Vertically telescoping intermediate plate for additional height on pallet forks

Rhodium

Equipment
LX2610 with a LA535 loader
May 25, 2024
Michigan
Hi all,

I'm moving into a new house with a nice elevated storage area in the barn where I'd love to make use of my pallet forks. The challenge is that from concrete to the top is 92" (which can't change), and my LA535 loader doesn't quite reach that high. I have a third function on my LX2610, so am considering getting a set of male and female quick-attach components, some square tubing, and a hydraulic cylinder (or two), and welding up a vertically telescoping intermediate attachment that would go between the loader and the pallet fork attachment. I only need about another 12" of lift to get pallets up into this area, and am not lifting anything all that heavy. Has anybody done this? Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance, and have great weekend.

Cheers,
John

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The easy way.....
place load on 3 or 4 more pallets... you've raised it up 12". or build a custom heavy duty boxed 'skid' that's 12" tall.
..it's also safer, cheaper and FAST to make !!

sure what you post could work but a LOT of designing,cutting, welding is involved...

BTW my old forklift went 9', bought it AFTER I'd built the shop mezzanine at 10'.....sigh
THAT is why came up the 3-4 extra pallets idea.....

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thats quite the dilemma.

If I understand the problem correctly, just placing the load on top of a 12" high box will not help.

The load would be above the "shelf" but the "box" the load is on would still hit.

If I am understanding it correctly, it sounds to me that you would have to make it so the forks themselves are above the shelf?

It sounds to me that is what you are thinking too?

wsurff

Equipment
L6060, Backhoe, Front Snow Blower, Grapple, Chipper, Box Blade
Oct 8, 2021
NJ
hmm2
12" ramps?

Bisleybob

Equipment
B7500
Aug 15, 2020
Harding Pennsylvania
I like Jay's idea, build a spacer box, strong enough, and add a pallet jack to the mezzanine. If load is level, and osha is not watching, you can use the pallet jack to pick off of the spacer box. It would still likely be cheaper and easier than adding a riser to your forks

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a third function on my LX2610, so am considering getting a set of male and female quick-attach components, some square tubing, and a hydraulic cylinder (or two), and welding up a vertically telescoping intermediate attachment that would go between the loader and the pallet fork attachment. I only need about another 12" of lift to get pallets up into this area,
An interesting problem for sure.

Is your loader SSQA compatible? What you're envisioning is doable of course, but if you have an SSQA compatible loader you'd need a SSQA plate to attach the square tubing to, and then SSQA compatible plates to connect to your pallet forks. Then there's the issue of securing the pallet forks to the "adapter" since the cams or locks are on the loader and not on the adapter.

If your bucket or pallet forks are pin on it'd be a lot easier and the paragraph above is moot. Maybe it's time for a bigger tractor. :ROFLMAO:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Perhaps it would be easier to install a beam track and trolley system from the truss peak?

like these examples

Or look at lifting platforms

Last edited:

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
As already mentioned,add one or more pallets to raise load. If that's too redneck,build a custom platform and paint it Kubota Orange to match your tractor.

Now let's talk about the elephant in the room. With 65.5 wheelbase and 53.7 width you are flirting with flipping your tractor. More people are killed from overextending capabilities of compact tractors than operating heavy road and construction equipment.

Reactions: 1 users

Rhodium

Equipment
May 25, 2024
Michigan
Thats quite the dilemma.

If I understand the problem correctly, just placing the load on top of a 12" high box will not help.

The load would be above the "shelf" but the "box" the load is on would still hit.

If I am understanding it correctly, it sounds to me that you would have to make it so the forks themselves are above the shelf?

It sounds to me that is what you are thinking too?

This is correct. Also looking to avoid the fork flip strategy because of the back and forth with it. Looking for something seamless and quick

Rhodium

Equipment
May 25, 2024
Michigan
An interesting problem for sure.

Is your loader SSQA compatible? What you're envisioning is doable of course, but if you have an SSQA compatible loader you'd need a SSQA plate to attach the square tubing to, and then SSQA compatible plates to connect to your pallet forks. Then there's the issue of securing the pallet forks to the "adapter" since the cams or locks are on the loader and not on the adapter.

If your bucket or pallet forks are pin on it'd be a lot easier and the paragraph above is moot. Maybe it's time for a bigger tractor. :ROFLMAO:
LOL!! I would love a bigger tractor, but my wife may have other opinions :ROFLMAO:. Correct, my LA535 is SSQA compatible, and I have an SSQA pallet fork loader attachment (something like THIS). Was thinking of getting something like the two links below and welding up the telescoping hardware between them with a ram or two in there. I would SSQA the loader to the telescoping attachment, and then SSQA the telescoping attachment to the pallet fork loader.

Male SSQA
Female SSQA plate

Rhodium

Equipment
May 25, 2024
Michigan
As already mentioned,add one or more pallets to raise load. If that's too redneck,build a custom platform and paint it Kubota Orange to match your tractor.

Now let's talk about the elephant in the room. With 65.5 wheelbase and 53.7 width you are flirting with flipping your tractor. More people are killed from overextending capabilities of compact tractors than operating heavy road and construction equipment.
I definitely agree with this and respect the danger you bring up. I wouldn't be lifting anything too heavy (housewares and the like), and am only looking for another ~12" vertical lift. I'm thinking those two data points, and the fact that I'm on level concrete make this viable as long as I use proper thought and caution (as with any machinery). Again, great point. Thank you!

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Thats quite the dilemma.

^^^^^
Correct.

IF the OP's intention is to lift items on a pallet to the height specified AND leave them on a pallet, then adding pallets underneath will accomplish nothing.

I suppose there are several ways to remedy the problem, but personally....I wouldn't spend any time or effort trying to make a forklift out of a tractor.

Seems a couple of 12" ramps (already suggested) or a ramped 'deck' would be easy enough to construct.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
^^^^^
Correct.

IF the OP's intention is to lift items on a pallet to the height specified AND leave them on a pallet, then adding pallets underneath will accomplish nothing.
Exactly! I was wondering why some were suggesting this since it wouldn't help unless the person was trying to slide a pallet off the "stack" by hand onto a shelf. :unsure:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
LOL!! I would love a bigger tractor, but my wife may have other opinions :ROFLMAO:. Correct, my LA535 is SSQA compatible, and I have an SSQA pallet fork loader attachment (something like THIS). Was thinking of getting something like the two links below and welding up the telescoping hardware between them with a ram or two in there. I would SSQA the loader to the telescoping attachment, and then SSQA the telescoping attachment to the pallet fork loader.

Male SSQA
Female SSQA plate
Yep, that's what I was thinking. There's more involved making a SSQA compatible adapter but a cool project for sure.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Instead of a box, how about a C shape.

Picture this (best I can do on an Apple....)

Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 2.25.53 PM.png

It would be a "work around" cause you would have to load it, then go around back and pick it up. It would however allow you to put it on your "shelf", if I'm picturing it correctly.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Still.....flipping the forks cost nothing and gains 16" of height.
That would work if you're moving pallets off a trailer or something, but you're not going to pick a pallet off the floor with that arrangement.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
true, first you put your stuff on the top skid of 5, take it to the 'mezzanine'....
or load the skid at back breaking ground level, lift and place on top of stack of 4 skids, flip forks, grab skid of stuff, take to mezzanine.