was a decent value. Seems better made than the HF.

If I were torqueing an engine re-build, not sure I would trust any of them, but they work for what I'm doing.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Maybe it’s just me, but I would buy all three common sizes (1/4, 3/8, & 1/2) and be done with it.

Ranges overlap, you can get better resolution often when you want it...and you will have the one you need when you need it.

What I have found in life is what I think I only need today doesn’t include what I end up needing tomorrow.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My 2 cents for what it's worth. I have a Snap-On 250 foot pound clicker and a Snap-On 125 inch pound dial wrench, the i/2" foot pound wrench cost over 600 bucks, the inch pound wrench was 150 bucks.

I bought a Harbor Freight Icon 1/2" drive wrench about a month ago. It actually outperforms the Snap-On wrench. In fact, if you lay them side by side, the only difference between the 2 is the logo etched into the barrel., that is it. Torque settings are very accurate, all the settings are machined into the barrel with foot pounds on one side and Newton Meters on the other and just like the Snap-On, it reads clockwise and counter clockwise, cheaper wrench's don't do that, they only read in right hand rotation. I use left hand torque when setting wheel bearings, you cannot do that with a cheap wrench.

Best part is, the Icon is a cheap (compared to Snap-On) wrench, the Icon 1/2" drive clicker is $105 bucks with a lifetime guarantee from HF and yes, HF stands behind their guarantee, I've used it in the past, no issue.

When it comes to torque setting, a manufacturer is pretty picky about the value. Might as well buy a wrench that will achieve that value without over stressing or under tightening a fastener.

My 2 cents. Buy cheap and get cheap or buy slightly over cheap and get something accurate and long lasting.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Interesting explanation, Flip. I don't have a Snap-On torque wrench but your description sure sounds like the Craftsman I purchased - even to the etched scales in foot pounds and newton meters as well as the ability to go both ways for torque. And one of the best features is the ten percent ex military discount I get at Lowe's which I don't get at HF. I know, they have coupons and stuff so I guess it's a wash.