Tree damage ?

geoff

Equipment
b2410 tractor, FM90 topper,RS1200 cultivator,bearcat 4 inch chipper,b1610.
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
Valid points there about replacing, or if you have room and wish to see how these get on, plant another couple nearby, you can take out the wounded trees anytime, and they may well surprise you..

geoff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
Even though I spend my days climbing and cutting trees, mostly to negate litigation, I am a bit of a conservationist at heart, as long as it doesn't compound issues later.:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geoff spends his days cutting them, and I have a BS in Forestry and Biology, so marking them for cutting/sale is my background.

I think Geoff will agree that if they aren't going to respond well, you're going to know within 2-3 years, tops. Then you can remove/add if warranted. Wouldn't give up just yet either.

Still amazed happened in front yard....at least mine got stripped 100' out back.....ballsie buck!

Last edited:

geoff

Equipment
Jul 7, 2017
essex uk.
I do RCW, have a look at them over the next 2,/3 years, if they are responding you can always apply a little formative pruning to get some shape and structure going on.:)

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Geoff spends his days cutting them, and I have a BS in Forestry and Biology, so marking them for cutting/sale is my background.

I think Geoff will agree that if they aren't going to respond well, you're going to know within 2-3 years, tops. Then you can remove/add if warranted. Wouldn't give up just yet either.

Still amazed happened in front yard....at least mine got stripped 100' out back.....ballsie buck!
Thanks, yes he is a ballsie buck. Probably my fault for putting a feeder in the front yard. He has tons of trees to tear up, but he hit my only 2 chestnuts that where not protected.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Helo- Ahhh, feeder in the front yard! Note to self: Don’t do that again.

if it makes you feel any better, just saw another of my Frasiers are beat to hell out back. Haven’t looked closely yet, but looks like a little guy got frisky...

Only had a few left....and I planted 100 first fall at the house 26 years ago. [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Helo- Ahhh, feeder in the front yard! Note to self: Don’t do that again.

if it makes you feel any better, just saw another of my Frasiers are beat to hell out back. Haven’t looked closely yet, but looks like a little guy got frisky...

Only had a few left....and I planted 100 first fall at the house 26 years ago. [emoji31]

That feeder is the one I watch when I come in between morning hunts and afternoon hunts. If I see a legal buck there he is toast.

Kind of surprised they would mess with a tree like that especially one that old.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
As bad as it looks I'd take them out and replace them with healthy trees. Even if they do recover, it'll be years.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
As bad as it looks I'd take them out and replace them with healthy trees. Even if they do recover, it'll be years.
Like they said above though. I have plenty room, so I can plant as many as I want. No real reason to take them down. Worse case they die, if not they will at least be shade trees.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I put this on a similar post. It s a common way municipalities do it.

Get some wrinkled corrugated plastic pipe thin walled 4" or 6" diam. and slice it lengthwise and put it around the trunk. Won't hurt the tree and can last as long as you need the protection. Black may not show as much as white color. I have found it works great.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I put this on a similar post. It s a common way municipalities do it.

Get some wrinkled corrugated plastic pipe thin walled 4" or 6" diam. and slice it lengthwise and put it around the trunk. Won't hurt the tree and can last as long as you need the protection. Black may not show as much as white color. I have found it works great.
Thank you, will try that on some trees.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Helo - looked at my fraser fir rubbed up by the buck - pretty beat...one have 2 or 3 left now......:(

Will get a picture, but little tree rubbed up low, tells me a little buck...

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
Helo - looked at my fraser fir rubbed up by the buck - pretty beat...one have 2 or 3 left now......:(

Will get a picture, but little tree rubbed up low, tells me a little buck...
Yes, wonder why they only like the trees I planted. 64 acres of other trees and they hit these.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
They like something where they have some space, and something not too big to scrape off velvet. Nothing better than planted seedlings.
My picture sucks, but you can see the light part where it's rubbed up. Getting dark, but I think this little guy is rubbing low for some sparring practice. Full rut is just around the corner here.

Last edited:

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have had some luck repairing a couple of Doug firs using duct tape. I covered the rubbed area by taping length-wise along the bare spots. I left the tape on until it weathered off. Success rate is about 50%. Taping around the trunk did not work on any trees when I tried that way. Don't tape any live bark because it needs air and weather exposure.

I have attached a picture of one of the Doug Firs that survived. This one was rubbed by a buck two years ago. It still leans a little but it is starting to straighten up more with time. I am also attaching a picture of one of Sequoia trees that a buck recently tore up. I don't know what I will do about this one. I may have to leave it to fate because we found this one too late for my duct tape repair method. I hope it survives.

Good Luck!

Attachments