Welders???

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
One welder you might want to take a look at is Thermal arc, the 181i and 211i are dual voltage, 110 or 220, mig or flux core wire welding and stick welding all in one. Thermal arc is owned by Victor, like Tweeco so very reputable. I bought the 211i a few weeks ago and for home farm use it will do everything I need, I really like it

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Dieseldude makes an important point, that of extension cords. Both my Hobart and my Dad's Miller 110V migs are sensitive to cord gage and length. If you have to use a cord, make sure it's heavy and as short as possible. It does make a big difference.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I know Unionman asked the question, but man, did I learn a lot. An hour ago I was looking at a Hobart Handler at TSC.

I haven't welded since my family's dairy farm days, many years ago - typical Lincoln arc machine.

I've had a few fab ideas for my BX, but what I've REALLY been stewing on is a small homemade propane maple syrup evaporator (hey - its upstate New York after all). Typically, they are little more than an angle frame with variations for pans, burners, etc. I attached a pic of a common set up.

My operation is small - I do less than 10 gal of syrup per season. (Which is ~400 gal of sap for our southern guys). I use a high pressure camp stove and steam table pans now.

I know maple syrup is not tractor fab - but will a 110v welder do this kind of thing? I haven't noticed my buddies on mapletrader.com going through welder choices in the last couple years.

As always - thanks!

Attachments

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I was also @ tsc looking today, I still would go with the hobart 190 for all around usefulness. The ability to add a spool gun is a big plus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I first started welding I bought a Thermal dynamics plasma cutter, it was 115V and would cut up to 1/4", I used it ten yrs , and Not One Issue...it just kept running. I needed something that would cut thicker though , I sold the 115V and bought a new 220V 3/4" Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter..ten + yrs later..Not One Issue.

And by the way RCW a 18" x 36" tig welded stainless sugaring pan and preheater box with valves , shipping included is $225.

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he has the Hobart 190. Think I might see if he will teach me some of the basics and maybe even let me build some things in his garage. Then possibly get my own Hobart 190 and by then have my pole barn built with a dedicated outlet for the welder. Thank you everyone on your input and advice. Ive learned a lot from everyone's knowledge on the topic.

UnionMan

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I was also looking today, I still would go with the 190 for all around usefulness. The ability to add a spool gun is a big plus.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I've been using a 190 for two years now, almost every day. It has never had a hiccup. There are MANY good welders on the market, and I wouldn't say that Hobart is the best. But, it is one of the best values out there, and for the amateur welder, it will more than live up to your expectations.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
And by the way RCW a 18" x 36" tig welded stainless sugaring pan and preheater box with valves , shipping included is $225.
Thanks - I will keep that in mind! Good deal and great size for small operation like mine.

Just 70 days 'til taps go out!!

Sap hauler will be orange next season!!

dieseldude

Sep 21, 2012
Baltimore, MD
With that particular welder I don't know. But I have welded aluminum with an attachment called a spool gun. The idea is its easier to bush aluminum wire a short distance and not through a long tube. At least that's the reason according to my welding instructor. He told us one other thing, "Hot and fast", meaning a lot of current and move along quick to avoid burn through.

good luck.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I've welded aluminum with my 110V Hobart. It's really easy for the wire to buckle and pile up at the feed rollers, it's hard to push compared to steel. A spool gun would be really nice to have, but it's not absolutely required.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
Flux core does have its place I know. But I'm seen 'good' welders , me included struggle/hate using it. Lol...And I'm a big fan of Miller welders also. I only have one Lincoln , but I like the Millers and think the quality is better in the long run.
ThaTs a pretty good anilisas!..other then the spelling.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
ThaTs a pretty good anilisas!..other then the spelling.
WFM,
I dident post very clearly, it was (my,..bad spelling I was referring to. Also, I own both the commercial Lincoln 325 w/ln7 feeder. and a few millers,..the most used is my miller 211, job shop light repair welder. Its a great little welder. And other than 1 Hobart, all of my portable welders are Lincoln. If I bought a new shop welder today, I'd buy a miller. They have a better drive roll system.
And A better after the sale support system. IMHO..