What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
D2 like a stretched out contact lens, a long oval to support the edge of the blower which is about 18" deep where the skids are. Bearbait I'll look forward to hearing about your next experiment :)
When the frost is in the ground and the top couple of inches thaw during a warm up, I am not sure if anything will float on top without digging in. That top thawed layer is pretty much saturated with water that has no place to go with the frost below. You probably can't walk across those areas without sinking in to your ankles. If the area isn't flat the scalping and digging in will be even worse with something as long as a snowblower.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
When the frost is in the ground and the top couple of inches thaw during a warm up, I am not sure if anything will float on top without digging in. That top thawed layer is pretty much saturated with water that has no place to go with the frost below. You probably can't walk across those areas without sinking in to your ankles. If the area isn't flat the scalping and digging in will be even worse with something as long as a snowblower.
You're right about the thaw after there is some frost in the ground, you should see what the 3560 did to the pasture yesterday, but I was thinking about the snow falls before the ground even thought about freezing. Snow nicely insulated that grass, gravel. Had a nice base built up,'but it melted off on Monday:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Melting???

What is this obscure principal you talk about??? :confused:

We have 18" of snow and more on the way!

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Melting???

What is this obscure principal you talk about??? :confused:

We have 18" of snow and more on the way!
Normally this time of year that's what we'd be looking forward to but this week it's worst....raining that hard the dog's are looking at me as if I'm crazy when I ask them if they need to go pee. Looks like we'll be leaving the suv out the road this week and be going back and forth on the atv so we don't tear up the road.
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ns-31_metric_e.html

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
We got 14" on christmas/boxing day and more coming today. I hope it isnt too much, have to catch a plane for our vacation on the 1st. Temp is droppng in the next few days so our timing cant be better.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
All I did was go pick mine up from the dealer. No time to play with it yet but that will come in time. Now I have to order some hooks from Ken, then paint and install them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Now that's purdy!!

I even see some green grass - not much of that 'round here!

I know you've been researching here at OTT for a bit getting ready for today....now it's time to put that puppy to work!

Enjoy!!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks, that picture was 2 hrs north of here, even more green grass here at home.

I won't get to use it until March but I have plenty work for it next year. It's going to kill me just looking at it for the next 2 months.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I won't get to use it until March
If it's parked nearby, you may find it's the most expensive wheelbarrow you ever owned!!;)

(I did, and don't use a wheelbarrow anymore:p)

Again, it's a beauty and hope you enjoy it as much as I do my little BX.

Oh, and welcome to OTT! Like you, I joined shortly before I bought my tractor, for all the same reasons you obviously did. Great group here!

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
If it's parked nearby, you may find it's the most expensive wheelbarrow you ever owned!!;)

(I did, and don't use a wheelbarrow anymore:p)

Again, it's a beauty and hope you enjoy it as much as I do my little BX.

Oh, and welcome to OTT! Like you, I joined shortly before I bought my tractor, for all the same reasons you obviously did. Great group here!

Thanks, and yes there are some terrific members here. It is parked in my 2nd driveway in front of my camper for now but will be relocated some 2 hrs north at my property in Mississippi and I am sure I will enjoy it as you have yours.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not to be a bad influence :D
Funny - I don't think anyone on OTT would ever think of you as a bad influence! Now I don't know anything about your reputation in Michigan.....;)

Bowhunter - if you ever have regen/Tier IV or dash control questions, sheepfarmer is the expert. She's done her homework!

Best wishes, and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Nice! Sick day? MLK day? Presidents day? Not to be a bad influence :D

Well actually I could quit and go back into retirement tomorrow but they called me back asking for my help and paying me well so I can't do that to them. It's a great company with great employees and they treated me well for 35 years so I will just have to suck it up till March, oh and yes you are a bad influence :)

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Bowhunter - if you ever have regen/Tier IV or dash control questions, sheepfarmer is the expert. She's done her homework!

Funny you should mention that, Sheepfarmer and I have already discussed the DPF/Regen situation lol.

Happy New Year to you as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
D2 like a stretched out contact lens, a long oval to support the edge of the blower which is about 18" deep where the skids are. Bearbait I'll look forward to hearing about your next experiment :)
Sheepfarmer - I bet your snowblower shoes are different than mine, but here is what I did last summer.

Excuse my crappy welding and crude finish work, but so far they have been great on my stone driveway.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26494&highlight=skid+shoe+modification

One thing, a PTO driven snowblower really doesn't like to be "steered" much. Try to keep most of your passes in a straight line, more or less...

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheepfarmer - I bet your snowblower shoes are different than mine, but here is what I did last summer.

Excuse my crappy welding and crude finish work, but so far they have been great on my stone driveway.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26494&highlight=skid+shoe+modification

One thing, a PTO driven snowblower really doesn't like to be "steered" much. Try to keep most of your passes in a straight line, more or less...

Those would definitely be an improvement. My current ones look like grouse feather's, about an inch wide. Good point about the steering, I generally tried to pick the blower up when backing up or changing directions, but figured sooner or later I'd forget when I was imagining the "improved" skids.