Trailering with a small Dump trailer

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
Hey all,

I'm new here. I just picked up a BX23s last fall. I'm in the market for a new trailer and wanted to get a dump trailer, with the ability to occasionally haul the tractor as well. I don't have a ton of space to store a trailer and I don't need anything huge. Prior to this my utility trailer was one of those 4x8 kits.

I was intrigued by a video by excellent Kubota youtuber Jon Ritter. He uses a 5x10 Load trail trailer which is the perfect size for me. However I am concerned about truly hauling the BX in something so small, at least for more than just down the road to a friends house. I don't have a ton of experience towing equipment so I figured I'd ask what people thought.

Sorry in advance but I nabbed a screenshot from his video for reference.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That size of trailer will do fine as long as it has the right axles to support it. ;)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I do the same thing with my L3901 in a six by twelve dump trailer. Like Bruce mentioned, it does not balance out well but I only go a short distance. I would not want to trailer it at highway speed. You need to figure out a way to try it before you buy. But one thing I will add, my dump trailer is one of the handiest things I have. It has gotten a lot of use. Maybe a slightly larger trailer would give you the room to get the balance right if you can afford it.

Last edited:

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
I do the same thing with my L3901 in a six by twelve dump trailer. Like Bruce mentioned, it does not balance out well but I only go a short distance. I would not want to trailer it at highway speed. You need to figure out a way to try it before you buy. But one thing I will add, my dump trailer is one of the handiest things I have. It has gotten a lot of use. Maybe a slightly larger trailer would give you the room to get the balance right if you can afford it.
Thanks everyone.

That model and size has both a single and dual axle version rated for 7000lbs. I hadn't thought about the balance.

The main reason for that size is not so much cost as space. I simply don't have a ton of space next to the house to store a trailer much larger. Prior I had a small 4x8 utility trailer which got heavy use. I sold it last fall after buying the BX in anticipation of a dump trailer capable of hauling it as well as the same utility as my old trailer. In fact it is way easier to find used dump trailers for a lower cost in larger sizes.

I wonder if it would be possible to fashion some weights to add to the front to give it more tongue weight. The trailer would have the capacity to handle some extra weight.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Assuming you care about these things or liabilities should you be in an accident...

You might want to check with your local regulations concerning the legality of implements overhanging the trailer along with tie-down requirements.

Regards

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
Assuming you care about these things or liabilities should you be in an accident...

You might want to check with your local regulations concerning the legality of implements overhanging the trailer along with tie-down requirements.

Regards
Hadn't really thought of that. Well I did briefly.

Another option I thought of would be to simply remove the BH and transport it in the truck bed. Only trick has been figuring out how to get it in and out. My only thought would be some sort of wheeled dolly, ramps and a come along of some sort to winch it up safely. This would have the added benefit of moving the weight forward onto the tongue.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Your trailer looks fine to me for that little tractor. Invest in some grade 70 transport chain (any farm supply store will have it), some chain binders and the appropiate grab hook and shackles and you're good to go. That will keep you legal, and you will then have that same chain and hardware for other uses, money well spent. I carry my L3301 in a 6x12 dump trailer, 10K gross. throw a red flag on any over hang, even if less then the legal limit (36" I think) they are cheap or free.

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota

Regards
Yes check your local regulations. Where I am that would NOT be legal. Where I am the tractor needs needs tie downs on each corner AND each implement needs to be on the deck and have a tie down. Towing equipment that improperly tied down can end very poorly. In addition something like that is more likely to get you pulled over and get a ticket for every little violation.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Mini thread hijack....

Your rig have a backhoe? That is my problem...mine will not fit in a 12' bed by about 6"...and I can't find a good 14' dump trailer that I would trailer my rig on a highway with.

Is your trailer a 7000 or 10000 rated? My tractor is about the same weight as yours...thanks...

goldenpsp

Equipment
BX 23S
Nov 25, 2017
Baltimore MD
Yes check your local regulations. Where I am that would NOT be legal. Where I am the tractor needs needs tie downs on each corner AND each implement needs to be on the deck and have a tie down. Towing equipment that improperly tied down can end very poorly. In addition something like that is more likely to get you pulled over and get a ticket for every little violation.
Heh, the funny irony is the photo I posted is from someone also living in MN.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Mini thread hijack....

Your rig have a backhoe? That is my problem...mine will not fit in a 12' bed by about 6"...and I can't find a good 14' dump trailer that I would trailer my rig on a highway with.

Is your trailer a 7000 or 10000 rated? My tractor is about the same weight as yours...thanks...
No backhoe. 7000 pound tandem trailer. Tractor driven on forward with FEL with bucket and tractor has 1000 pounds of ballast plus filled tires.

Bulldog78

Equipment
Bx23s
Sep 27, 2021
Glenpool OK
If you go over 10k you also have to deal with cdl license requirements. I let my cdl go a few yrs ago. Don’t intend to renew. Very interested in a smaller, dump trailer if I can haul bh and fel.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I haul my L47 TLB with backhoe in my LAMAR 14' dump trailer with no problem. Trailer has drop axles with 24" deck height, and a 6' tongue. If I knew how to post photos here i'd show you. But try looking here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...12d1518800192-lamar-dump-trailer-img_4199-jpg
The pictures do not work, but I do not understand how you would support the 10' reach hoe as folded for transport.
I have an L48 TLB, (11' reach hoe) and it barely fits on my 20' flatbed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: tiedowns.
Many mfrs will weld D-rings onto the deck in the 4 corners.
I'd like to see the RAMPS used to drive on though ! I assume there's rear 'legs' ont he trailer to keep it from lifting truck up ?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have a Load Trail Dump Trailer and they have welded D-rings on the floor at each corner inside the walls of the trailer. That should work just fine for tie downs. The walls of the dump trailer is also a fine containment system which is totally lacking on the flat bed trailers many people use for hauling their tractors..
In short, I think a Dump Trailer could be a great way to haul your little tractor and is a good dual-purpose. As long as the overhanging items are within the confines of the tailer (like the FEL/Bucket in the pic) or flagged or lighted (such as the backhoe over the rear) there should be little problem.
As for balance…. if you look at the pic above it’ll be obvious the vast majority of that tractor is ahead of the dual axles and will therefore have plenty of tongue-weight.

Last edited:

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I trailer my BX23S with a 12’ dump trailer. In regards to weight distribution, I would have a difficult time getting too much weight BEHIND the axles in the rear of the trailer. There is not much trailer behind the axles for the weight of the machine to get a bite on. I would also imagine most manufactured 10’ dump trailers are more than capable of hauling your machine.

I will post a picture of my setup for reference later

EDIT: Here is my setup. Works well
A59D6146-2607-46F1-9D55-D8F440F2EA1E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Mini thread hijack....

Brimar wise and Appalachian all make a 6x14 and a 7x14 dump