Used tractor price negotiation

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you don't know what something cost new, then you will not know what it should cost used. It is important to educate yourself and strike a deal that both parties can live with. I bought a rear finish mower today and looking at the belt, it might need to be replaced at some time in the near future. A new belt is $100, and the seller split the difference with me and dropped his price by $50. Had he not done that I still would have bought the mower because it is what I wanted, and it is in excellent shape. He purchased it from a local dealer in 2019 and it was manufactured in 2016. When I took it off the trailer today I checked the blades, and they were as sharp as new. The bottom was so clean that I doubt that he used the mower more than a couple of times.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
Op, in my case, when searching for a used tractor about 3 yrs ago ?, i found my b2100 on cl's, it was not too far from me, he had it listed for around 4k i think it was ?. we sent text back and forth, i asked him a lot of questions, as this was my very first tractor i've ever owned..let alone purchased !, i offered him 2k, not because it was a pile of junk ?, or i was trying to low ball him ?, it was because he told me it would not move at all under its own power ?, well..i did some research on this model, hydro system that is, after i looked up a few parts, and seen what it was going to cost ?, i then tossed my offer to the man, and explained to him why such an offer.

He first turned me down, countered my offer, politely, i stuck with my offer, well..he declined..ok..fine..i'll keep looking, next day, he sent me a text, asking me if my offer stood ?, i replied..sure..give me your address, i'll be on my way. i got there..and sure enough..with my luck..it would not crank over from sitting so long..well..ok..not the end of the world, i still stuck to my offer, after all..the tractor was in pretty good shape for its age !. got it home..did all the work to it, been happy with it to this day.

Bottom line; pay what you feel is a good, fair price for what you are buying, dealer or private seller , makes no difference.

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, hypothetically, your farmer neighbor passed away and his wife is sorting things out. No one is around and his tractor is sitting in a field with the keys in it. You have your trailer hooked up to your truck and the dead guys wife doesn't even know about the tractor. No body knows anything...
Would you take it?

Your shopping at a retail store and in the parking lot next to your car is a shopping cart with a brand new stereo system that someone accidentaly left in the cart. No one is around.
Would you take it?

An old guys wife is invalid and he needs money for her care. So he sells his prized Kubota for funds. Do you show up and offer him 80 percent of the asking price?

A Kubota dealer is barely making ends meet and offers a sale on LX's and B's so he can make next months payroll for his employees. Do you walk in and ask for a free set of forks?

Get the fairest deal you can. But, Don't assume that all salesman are crooks and all dealerships are millionaires. They are not.

Ethics. Try it. Nothing is free even tho you think you got it free. Sometimes, it cost you in character, integrity and honestly. It's down to your soul.

As for me being here and those who voiced the opinion in this thread that they don't like me, that's OK. That is life. I respect your opinion. If you aren't making waves or making something happen, you are sitting still. Appreciate you all.

Pay an honest price for it. Do us all a favor. Build integrity. Honesty. Character.
Unless you are a thief. Never mind.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I use this rule of thumb: used, late model, low hours, great condition: 75-80% of new price. It goes down from there.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So, hypothetically, your farmer neighbor passed away and his wife is sorting things out. No one is around and his tractor is sitting in a field with the keys in it. You have your trailer hooked up to your truck and the dead guys wife doesn't even know about the tractor. No body knows anything...
Would you take it?

Your shopping at a retail store and in the parking lot next to your car is a shopping cart with a brand new stereo system that someone accidentaly left in the cart. No one is around.
Would you take it?

An old guys wife is invalid and he needs money for her care. So he sells his prized Kubota for funds. Do you show up and offer him 80 percent of the asking price?

A Kubota dealer is barely making ends meet and offers a sale on LX's and B's so he can make next months payroll for his employees. Do you walk in and ask for a free set of forks?

Get the fairest deal you can. But, Don't assume that all salesman are crooks and all dealerships are millionaires. They are not.

Ethics. Try it. Nothing is free even tho you think you got it free. Sometimes, it cost you in character, integrity and honestly. It's down to your soul.

As for me being here and those who voiced the opinion in this thread that they don't like me, that's OK. That is life. I respect your opinion. If you aren't making waves or making something happen, you are sitting still. Appreciate you all.

Pay an honest price for it. Do us all a favor. Build integrity. Honesty. Character.
So.....how do YOU know these things?

Old guy's actual financial condition?
That the stereo was not stolen, and then abandoned in the lot?
The actual financial condition of the Kubota dealer/dealership?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Would you take it?

Would you take it?

Couple of years ago I was looking for a trailer. Found an older factory built bumper pull, 20' tread plate deck, 12 ply tires..... Guy was asking 2K. The lights were not working. We visited for a while and I offered him $1900 because he said he really needed to sell it and didn't have time to check it out. In that conversation he told me his wife was in the hospital with an unknown diagnosis.

I paid him 2K and he said we agreed to $1900. I told him that $100 would help him get to the hospital a few times, and I would pray for a good outcome.

We all think money/things are important, until it isn't.

Many may disagree with that idea, but at some point in their life they may have a change of heart!

Reactions: 3 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So.....how do YOU know these things?

Old guy's actual financial condition?
That the stereo was not stolen, and then abandoned in the lot?
The actual financial condition of the Kubota dealer/dealership?
One doesn't. But it could be.

The stereo situation actually happened to me. I was at a Walmart, came outside after shopping and saw a portable stereo system in an otherwise empty cart next to my truck.
I couldn't believe it. It was just sitting in the shopping cart. No one around.
I took it inside the Walmart and went to Customer Service. After waiting in line for what seemed like an hour. I explained that this stereo was sitting in a shopping cart, and if someone returns looking for it... here it is.
They looked at me like I was nuts. The one clerk said something like "That is a great stereo, why didn't you just take it?"

Integrity. Honesty. Faith.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Couple of years ago I was looking for a trailer. Found an older factory built bumper pull, 20' tread plate deck, 12 ply tires..... Guy was asking 2K. The lights were not working. We visited for a while and I offered him $1900 because he said he really needed to sell it and didn't have time to check it out. In that conversation he told me his wife was in the hospital with an unknown diagnosis.

I paid him 2K and he said we agreed to $1900. I told him that $100 would help him get to the hospital a few times, and I would pray for a good outcome.

We all think money/things are important, until it isn't.

Many may disagree with that idea, but at some point in their life they may have a change of heart!
^^^This is how it's done!^^^^

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I have a friend who purchased $135 (or so) of food from Walmart and used self checkout. He ended up walking out and never paid. He went to the feed store and was buying supplies when he realized he never paid at Walmart. He went back to the store and went in to the self check out 'clerk' and told her. She said never mind, it happens all the time, just forget about it. He wouldn't go without paying. The clerk told him he'd have to bring all the groceries back in and check them out again.

He went out, got a cart and brought all the groceries into the checkout area and used the same machine to re-check out. He said he used that same machine so if they looked at the film and saw he didn't pay they then see where he came back and did pay.

Integrity is who you are when no one is looking!!

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I have a friend who purchased $135 (or so) of food from Walmart and used self checkout. He ended up walking out and never paid. He went to the feed store and was buying supplies when he realized he never paid at Walmart. He went back to the store and went in to the self check out 'clerk' and told her. She said never mind, it happens all the time, just forget about it. He wouldn't go without paying. The clerk told him he'd have to bring all the groceries back in and check them out again.

He went out, got a cart and brought all the groceries into the checkout area and used the same machine to re-check out. He said he used that same machine so if they looked at the film and saw he didn't pay they then see where he came back and did pay.

Integrity is who you are when no one is looking!!
i had something like this happen to me not long ago. i went to sports academy to buy a deer feeder. got to the check out, it rang up cheaper than what the shelf sticker said when i grabbed it off the shelf. i kindly told the clerk, '' ma'm..thats not right...it's listed higher back there on the shelf '' she looked at me like i fell outta my rocking chair. she then went on to say..'' oh well..looks like you get it for this price huh '' ?..i replied..no..i want to pay the price its suppose to be''..needless to say..she changed it...and i walked out..paying full price, and felt good about it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My rule is that I give them one chance to do it right. If they're too stupid to understand I'm trying to give them more money, or too lazy to do the work to take the money, that's on them. And yes, often it's the staff that are lazy not necessarily the owner. But if you hire lazy staff, then that is on you.

I'll do the right thing, but I won't go a long way out of my way to force someone to take my money.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
The thread topic was negotiating tractor prices and turned into what is ethical.

What happened here would very likely NEVER happen these days!

When the Titanic sank, it carried millionaire John Jacob Astor IV. The money in his bank account was enough to build 30 Titanics. However, faced with mortal danger, he chose what he deemed morally right and gave up his spot in a lifeboat to save two frightened children.

Millionaire Isidor Straus, co-owner of the largest American chain of department stores, "Macy's," who was also on the Titanic, said: "I will never enter a lifeboat before other men."
His wife, Ida Straus, also refused to board the lifeboat, giving her spot to her newly appointed maid, Ellen Bird. She decided to spend her last moments of life with her husband.

These wealthy individuals preferred to part with their wealth, and even their lives, rather than compromise their moral principles. Their choice in favor of moral values highlighted the brilliance of human civilization and human nature.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So. Many years ago, think early 2000's..

Two boys in their teens walked into the station and turned in a purse that they found. It's considered 'Found Property' in the gov realm. Anyway, inside the purse was over $60,000 US. $60,000!!! In Cash.
And also details of the owner of the purse.

Radio car was sent to the address in the purse, and later a woman showed up at the station. She described the purse, and knew the exact amount of cash that was in the purse.

She left two 5 dollar bills for the teenage finders of her purse and cash. Are you fricking kidding??!! 5 dollars vs 60K.

We took a collection around the station personnel for the boys honesty, of a couple hundred for each boy. And the Captain bought those boys brand new bicycles.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
If none of this ethics conversation makes any sense to you, you just don't understand the value of the human soul. Do the right thing.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
If none of this ethics conversation makes any sense to you, you just don't understand the value of the human soul. Do the right thing.
I think everybody reading this understand what your saying and how your feeling about ethics.

This post was about dealer negotiations. Not the same as something being sold by a widow or other sod story you want to come up with. Dealerships are in the business to buy and sell tractors. I don’t think negotiating with a dealership is unethical. If you came in with a fair or market value amount and wanted to trade it in on a new machine is the salesman or dealership being unethical when they offer me less. I say nope thats business.
The situations you described you’re calling negotiating I call taking advantage of a situation or stealing not making a deal. Not the same to me. I think you’re taking it to the extreme on this one. Nothing wrong with negotiating a deal in the proper situation. You’ll still be a good person.
As for me being here and those who voiced the opinion in this thread that they don't like me,
It’s the way you call people out for what you believe to be true or the way it is. You don’t bother me with your posts and it’s actually kinda funny some times but maybe not so much with a new member. Unfortunately you’re not always correct and have a hard time accepting other opinions on things that are the same as your own. Your a good contributor when you’re not going at folks morals and ethics type of stuff. Sometimes if you got nothing good to say you can just move on and not steal the post. Especially like I said from new members.
Let the new guys and gals get to know you before you attack there ethics, morals, belief, religion, etc., etc. it’s a tractor forum. Lol.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I think everybody reading this understand what your saying and how your feeling about ethics.

This post was about dealer negotiations. Not the same as something being sold by a widow or other sod story you want to come up with. Dealerships are in the business to buy and sell tractors. I don’t think negotiating with a dealership is unethical. If you came in with a fair or market value amount and wanted to trade it in on a new machine is the salesman or dealership being unethical when they offer me less. I say nope thats business.
The situations you described you’re calling negotiating I call taking advantage of a situation or stealing not making a deal. Not the same to me. I think you’re taking it to the extreme on this one. Nothing wrong with negotiating a deal in the proper situation. You’ll still be a good person.

It’s the way you call people out for what you believe to be true or the way it is. You don’t bother me with your posts and it’s actually kinda funny some times but maybe not so much with a new member. Unfortunately you’re not always correct and have a hard time accepting other opinions on things that are the same as your own. Your a good contributor when you’re not going at folks morals and ethics type of stuff. Sometimes if you got nothing good to say you can just move on and not steal the post. Especially like I said from new members.
Let the new guys and gals get to know you before you attack there ethics, morals, belief, religion, etc., etc. it’s a tractor forum. Lol.
Good post. Thank you. Noted.

I'll work on toning it down.