Turkey season about to kick off!

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
So turkey season opens here this week. I was back in my woods last week and had a HUGE tom run past me. Have seen lots of tracks around the watering holes back there too. Hopefully I can bust a wall hanger. Who else hunts these birds?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I thought one was going to run out in front of my truck yesterday just north of the Tn/Ms line. Then one crossed the road as I was getting to the farm. He had a decent beard.

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Who else hunts these birds?
Good luck on your hunt!

Decades ago I hunted turkey down at my Missouri land but never took it very seriously . After buying my Wi land and working on decent habitat I hunted again out of a box blind I built. This nice tom was the first for me and taken out of the blind. Something special about hunting ones own land , especially after the blood, sweat, tears and buckets of cash spent improving habitat. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_3639.JPG
DSC08703.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Good luck on your hunt!

Decades ago I hunted turkey down at my Missouri land but never took it very seriously . After buying my Wi land and working on decent habitat I hunted again out of a box blind I built. This nice tom was the first for me and taken out of the blind. Something special about hunting ones own land , especially after the blood, sweat, tears and buckets of cash spent improving habitat. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 126837 View attachment 126836
Nice bird, Ken!! It is a lot of work for sure and very gratifying in the end when it all pays off.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
So turkey season opens here this week. I was back in my woods last week and had a HUGE tom run past me. Have seen lots of tracks around the watering holes back there too. Hopefully I can bust a wall hanger. Who else hunts these birds?
You know I do…
(I own property in both zones so have a pretty long season…it won’t help my odds based on past history though 😂)

Attachments

• Haha

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I quit hunting them when they said I had to use a shotgun ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
This weekend is mentored youth in Pa. The rest can join weekend after. Seeing a fair amount of bird preseason but this tends to change when season opens lol. Good luck to all

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My wife prefers to have them oven-ready and doesn't enjoy plucking feathers.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m on 1500 acres. But the previous owners allowed anyone with money to come out….place trailer houses…and shootvanything that moves, and they did.

Slob hunters…lawyers from Austin. Not a single BUG …could be found after a few years. THey shot/killed EVERYTHING…. it matters-not whether it was “game”….or simply moving/alive…they KILLED IT.

Three years later…. we finally see a few turkey showing up for corn thrown off the back porch.

I quit “hunting”….. (killing wildlife over a feed-trough)… years ago.

• Wow

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Never hunted turkey.

Was big into varmint hunting (woodchucks/ groundhogs) when turkey hunting became popular. Coyotes took care of the woodchucks, which is a good thing, but limited my hunting.

Turkey hunting is big here and I’ve seen some great Toms on my trip to work each morning.

Good hunting and good luck guys!👍

Vince1230

Equipment
Bx2370
May 13, 2022
Honey Grove,Pa
I’m on 1500 acres. But the previous owners allowed anyone with money to come out….place trailer houses…and shootvanything that moves, and they did.

Slob hunters…lawyers from Austin. Not a single BUG …could be found after a few years. THey shot/killed EVERYTHING…. it matters-not whether it was “game”….or simply moving/alive…they KILLED IT.

Three years later…. we finally see a few turkey showing up for corn thrown off the back porch.

So agree on the need to manage the habitat and resources. Many around our place do not respect Quality Deer Management or bag limits. I alot take too many animals withot tags.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana

In my state you aren't allowed to bait an animal and I agree with that rule. Now we are allowed to put out feed plots to attract them in which I feel is a bit different. I'm in a huge farming community so there are food plots everywhere, mostly fields of corn and bean.

I do put out corn a few months before deer season hits so I can draw them into the cameras and see what's working the area. Then I know which buck I want to target that year. But it has to be well cleaned up (soil too) well in advance of season opening.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Never hunted turkey.

Was big into varmint hunting (woodchucks/ groundhogs) when turkey hunting became popular. Coyotes took care of the woodchucks, which is a good thing, but limited my hunting.

Turkey hunting is big here and I’ve seen some great Toms on my trip to work each morning.

Good hunting and good luck guys!👍

Coyote hunting is right there with deer hunting in enjoyment for me.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
saw 5 of the 'dirty dozen' yesterday. could use a big fish net to grab them...either they're stupid or brave....NOT afraid of the BX23S.