Weak hydraulics in FEL

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I recently bought a 1996 L2900 tractor with a backhoe and loader (1707 hrs).
When I try to pick up a load of dirt from a pile, I have trouble lifting it up with the loader. The curl and lift both seem weak. In order to pick up the load, I have to back up the tractor a couple inches to take the forward pressure off of the loader. Then I can lift the load. Is this normal? Some of the dirt was pretty wet, so I expected it to be a problem lifting it. But some of it was dry and loose and was being picked up from a loose pile.
I have changed all the fluids and filters. Anything else I need to check? Other than the weak loader, I love the tractor and backhoe. I just can't believe that the loader wouldn't have more power.
Thank,
Gene

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I think that sounds somewhat normal, or at least similar to how mine works. My loader won't lift if I plow into the bottom of a pile and try to take a scoop. It would lift a bucket worth of material fine, but not the additional weight of the rest of the pile sitting on the load. What's happening there is the loader pivot point is up high, and the bucket is down low, when you are trying to lift, the bucket is also wanting to travel forward a small amount, that's why backing up slightly allows it to lift. Try loading from higher up the pile, or scraping a bucket up the side of the pile by lifting as you push in, then curl at the top. Start into the scoop with the bucket curled down just a bit so that once you're loaded you can curl back to break loose. That's how I do it anyway and works fine with any rock or soil I've worked with.