TSA and the art of misinformation.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
My concern was that TSA was somehow trying to make a connection that simply isn't there i.e. anyone who is caught with a firearm in carry-on luggage has criminal intent > firearms are bad > only bad people have or want firearms. It just seemed like there was an agenda with those photos at the security checkpoint.

A few years ago I was told by the VP of sales at Kimber that firearms would eventually become socially unacceptable and we're already seeing this in many parts of the US. This happened with smoking, which is a good thing since I can't think of a single benefit when it comes to smoking, but there are folks that have the same mindset about firearms. How many people in line at the airport see those posters and make a conscious or subconscious connection that firearms are bad.
Regarding firearm mindset…hard to say, maybe maybe not. I say that as it’s hard for me to process the number of background checks monthly/annually…I am assuming a check means someone bought something. I could be wrong that’s my guess though. So lots of people buying….stores and ranges around here typically full and hard to find parking. And the demographics of the purchases the few times I’m in a store are also not what id expect. I think single head of houses being more common and also a lot people know they can’t depend on their significant other (beta whatever you call em) taking care of them…so there are some new demographics buying at the counter…look at the color selection of what’s in the case…that says something in itself who is buying.

Then finally I think recently (definitely since COVId) there seems to more and more folks trending to moving from the shitty (city) to rural areas…I think the lockdowns and work from home policies have helped spur some of that. I think we saw that with tractor sales too…people ‘working’ from home all of a sudden had time for a garden and tractor. So to some extent I think there has been some shift back to rural lifestyle…and why not, anything you need can be delivered to your door and most amenities can be had as well. Anyway I think it’s possible to be some continued trend of folks moving to rural areas…and if so I suspect they too may learn to enjoy having a firearm for plinking and protection (what’s not to like?)…I have a hard time believing that many folks in rural areas don’t have one.

There are new range(s) going in near me, one on my way to work that is advertised as for ‘women’…so that’s interesting. Will the numbers overtake city dwellers…I certainly doubt it but (seems like a shift though) maybe there will be enough continuing clinging to firearms that we have that freedom a few more years. I think there are still quite a few that realize firearms not at all bad and actually are a great form of recreation…although the reason the reason behind 2nd amendment really not about recreation.

All the people coming here from other countries I suspect are looking for a better way of life and some piece of American dream. I bet they may appreciate that freedom as well. I bet they will want to buy and keep them as well.

Last edited: