Warm up time in Winter vs. Summer

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
Stupid new guy question: I understand the importance of allowing enough time for warming up the tractor before putting it under stress in cold weather. But what do you do in the summer? This weekend it was close to 80 degrees outside and I still warmed it up for several minutes but wondered how long do I really need to wait before I start using the tractor? Do I just rely on the temp gauge and wait for that to hit normal? Thanks for your answers.

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
Stupid new guy question: I understand the importance of allowing enough time for warming up the tractor before putting it under stress in cold weather. But what do you do in the summer? This weekend it was close to 80 degrees outside and I still warmed it up for several minutes but wondered how long do I really need to wait before I start using the tractor? Do I just rely on the temp gauge and wait for that to hit normal? Thanks for your answers.
Check your operators manual .., my manual includes this attached table..,

Attachments

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
Thanks for that. I know I should not stress the tractor before its fully warmed up but can I move the tractor before warm up is completely done?
That’ll open up a can of worms…I follow the guidance in my manual and wait the 5 minutes. My tractor sits right in front of my wood shop so there’s plenty for me to keep busy while it warms up.

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
That’ll open up a can of worms…I follow the guidance in my manual and wait the 5 minutes. My tractor sits right in front of my wood shop so there’s plenty for me to keep busy while it warms up.
Ugh I do not want to be THAT GUY that asks a hyper controversial question. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks for that. I know I should not stress the tractor before its fully warmed up but can I move the tractor before warm up is completely done?
First, if it's below 30°F, I'm probably not on my tractor. I start the tractor, let it run 30 sec to a minute, then pull it out of the shed. Then I'm either changing implements or driving to the job, neither are heavy loads. I don't see that driving at a reasonable speed on level ground puts any more stress on it than if it's sitting still. Besides, running the gears lightly generates a little heat and helps distribute heat from the hydraulic oil as it warms up. Things like the front axle don't get heat until you work them.

Today's small tractors, like our vehicles, are much lighter than the old ones and it doesn't take long for them to warm up, or cool down.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I usually run mine even in Summer for a bit. I don't use a watch. For the most part, if it runs smoothly, I think I'm pretty good. Fwiw, when it was really cold, and I needed to use it, it vibrated quite a lot until it warmed up.

However, I don't immediately work it as hard as it can go. In that case, I wait for the engine to come up to temperature.

In any case, I usually drive at least a short distance before I do anything due to where I will need to work which is almost never next to where it is parked.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I'll let it sit for about a minute. Then drove over to where the work is (low gear, part throttle). After that, I'll use it lightly for another few minutes before going bonkers.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I wait until the needle moves into range on the engine temp. That is going to happen much quicker in the Summer.

I dont let it get to Normal, but I make sure its moved past C before I start moving. Not sure if that is correct but its what I do. I also ease into the work until its at operating temp.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I warm it both in summer and winter. I also like to see the gauge move up a bit past the C before I move it and usually pretty close to normal temps before it works hard. Every gas or diesel motor I have gets a warm up before going to work. Can’t see the harm in it so

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Ugh I do not want to be THAT GUY that asks a hyper controversial question. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info.
Don't sweat it... ask away any questions you have... I do not run my tractor a bunch, so I'm fine with extra warm up time (to the point, I forget it's even running....) I putter around here and there anytime after it starts but I don't work it hard until the temp gauge moves (it doesn't move all that much just 1/8 of the way up - unless the radiator is getting clogged up!?!?!)

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I think very similar for me as others stated…Only difference for me is that when it’s cold, I use the block heater, and then it starts easier and warms up quicker than it does in the summer…no joke. That being said, no matter the season, I like to see the temperature gauge (bar) recognized in the dash before I get too happy with the throttle. Usually open door, start machine, roll out of barn, go back and close the door, water the grass behind the barn😉 and then hop on tractor and start rolling…by the time I get to the road it’s good to go.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When my engine temp gauge comes up off the “cold” position….. time to go to work.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I get into my car and start driving it as soon as the engine starts because according to the engineers at Ford, that is better than having it sitting and idling. I did the same with my BX22 and it had about 800 hours on it when I sold it, and not a single problem, except for a clogged fuel filter, because I never changed them. I do the same with my BX23S, and I expect that it will outlive me. I don't work it hard, but I do move the tractor to where I am going to use it. In the winter, its block heater provides a lot of warmth to the engine, and I start the engine, engage the snowblower, and start to slowly blow snow until the engine comes up to temperature.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
My truck definitely gets the warm up period during the winters. Not because of the engine. My butt wants a warm heated seat to sit on lol.

• Haha

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
My manual implies that this extra time is to warm up the (hydrostatic) transmission fluid:

Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 10.52.09 AM.png

It does say to operate at 50% of rpm until the time passes. I try not to lift anything heavy or rev it too high during that time (but move around to hitch up an implement, for example. With my gear drive tractors I would wait for the temp gauge to budge, then another minute or so to let the oil temp approach the water temp. I'm much more cautious with the Kubota than I was with the 60 year old gear drive tractors that I had before.

rh74

Equipment
LX2610, LA535, BH77, LX2980, RB1672, BB2560, PFL1242
Feb 17, 2024
Hoosick Falls, NY
The answer is yes, you can move the tractor while it's warming up. Keep the rpms low and accelerate slowly. I keep mine in a garage, so I have to move it out to warm it up. CO2 is bad for the tractor and it's really bad for a human.

The tractor should be at normal operating temperature before putting it to normal or above normal use.