What is the perfect tractor for you, if you could have any tractor you wanted, and why?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I’d keep the L4701. Took a hard look at CTL’s and Ventrac when I was shopping for a long term solution for our property but thought at the time neither would fully address our needs. We had smaller 2WD antiques previously. No way I’d want smaller. Going bigger would require significant changes to the property or restrict it from some places I want/need it to go. Maybe there’s some confirmation bias at work, but I’m happy with what I have.

Would prefer to not have the DPF, but that’s another topic. I can’t stand a ~46% HP reduction just to avoid emissions.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Simply interested in what others like or dislike in tractors, functions, etc. Always something to learn…
myself ?..i don't have deep pockets like some on here ?, i'm just happy to have what i have..and it does what i ask of it. i put a crap load of hrs, money into breathing life back into my little ole b2100, my first tractor i have ever worked on , let alone fixed ?!..lol. when i was done, i patted myself on the back..''well done '' !..you just saved yourself 30k ?!..rofl.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’d keep the L4701. Took a hard look at CTL’s and Ventrac when I was shopping for a long term solution for our property but thought at the time neither would fully address our needs. We had smaller 2WD antiques previously. No way I’d want smaller. Going bigger would require significant changes to the property or restrict it from some places I want/need it to go. Maybe there’s some confirmation bias at work, but I’m happy with what I have.

Would prefer to not have the DPF, but that’s another topic. I can’t stand a ~46% HP reduction just to avoid emissions.
I understand that I MAY experience some issues down the road with the DPF, but I’m actually pleased with the system. I had an older 2000 year JD tractor that I sold because every time I used it for longer than about 30 minutes, I would get a splitting sinus headache from the diesel exhaust. I can run my newer tier 4 MX for hours without having a headache.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Good day.

I don’t think I would want to settle for just one….for me id want to add to the series. I like having both a small and mid size machine. I guess to make the perfect series I’d be willing to add a cabbed M4 to the line up….but I’d get more use out of a CTL if I could add that vs a tractor. ☕
Agreed, depending upon property, conditions, etc.

I've owned many tractors, mowers, etc., and consider my L6060 the best of all for most of what I have done, aside from lawn.

KubotaHawg

Equipment
L2800DT, LA463, Landpride ΒΒ1260, RCR1260
Jan 9, 2022
NW Arkansas
myself ?..i don't have deep pockets like some on here ?, i'm just happy to have what i have..and it does what i ask of it. i put a crap load of hrs, money into breathing life back into my little ole b2100, my first tractor i have ever worked on , let alone fixed ?!..lol. when i was done, i patted myself on the back..''well done '' !..you just saved yourself 30k ?!..rofl.
I did the same—after owning 3 tractors previously I did the research and then searched for 6 months for a 15 year old tractor that was perfect for me with fairly low hours.
Since then I’ve replaced every hydraulic hose, fluid, fan belt, and bad pins on the bucket. Worth the money I saved buying new and I like doing the work to keep it going.
At the end of the day this machine is perfect for me and it’s paid for.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The best tractor for me is the one that's has good long term reliability, is robustly built, fuel efficient, has good dealership support, cost effective parts and consumables, easy maintenance, good mechanical and hydraulic capabilities, is comfortable to operate and has a quiet operator cabin with heat and AC. One day I'll find it...

KubotaHawg

Equipment
L2800DT, LA463, Landpride ΒΒ1260, RCR1260
Jan 9, 2022
NW Arkansas
I say other than teaching pigs to whistle, what good is it to know what someone else dreams about? I totally get it when someone asks "what is the best overall tractor you've ever owned"?
Forgot to mention—don’t care about teaching pigs to whistle we’ll leave that to Vandy. I would like to teach pigs how to bat with runners in scoring position however :mad:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'll have a L-47, please.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
For my acre of forested property, my LX2610 with cab does everything I've asked of it. Haul trees, pull stumps, spread gravel, throw snow, all with no DPF.

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I did the same—after owning 3 tractors previously I did the research and then searched for 6 months for a 15 year old tractor that was perfect for me with fairly low hours.
Since then I’ve replaced every hydraulic hose, fluid, fan belt, and bad pins on the bucket. Worth the money I saved buying new and I like doing the work to keep it going.
At the end of the day this machine is perfect for me and it’s paid for.
amen !. yep..when i found my b2100 ?, i knew going in..it would run..but not move, then i started reading how they worked. welpp..right then i knew i had a large job ahead of me. what i did not know ?..was how high the parts were going to be ?..and...which parts were still around ?..lol. sooo..i dug in, forked out a crap load of cash (more than i wanted to for sure ! )..and got it done. once i got it to move ?, then it was time to go completely through everything, engine oil, hydro oil, all filters, belt. next on the list was tires ?..oh lord was i shocked on tire prices. i discovered how well turf tires were in soft, wet grass, and mud ?..yeah..they sux !..lol. decided to go with ag tires, new kubota rims ( found out the turf tire rims won't work on ag tires after doing some reading, thanks kubota !!..rofl ). all said and done, i have a tractor that is perfect for what i use it for, and like you said..it's paid for !..those are the best tractors hands down..lol.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For most of us who researched before buying, we have the perfect tractor for all different reasons. My L2501HST has enough power, economical and should be durable as a non-DPF tractor for a very long time.

If you throw out durability and economy, there is no doubt that I'd buy a MX6000 with a cab. That being said, I don't use my tractor even every week much less every day. So, the L2501HST is perfect ... for me.
"Durability and economy" are interesting words. There's no evidence that an MX6000 with DPF won't be durable, or won't be economical. Perhaps doing jobs faster is more economical to some than spending three, four or more times longer with a smaller tractor.

I would be interested to see any evidence that a DPF tractor is less durable than a non-DPF model. There's a member here with over 2,000 trouble-free hours on his MX so just what does "durable" mean?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
"Durability and economy" are interesting words. There's no evidence that an MX6000 with DPF won't be durable, or won't be economical. Perhaps doing jobs faster is more economical to some than spending three, four or more times longer with a smaller tractor.

I would be interested to see any evidence that a DPF tractor is less durable than a non-DPF model. There's a member here with over 2,000 trouble-free hours on his MX so just what does "durable" mean?
I think same thing about thread title ‘perfect’ tractor…what is ‘perfect’? i really like this topic/thread and seeing what each prefers/unique situation…but what is perfect? everyone has very different use case. I think we all have different criteria for perfect. Durability may be similar? However if believe in PPH or PPM, then more parts is less simple(maybe that is not durability though?)…but there are some benefits too.

I still think tractor is like socket wrenches…different fittings for different tasks and better than a spanner in some cases…still very handy to have different sizes of socket wrenches and fittings. Just my opinion for my uses. Basically no such thing as perfect. I want a shop full of them…variety is the spice of tractorin’ 😂

papajoe

Equipment
L3901DT Shuttle (2017), B6100E (1978), B6100E (1979), B6100HST-E (1985), RTV500
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
My tax lady told me that I will need to buy a new tractor next year. I have a 3901DT now, it is perfect for my operation. I will keep it and buy a new 3902DT. I raise about five acres of produce, and have a little over 200 acres (mostly woods) and 1/2 mile of driveway to maintain.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
"Durability and economy" are interesting words.
When I bought my L2501, it was about half price of a MX6000 cab. That makes the L2501 economy. For what I do, I don’t think the MX can work twice as fast with the same implements. If you want to use larger ones, that increases the costs.

There are less parts on the L. All else being equal it will be durable. Maybe your MX will be as durable.