What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We finally received a good rain, a little over two inches. Spent a few hours on Saturday mowing and hoping for more rain.

20230715_142859.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Looked at my tractor today. Going to be 93 and a rh in the 60s. I think I'll do some indoor chores 😄

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Looked at my tractor today. Going to be 93 and a rh in the 60s. I think I'll do some indoor chores 😄
I know its all relative to what you are used to, but where I am....it will be 93°F by 10:30 this morning and won't drop below that until about 9:00 O'Clock tonight.

Daytime high will exceed 100°F today. Humidity currently 78%.

But yeah, indoor chores need to be done too. (y)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Left the house today at 5:00am for a fat bike ride, temp was 93F.
Got in 10mi, but then that sun came up & started baking my a$$, so that is it for today.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I know its all relative to what you are used to, but where I am....it will be 93°F by 10:30 this morning and won't drop below that until about 9:00 O'Clock tonight.

I feel for you guys.
Will be high of 85 today, and humidity 88%.
That is hot,...... wind is off the ocean, but that also influences humidity.
No central air here.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

This is true. If something needed to be done, I wouldn't have a problem doing it outside. Fortunately, today, I can choose.
Interestingly enough, out heat index is not forecasted to be much different from yours. You probably lack the wafting scent of Canadian fires though.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
This is true. If something needed to be done, I wouldn't have a problem doing it outside. Fortunately, today, I can choose.
Interestingly enough, out heat index is not forecasted to be much different from yours. You probably lack the wafting scent of Canadian fires though.
^^^^^^

Yep, not much chance it will make it this far South.

We have a different problem coming across our border, I'd prefer the smoke.

Hope they get the fires under control. Got to be rough on the those Canucks....EH?

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I introduced a young man studying wildlife and habitat work to tractors and grapples. Impressive young person, listened to my safety talk, operation and controls and not once did he take his phone out and look at it!

Since purchasing my habitat restoration property I have met some great youngsters. It is easy to think that all are living in their parents basements and gaming 18 hours a day. There is Hope out there! 👍😀😉

View attachment 107425
Good for you Ken! I had the same experience at the feed mill Friday with the nice young man filling my order. I told the owner when I paid my bill that he was lucky to have such a nice young man working for him. He said, yep I'am lucky to have him and he never looks at his phone! There is hope!

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
About a year ago my wife bought this thing for the cat so he can sit outside without getting gone or getting eaten by the wild things in the world beyond. It was cheap (I think about $40 on clearance) and decently made except it had this stupid flat roof made out of MDF wrapped in roll roofing face screwed onto the top rails and nowhere for the water to go. She wanted it put up as is so whatever, and the cat loves it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. After a year the top was near collapse, so time for a re-roof.
IMG_1036.png

One problem I have currently is stuff scattered across various buildings. The lumber is split between three buildings and the woodworking stuff is mostly at my house with a little bit at the common shop.

I used to do some furniture building but quit because I pretty much built everything we wanted, built for customers for long enough to pay for all the equipment a couple of times over, and quit after deciding customers in general are irritating to the point of sucking the joy out of a hobby sideline, turning it into just another job. So a lot of the woodworking stuff is crammed in one corner of my shop area. The lumber I needed for this project was at the common shop area. For this little roof deal I had to rip a 74” long 1” wide strip at a 4/12 angle to match the roof pitch so I rooted out the tablesaw and forked it to the common shop.
IMG_1021.jpeg

It isn’t a fancy cabinet saw. It’s what I’d consider a two man contractor saw. As in you can pop the motor off in about 5 seconds and two reasonably fit guys can set it in the back of a pickup being it’s only about 275lb with the motor and somewhat less without.

It got me to thinking as I was driving away with the saw, why loader forks are better than friends:
  1. My forks don’t have chronic orthopedic problems that restrict their weight lifting to 50lb without complaining; 75lb with grumbling; 100lb intermittent with full on bitching. At my age, most of my friends do.
  2. My forks don’t have to ask their wife before coming over.
  3. If I want my forks to shut up, I can turn off the engine.
  4. My forks don’t expect return favors.
  5. If my forks don’t like the way I’m doing something, they mind their own business and don’t say anything about it.
  6. My forks don’t hang around forever after I’m ready for them to leave.
  7. My wife gets along great with my forks. She’s never accused them of being a bad influence; never asked where we’re going, what we’re doing, or when we’ll be back.
  8. Yes, I spent a few hundred dollars on my forks the first time I met them. Haven’t spent a dime on them since. They haven’t even asked to borrow money.
  9. They’ve been around me long enough now they have to have picked up on some of my more obvious faults but they never give me any crap about them.
  10. Forks can hand stuff from the ground straight to the roof on a one story.
IMG_1031.jpeg
New roof. I’ll put the trim back on to cover the very effective, yet aesthetically unacceptable, Great Stuff after the paint on the new part is thoroughly dry. Yes, it slopes downhill. That was an unsuccessful attempt to maybe get the flat roof to shed water enough to not fall apart immediately.
IMG_1030.jpeg
Then continued the almost done project of thinning out some of the overgrown landscaping at my father’s old house. 3 of the 4 people who live on the property disliked this bush. The fourth (me) didn’t care. Wonderful as the forks are, this was a job for the grapple. Took a short trip to the junk heap, then used the boxblade to fix up the hole left by the root ball. After that pulled a few T posts that were part of the electric fence around the beehives. Gave the bees away so don’t need the fence.

Edit: Maybe someday I’ll list off 10 reasons friends are better than forks. If I can come up with 10.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
About a year ago my wife bought this thing for the cat so he can sit outside without getting gone or getting eaten by the wild things in the world beyond. It was cheap (I think about $40 on clearance) and decently made except it had this stupid flat roof made out of MDF wrapped in roll roofing face screwed onto the top rails and nowhere for the water to go. She wanted it put up as is so whatever, and the cat loves it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. After a year the top was near collapse, so time for a re-roof. View attachment 107513
One problem I have currently is stuff scattered across various buildings. The lumber is split between three buildings and the woodworking stuff is mostly at my house with a little bit at the common shop.

I used to do some furniture building but quit because I pretty much built everything we wanted, built for customers for long enough to pay for all the equipment a couple of times over, and quit after deciding customers in general are irritating to the point of sucking the joy out of a hobby sideline, turning it into just another job. So a lot of the woodworking stuff is crammed in one corner of my shop area. The lumber I needed for this project was at the common shop area. For this little roof deal I had to rip a 74” long 1” wide strip at a 4/12 angle to match the roof pitch so I rooted out the tablesaw and forked it to the common shop. View attachment 107514
It isn’t a fancy cabinet saw. It’s what I’d consider a two man contractor saw. As in you can pop the motor off in about 5 seconds and two reasonably fit guys can set it in the back of a pickup being it’s only about 275lb with the motor and somewhat less without.

It got me to thinking as I was driving away with the saw, why loader forks are better than friends:
  1. My forks don’t have chronic orthopedic problems that restrict their weight lifting to 50lb without complaining; 75lb with grumbling; 100lb intermittent with full on bitching. At my age, most of my friends do.
  5. If my forks don’t like the way I’m doing something, they mind their own business and don’t say anything about it.
  7. My wife gets along great with my forks. She’s never accused them of being a bad influence; never asked where we’re going, what we’re doing, or when we’ll be back.
  8. Yes, I spent a few hundred dollars on my forks the first time I met them. Haven’t spent a dime on them since. They haven’t even asked to borrow money.
  9. They’ve been around me long enough now they have to have picked up on some of my more obvious faults but they never give me any crap about them.
View attachment 107515 New roof. I’ll put the trim back on to cover the very effective, yet aesthetically unacceptable, Great Stuff after the paint on the new part is thoroughly dry. Yes, it slopes downhill. That was an unsuccessful attempt to maybe get the flat roof to shed water enough to not fall apart immediately.
View attachment 107516 Then continued the almost done project of thinning out some of the overgrown landscaping at my father’s old house. 3 of the 4 people who live on the property disliked this bush. The fourth (me) didn’t care. Wonderful as the forks are, this was a job for the grapple. Took a short trip to the junk heap, then used the boxblade to fix up the hole left by the root ball. After that pulled a few T posts that were part of the electric fence around the beehives. Gave the bees away so don’t need the fence.

Edit: Maybe someday I’ll list off 10 reasons friends are better than forks. If I can come up with 10.
After that: Maybe someday, 10 reasons why a BH is better than either friends or forks (for some jobs)?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
About a year ago my wife bought this thing for the cat so he can sit outside without getting gone or getting eaten by the wild things in the world beyond. It was cheap (I think about $40 on clearance) and decently made except it had this stupid flat roof made out of MDF wrapped in roll roofing face screwed onto the top rails and nowhere for the water to go. She wanted it put up as is so whatever, and the cat loves it. Surprised it lasted as long as it did. After a year the top was near collapse, so time for a re-roof. View attachment 107513

I used to do some furniture building but quit because I pretty much built everything we wanted, built for customers for long enough to pay for all the equipment a couple of times over, and quit after deciding customers in general are irritating to the point of sucking the joy out of a hobby sideline, turning it into just another job. So a lot of the woodworking stuff is crammed in one corner of my shop area. The lumber I needed for this project was at the common shop area. For this little roof deal I had to rip a 74” long 1” wide strip at a 4/12 angle to match the roof pitch so I rooted out the tablesaw and forked it to the common shop. View attachment 107514

View attachment 107515 New roof. I’ll put the trim back on to cover the very effective, yet aesthetically unacceptable, Great Stuff after the paint on the new part is thoroughly dry. Yes, it slopes downhill. That was an unsuccessful attempt to maybe get the flat roof to shed water enough to not fall apart immediately.
View attachment 107516 Then continued the almost done project of thinning out some of the overgrown landscaping at my father’s old house. 3 of the 4 people who live on the property disliked this bush. The fourth (me) didn’t care. Wonderful as the forks are, this was a job for the grapple. Took a short trip to the junk heap, then used the boxblade to fix up the hole left by the root ball. After that pulled a few T posts that were part of the electric fence around the beehives. Gave the bees away so don’t need the fence.

I think you should start a separate thread on reasons why forks better than friends…I’d like to add that forks don’t waste good bourbon…forks do not ask for good bourbon to be watered down with soda.

• Haha

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Not from today but another use for our tractors 👊
Who ever thought that deer were that strong to be able to pull a tractor when your engine conks out?

Not me !

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users