V3307 EGR/Cooler Isolation instructions?

Remote 95

Equipment
ZD 331 Mower
Jan 15, 2020
South, Ga.
I need to isolate the EGR/cooler to be able to pressureize the radiater. Iconnected the two 7/8 hoses coming from downside of the engine block. When Radiater was pressurized water exited where one of the two hoses had been.
Specificallly the hose fitting on end of cooler at bottom, away fron EGR and on fan end of motor. Because of this it was impossible to pressreize the system to any degree. Question is how do I isolate the EGR/Intercooler?

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Why do you feel you need to isolate the radiator from the EGR cooler when pressure testing? All components should handle the pressures at which you will be pressure testing.

Remote 95

Equipment
ZD 331 Mower
Jan 15, 2020
South, Ga.
Why do you feel you need to isolate the radiator from the EGR cooler when pressure testing? All components should handle the pressures at which you will be pressure testing.
I want to pressurize the system without the EGR cooler to test for head gasket or below problems. Since there is a possibiltiy of the EGR/Cooler mixing coolant with the oil. If i isolate and the oil turns chocolate then the problem is definately going to be head or below? If it is the head or below I assume i will have to remove the EGR/cooler anway !

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The EGR has no interaction with the lubrication circuit or the crankcase. In order for an EGR cooler leak to show itself in the oil while pressure testing it would have to fill the cooler cavity and the intake or exhaust high enough to get past a valve, by the valve guides or past the piston rings.

Which machine are you working on?

Remote 95

Equipment
ZD 331 Mower
Jan 15, 2020
South, Ga.
The EGR has no interaction with the lubrication circuit or the crankcase. In order for an EGR cooler leak to show itself in the oil while pressure testing it would have to fill the cooler cavity and the intake or exhaust high enough to get past a valve, by the valve guides or past the piston rings.

Which machine are you working on?
Takeuchi with V3307 Kubota. I have a TL230 with a V3307-DI-T-E3B-TLTUI, Serial #223100002-OE-TL230-A
Should I just remove the EGR/Cooler, Block off, so I can Definatrly see if coolant is again mixing with Oil?

Last edited:

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
I would just pressurize the cooling system as a whole, nothing removed or disconnected.
Unfortunately with a skid steer is is going to be pretty much impossible to pull the oil pan to inspect while pressuring. The best you can probably do is drain the oil and leave the plug out, that and remove the valve cover.
Pressurize and watch to see if the pressure drops or remains consistent.

Reactions: 1 user

Remote 95

Equipment
ZD 331 Mower
Jan 15, 2020
South, Ga.
I would just pressurize the cooling system as a whole, nothing removed or disconnected.
Unfortunately with a skid steer is is going to be pretty much impossible to pull the oil pan to inspect while pressuring. The best you can probably do is drain the oil and leave the plug out, that and remove the valve cover.
Pressurize and watch to see if the pressure drops or remains consistent.

Remote 95

Equipment
ZD 331 Mower
Jan 15, 2020
South, Ga.
Update 4/24, We have removed and blocked off the EGR/ heat exchanger ports, But have found that not to be the problem? Today after changng the filter and adding new oil to the motor it was cranked and running smoothly. In the Ten minits it was run we kept pulling the dipstick and saw the chocolate gradually come back so we shut off the engine. We debated the freeze plugs but realised that if they were the problm then we would not have held pressure on the test previously mentioned in other post. I have to add that no smoke came from the engine while running and No bubling was noticed in the radiater? Tomorrow I will use a test kit for exhaust gases to determine if they are present. One added item is that instad of oil we are going to be using Diesel in place of oil to be run at most a couple of minites. All help appreciated!

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Yes do not use diesel as the only lubricant in your engine, ever! It may take more than one flush with engine oil to see a big difference.