What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Small camper tongue was on the ground, couldn't get a jack under it without digging. 3 pt hitch picked it up then put blocking under to reset. Better than a shovel.

otter

Equipment
L3800, LA524 loader, BH77 backhoe, thumb, box blade small wood lot log grapple
Sep 26, 2014
Chase, Alaska
Busy logging beetle killed white spruce and then milling them to use Building a rental cabin next summer. Found the best tractor skidding method is a chain around the log to the bucket, lift and drag. Helps keep most of the log clean.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
WFM, I think you're wasting your time and money having your septic tank pumped every two years!

Might start an argument, like asking what is the best oil. But get the bacteria growing and leave it alone.

The line comes into the tank, and the solids go to the bottom. On the effluent side is a "T". The run of the tee faces the inside of the tank, the other run goes to your lateral lines, the branch of the "T" faces down and has about 15" of pipe in it. All the solids in your tank have to accumulate deep enough to reach the bottom of that pipe to get to your lateral line or plug up.

Look on line to discover how a septic tank works. You'll overcome your fear of a problem!

99redgtp

Equipment
2018 L3560 (LA805, BH92)
Jul 7, 2018
Canaseraga NY
We loaded 70 sheets of 3/4***8221; plywood onto my trailer and loaded a trailer load of dimensional lumber (2x4, 2x6, 2x12), and some other stuff. Used my new L3560 to load the lumber, and used my dads L4600 to unload the first load. We had to leave the L3560 at the cabin we got the stuff from because I didn***8217;t have enough trailer and we had to make two trips. Here are a few pictures I took. I***8217;ll get some of the load of lumber on my trailer.

Dads L4600 and the stack of plywood

My brother hauling my L3560. I dont have a weight box yet so we basically used my backhoe for counter weight

Heres the lumber we loaded on my trailer.

Last edited:

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Busy logging beetle killed white spruce and then milling them to use Building a rental cabin next summer. Found the best tractor skidding method is a chain around the log to the bucket, lift and drag. Helps keep most of the log clean.
We will wave at you Tuesday evening when we fly in!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
WFM, I think you're wasting your time and money having your septic tank pumped every two years!

Might start an argument, like asking what is the best oil. But get the bacteria growing and leave it alone.
Like 'Cat, I'm not looking to start anything, but he's absolutely right.

Too often is MUCH better than not enough.

Unless there's a bunch of use or a garbage disposal, 4-6 years is good. If you have a GD, tanks should be up-sized, and I personally would pump them at 2 years......a disposal isn't too great on an on-site sewage system..

Also, never use septic tank additives...they purport to digest/eliminate the tank sludge, which you really want to keep IN THE TANK...because it will end up in your absorption area, which you want to keep clean....

WFM - - Welcome Back!!

Last edited:

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX

The line comes into the tank, and the solids go to the bottom. On the effluent side is a "T". The run of the tee faces the inside of the tank, the other run goes to your lateral lines, the branch of the "T" faces down and has about 15" of pipe in it. All the solids in your tank have to accumulate deep enough to reach the bottom of that pipe to get to your lateral line or plug up.

Look on line to discover how a septic tank works. You'll overcome your fear of a problem!
You hit the nail on the head.
Keep the "bugs" growing and the'll take care of most everything.
One cheap way to do it is with yeast. Dissolve a few packets in warm water and pour it down the drain.
Anything that promotes bacteria growth including the more expensive box store stuff ( but be very careful of what it's for) is what you need.
Oldtimers would often use soured or buttermilk, but usually went for the soured since buttermilk was often the drink or mixer of choice.

Last edited:

Kevin1

Equipment
Husqvarna MZT 52, BX2380,FEL, Box blade, Landscape Rake
Dec 15, 2017
New Bern, N.C.
I ran out of fill dirt, saw that my neighbor had a truckload sitting in his yard with a wheel barrel and shovel next to it. I asked if he needed some help moving that dirt... He was happy.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I had the guy pump out our tank last year. 10 years since the previous pumping, and no issues at all - only did it to keep the home insurance company happy. The tank guy told me that when people use antibacterial soap or too many cleaners that kill the bacteria, he tells them to throw in some roadkill after he pumps it out - a dead raccoon or possum will add the necessary bacteria to get things going again.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I had the guy pump out our tank last year. 10 years since the previous pumping, and no issues at all - only did it to keep the home insurance company happy. The tank guy told me that when people use antibacterial soap or too many cleaners that kill the bacteria, he tells them to throw in some roadkill after he pumps it out - a dead raccoon or possum will add the necessary bacteria to get things going again.
Never heard about doing it that way, but then again it's bacteria.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Like 'Cat, I'm not looking to start anything, but he's absolutely right.

Too often is MUCH better than not enough.

Unless there's a bunch of use or a garbage disposal, 4-6 years is good. If you have a GD, tanks should be up-sized, and I personally would pump them at 2 years......a disposal isn't too great on an on-site sewage system..

Also, never use septic tank additives...they purport to digest/eliminate the tank sludge, which you really want to keep IN THE TANK...because it will end up in your absorption area, which you want to keep clean....

WFM - - Welcome Back!!
Neighbors gotta have there's pumped every 4 years. Just a couple that lives there. Had mine pumped last year. Was the first time since we moved into the house 8 years prior. Could go 10 years without issue.

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I copied this from a previous post I made, in relation to skidding logs with the FEL. Don't want to start a new discussion just a caution warning from my life's experiences.

A log skidding horror story, many years ago my brother in laws father owned I believe the first Kubota Dealership in Vermont circa early to mid-70***8217;s. Not long after this ownership started the service work also began to come in. I went with my brother in law and on a service call into the Vermont woods in January to look at a tractor the owner said broke, what I can remember with no more explanation than that, broke. Upon arriving at the logging site after about 45 min to an hour of walking we found the tractor, a large framed Orange beast for its day, I would guess about 35-45 HP, I do not remember the model. Yes, the tractor was broke, literally in half, hanging on 2 bent bolts and a guide pin between the engine and transmission housing. We stabilized the frame by placing logs etc. under the engine and transmission to keep the tractor from completely coming apart and left to return another day with more than a small tool box of hand tools.
The owner was skidding logs with the FEL, yes, hooking chains to the welded bucket hooks and attaching them to the log. It appeared and the subsequent conversation with the owner confirmed it. What had transpired, he was skidding full length tree logs 8***8221;-12***8221; in diameter for firewood. My recollection, this particular log was a 20-30 foot long and it got hung between some standing trees and the owner kept pulling trying to free the log, he said he had done it may times with no issue. To my recollection there was no damage done to the FEL.
Upon returning a couple days later with another tractor and a lot more than a small toolbox we used come-along, chain and binders along with a small I beam to pull the tractor back together and support its broken back. I do not remember how long it took bind and tow the non-running tractor out of the woods but remember being very cold and most of the day being shot. Fortunately no serious damage was done to the tractor as I recall beyond some slightly pulled threads and chipped bolt holes. A couple days of drilling the broken bolts out and re-tapping threaded holes, the tractor was put back together with no apparent lasting issue. I do not know if the owner of the tractor continued logging in the same manor after its return. This failure did give us the idea to make a small log winch similar to what you would find on a commercial log skidder of the day with success. We used a Woods PTO Hyd pump for power, but it was too expensive to manufacture or sell at the time so we owned and used the only one made.
I would guess the moral of this story is to use the equipment as intended, and if it looks like a bad idea, it probably is. And, just because you got away with a bad idea once does not ensure you always will.

Last edited:

W7AX

Equipment
L4310 HST, Bush hog mower, two different buckets for front end loader, Land box
Mar 23, 2018
Polson, Montana
I copied this from a previous post I made, in relation to skidding logs with the FEL. Don't want to start a new discussion just a caution warning from my life's experiences.

A log skidding horror story, many years ago my brother in laws father owned I believe the first Kubota Dealership in Vermont circa early to mid-70***8217;s. Not long after this ownership started the service work also began to come in. I went with my brother in law and on a service call into the Vermont woods in January to look at a tractor the owner said broke, what I can remember with no more explanation than that, broke. Upon arriving at the logging site after about 45 min to an hour of walking we found the tractor, a large framed Orange beast for its day, I would guess about 35-45 HP, I do not remember the model. Yes, the tractor was broke, literally in half, hanging on 2 bent bolts and a guide pin between the engine and transmission housing. We stabilized the frame by placing logs etc. under the engine and transmission to keep the tractor from completely coming apart and left to return another day with more than a small tool box of hand tools.
The owner was skidding logs with the FEL, yes, hooking chains to the welded bucket hooks and attaching them to the log. It appeared and the subsequent conversation with the owner confirmed it. What had transpired, he was skidding full length tree logs 8***8221;-12***8221; in diameter for firewood. My recollection, this particular log was a 20-30 foot long and it got hung between some standing trees and the owner kept pulling trying to free the log, he said he had done it may times with no issue. To my recollection there was no damage done to the FEL.
Upon returning a couple days later with another tractor and a lot more than a small toolbox we used come-along, chain and binders along with a small I beam to pull the tractor back together and support its broken back. I do not remember how long it took bind and tow the non-running tractor out of the woods but remember being very cold and most of the day being shot. Fortunately no serious damage was done to the tractor as I recall beyond some slightly pulled threads and chipped bolt holes. A couple days of drilling the broken bolts out and re-tapping threaded holes, the tractor was put back together with no apparent lasting issue. I do not know if the owner of the tractor continued logging in the same manor after its return. This failure did give us the idea to make a small log winch similar to what you would find on a commercial log skidder of the day with success. We used a Woods PTO Hyd pump for power, but it was too expensive to manufacture or sell at the time so we owned and used the only one made.
I would guess the moral of this story is to use the equipment as intended, and if it looks like a bad idea, it probably is. And, just because you got away with a bad idea once does not ensure you always will.
That's the third early tractor I know of that broke in half. I saw one that the casing actually broke from the engine. I don't think the engineering was there in that day like it is now.

otter

Equipment
L3800, LA524 loader, BH77 backhoe, thumb, box blade small wood lot log grapple
Sep 26, 2014
Chase, Alaska

Thanks for the heads up. My logs are 17 foot length and 24” or less at the butt end. Standing dry with 20% moisture when opened up. Not as heavy as some folks deal with.
The skid is never forced/if the logs do not pull easily I find out why.
Any recent tractors being pulled apart with this practice?

npalen

Equipment
B9200
Feb 10, 2016
Beloit, KS
Any other stories or pictures of CUT's being "broken" due to overloading the FEL? I doubt that it is a common thing but interesting nonetheless.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Seems like it would be much easier to just flush a couple packets of yeast occasionally.
If you use dry, don't forget to dissolve it in luke warm water to activate it.
Had a septic in the house I was raised in, dad always used cake yeast.
In the 18 years I lived there never had the tank pumped out.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Today I unloaded a tractor trailer with a pallet of plastic jugs for a customer.
BUT my real reason for posting here is to ask a question. Yes another septic question. This time about the septic tank itself. Its a 1000 gallon rectangle cast cement tank. It was put into the ground 1996 I believe. And since I've had my tractor I got in May 2013. I use the bucket and dig the 24" of dirt off the top to find the cover. I go forward and take 6" - 8" at a time piling it up a few feet beyond. And by doing this I'm driving the front tires across and empting the bucket and backing back across. The rear tires never go onto the tank. After I got it cleaned off. I take a shovel to scrap it down then a broom to sweep all around the cover. But this time I see there are two cracks in the top of the tank. A thin hairline crack. But two of them. Are they caused by my tractor driving across it by any chance ? I still need to drive the front wheels across to pull the dirt back with the bucket. Should I worry about taking a swim ?

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
As far as I know, there are two types of concrete. That which has cracked and that which will crack.

I drive my L3940 over mine all the time...

My $0.02.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Cleaned the chicken coop tonight so used my finish mower as a carryall to bring down some straw bails and haul the gold up to next years garden plot. Then loaded it up with bags of mulch and delivered it around.

Last edited: