Trying to understand specs

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
You may not get all that much benefit from an L2502 over a B2601 anyway. More tractor, yes. More work done.......not so clear.

I'm surprised at the price to change, but perhaps your B doesn't have a backhoe?

On your questions re: backhoe power, and ignoring some of the detail, yes in broad terms you're right. The backhoe on an L2502 is using only a portion of the power of the engine, it won't bog down no matter how hard you use the backhoe. The pump can only pump so much. And I think the pump on the L3902 is the same as on the L2502, so the extra HP is doing nothing extra for you. As to whether it's 10HP or 15HP that the pump is using, not sure. But it's not 25HP.
First off, the B2601 is a great tractor! I was seriously surprised with the amount of work I was able to accomplish with that tractor! I will now and continue to recommend it to neighbors, friends, coworkers and forum members.

However, speaking from my personal experience working on my property, Yes! The L2501 / L2502 is a worthwhile upgrade from the B2601 and one I would recommend and seriously consider.

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

Here are the two beasts together!

I use my tractor to grade and level land, till dirt, move dirt, move brush, skid logs, transport trees and logs, make trails through the forest, maintain our gravel driveway, remove stumps, run a PTO powered wood chipper and to load and unload miscellaneous materials and products from delivery trucks.

The B2601 simply lacked the lift capacity, the size and the weight required for removing medium to large stumps, carrying logs, carrying stumps and the heavy ground engagement work that is needed on my property. The L2501, has been able to perform all the tasks the B2601 struggled with, or could not accomplish, in addition to getting the work done quicker.

Depending on expectations and the tasks the OP has planned, the L2501 / L2502 could be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
First off, the B2601 is a great tractor! I was seriously surprised with the amount of work I was able to accomplish with that tractor! I will now and continue to recommend it to neighbors, friends, coworkers and forum members.

However, speaking from my personal experience working on my property, Yes! The L2501 / L2502 is a worthwhile upgrade from the B2601 and one I would recommend and seriously consider.

View attachment 110576

View attachment 110577
Here are the two beasts together!

I use my tractor to grade and level land, till dirt, move dirt, move brush, skid logs, transport trees and logs, make trails through the forest, maintain our gravel driveway, remove stumps, run a PTO powered wood chipper and to load and unload miscellaneous materials and products from delivery trucks.

The B2601 simply lacked the lift capacity, the size and the weight required for removing medium to large stumps, carrying logs, carrying stumps and the heavy ground engagement work that is needed on my property. The L2501, has been able to perform all the tasks the B2601 struggled with, or could not accomplish, in addition to getting the work done quicker.

Depending on expectations and the tasks the OP has planned, the L2501 / L2502 could be a very worthwhile upgrade.

Mike
That is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to see BEFORE I has to let go of the idea to upgrade because of the price difference. 😂.

It's nice to see them side by side. The difference is real.

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
That is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to see BEFORE I has to let go of the idea to upgrade because of the price difference. 😂.

It's nice to see them side by side. The difference is real.
Here's one more for you;
IMG_3655.jpg
There's certainly a difference in size, weight and capacity between the two tractors.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
True....but, my dealer flat-out refused to sell me the LX when I was looking to replace the B2601. They said Standard L or larger tractor to take care of the tasks my B2601 was struggling with. I've never operated the LX so I can't say either way.

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
You may not get all that much benefit from an L2502 over a B2601 anyway. More tractor, yes. More work done.......not so clear.

I'm surprised at the price to change, but perhaps your B doesn't have a backhoe?

On your questions re: backhoe power, and ignoring some of the detail, yes in broad terms you're right. The backhoe on an L2502 is using only a portion of the power of the engine, it won't bog down no matter how hard you use the backhoe. The pump can only pump so much. And I think the pump on the L3902 is the same as on the L2502, so the extra HP is doing nothing extra for you. As to whether it's 10HP or 15HP that the pump is using, not sure. But it's not 25HP.
^^^^
True....but, my dealer flat-out refused to sell me the LX when I was looking to replace the B2601. They said Standard L or larger tractor to take care of the tasks my B2601 was struggling with. I've never operated the LX so I can't say either way.

Mike
It's still a B series in drag - 16" rubber and 600 pounds lighter.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users