Trailer lights for BX2380

swilltractor

Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
(Hello all, first post here and I wasn't sure if this was the right place...let me know if I need to move to a different sub-forum.)

I have a BX2380 and a lightweight aluminum trailer. I'd like to tow the trailer with the BX to a very close, very FREE pile of compost that my village maintains for us residents. It's a short run up the street, and I've been going there with flashers and my slow moving vehicle triangle and just filling one FEL bucket at a time, but being able to use the trailer would make it much more efficient. I'd like to have the trailer lights connected via a "4-flat" connector, just like on my vehicle. I'd feel a lot better about pulling the trailer if the flashers were going on it.

I have never done anything like this, and would rather not go it alone if one of you has already done this and could share. Right now, I'm looking at splicing into the hazards but don't let that phase "splicing into the hazards" give you the impression that I know exactly how to do that. Ideally, there would be a pigtail I could clip into for a dummy like me, but my internet searching seems to imply that this solution does not exist.

Any thoughts, Kubota gurus?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I really don't know how to connect trailer brake lights to a tractor but it does sound like something I wouldn't bother doing. The hazards flashing on the tractor should be enough.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You are to display a SMV sign on the rear of the trailer as well as the rear of the tractor. This would make you legal.

If you wish to add lights why not wire tie or other wise attach a pair of bicycle lights. They make some very bright ones that last awhile just on a battery. And they are not that costly.

There are also rotary amber lights that have clips that you could temporarily attach to the tractor battery and run to the rear of the trailer.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You could get a socket to connect to the trailer lights, connect both turn wires together, connect them to the load terminal on a cheap flasher and run a wire from the power-in terminal on the flasher to the extra hot wire most BXs have in the rear. Might also run a ground wire just in case.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I agree with the why bother with it. How big is the village and how much traffic? Assuming you do it during the daytime your on a bright orange tractor. I also get the other side of it, I used to ride a bright green motorcycle and people still wouldn’t see it :mad:

Reactions: 1 user

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
If it were me, where I live,( Minnesota) during daytime hours if you can see the tail lights of the towing vehicle, no trailer lights are required. After dark then yes they are needed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ADD the lights !!! One option, invest in some magnetic trailer lights, power from the 'accessory' socket. This way you can easily remove for home use...
Do whatever you need to get noticed !!!
There's way too many idiot drivers out there, distracted by texting, talking, sight seeing. Sooner or later you WILL get a 'close call', or sadly, hit. It happens EVERY DAY !

$400K 'green tractor' got rear ended up here by a kid in a 'sports car' even though tractor was lit up like a Xmas tree in the broad daylight.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do not think you will have brake lights. North American Kubota's do not use them although some WSM wiring diagrams do show them but when you check there is no brake light switch nor any power on the rear socket.

Dave

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Are you just going to fill the bucket load the tractor drive to the place you are going to dump it. Then load it back up and drive to the pile unload it load bucket etc. If so it would be easier to just drive there load the bucket like you are. If you can find a friend with a Side by side with a dump bed would be better. Both of you drive there in the tractor and side by side. Load side by side let them do the running back and forth. You could load out other trucks and people for a few dollar donation. Then when the side by side gets back load them and wait. Other then that just hit the four way flasher button on the tractor and load it on the trailer. I doubt the battery would have any issue running a few minutes with out the tractor running.

PitViper

Equipment
B1750HSD, TG1860, 5’ box, 6’ grader, 6’ rake, pond scoop, PHD, boom pole, winch
Apr 28, 2020
Decatur TN
Determine the wiring connector on the trailer. Go to your auto parts store and purchase the VEHICLE SIDE connector that matches the trailer connector, some GOOD electrical tape, and a pack of wire taps (1st attached picture). I attached wiring diagrams for two of the more popular styles out there, 4 flat and 7 round.

1. Attach the yellow wire to the green wire with a wire tap. This ties right and left stop/turn signals together. This is OK on a tractor since you do not have separate turn signals.

2. Run the three remaining wires to the wiring for one of your lights.

3. Attach the brown wire from the connector to the tail light wire using a wire tap. It appears from your tractor's wiring diagram (see attachment 4) this is the brown wire.

4. Attach the white wire from the trailer connector to the ground wire. This is the black wire.

5. Attach the remain wire from the connector (green or yellow depending on how you tapped them together) to the hazard/flasher wire. This will be red with a white stripe on the right hand light, and blue with a white stripe on the left hand light according to the wiring diagram for your tractor.

6. Wrap all four wire taps in electrical tape to help keep moisture out.

If you have a 7 pin, 5 pin, whatever pin connector, don't worry about the other pins, you do not need to wire them in your application.

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Determine the wiring connector on the trailer. Go to your auto parts store and purchase the VEHICLE SIDE connector that matches the trailer connector, some GOOD electrical tape, and a pack of wire taps (1st attached picture). I attached wiring diagrams for two of the more popular styles out there, 4 flat and 7 round.

1. Attach the yellow wire to the green wire with a wire tap. This ties right and left stop/turn signals together. This is OK on a tractor since you do not have separate turn signals.

3. Attach the brown wire from the connector to the tail light wire using a wire tap. It appears from your tractor's wiring diagram (see attachment 4) this is the brown wire.

4. Attach the white wire from the trailer connector to the ground wire. This is the black wire.

5. Attach the remain wire from the connector (green or yellow depending on how you tapped them together) to the hazard/flasher wire. This will be red with a white stripe on the right hand light, and blue with a white stripe on the left hand light according to the wiring diagram for your tractor.

If you have a 7 pin, 5 pin, whatever pin connector, don't worry about the other pins, you do not need to wire them in your application.
A BX2380 does have separate Left and Right turn signals as your wiring schematic very clearly shows. It makes absolutely no sense to bypass this feature.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Swilltractor, ... I’m so glad PitViper and whitetiger finally gave you decent answers to your question instead of all the posters who gave you every discouragement and/or answer but one which addresses your request!

I think you’ve got a reasonable attitude and think I”ll do the same. Kind regards,
Geo

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
@PitViper...
WHERE did you get shuch a CLEAN,easy to read wiring diagram ? All the ones I've acquired for my BX23S are useless FUZZY ones....
since the 2380 and BX23s are 'cousins' , I'm wondering if your diagram would be applicable to my 'ride'?
jay

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
You could check with your local farm bureau. Here in Illinois, they have but a pdf together with the laws and requirements.

https://www.ilfb.org/media/3218/mvr_2018-07.pdf

Page 32 gets into the requirements, but remember this is for Illinois. Our trailers that aren't licensed for the road, only has reflective tape and SMV sign.

PitViper

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
Decatur TN
A BX2380 does have separate Left and Right turn signals as your wiring schematic very clearly shows. It makes absolutely no sense to bypass this feature.
Just because they are wired separately does not mean anything.

See attached documentation for my B1750.

If that particular tractor has turn signals, I would expect any half way intelligent person to realize this and wire accordingly.

In my past (and admittedly limited) experience with Kubota, if they are labeled hazard lights no turn signal function exists. If the are labeled turn, or turn/hazard then there is a turn signal function. If I’m wrong, I’d love to be corrected and further expand my Kubota knowledge.

Attachments

PitViper

Equipment
Apr 28, 2020
Decatur TN
@PitViper...
WHERE did you get shuch a CLEAN,easy to read wiring diagram ? All the ones I've acquired for my BX23S are useless FUZZY ones....
since the 2380 and BX23s are 'cousins' , I'm wondering if your diagram would be applicable to my 'ride'?
jay
Google lol

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just because they are wired separately does not mean anything. If that particular tractor has turn signals, I would expect any half way intelligent person to realize this and wire accordingly.

See attached documentation for my B1750.

In my past (and admittedly limited) experience with Kubota, if they are labeled hazard lights no turn signal function exists. If the are labeled turn, or turn/hazard then there is a turn signal function. If I’m wrong, I’d love to be corrected and further expand my Kubota knowledge.[/QUOTE

Your diagram for the BX shows a separate colored wire ran to each individual hazard light meaning the unit has turn indicators. Your diagram clearly shows this.
Your diagram for the B shows one wire from the switch to both hazard lights meaning those are not turn indicators. Your diagram clearly shows this.

You gave step by step instructions to a person with a BX2380 which has turn indicators, that if followed would result in him having 2 amber light glowing solid when he uses his turn signal.

GIVANORANGE

Equipment
B2601HST(FEL, BH, Forks, Blade, Mower)
May 9, 2022
PA

Hey, not sure if this is too old to comment on but I am looking to do this trailer plug wiring on my B2601HST. I can figure out the wiring...the only question I have is how did you figure out if your turn signal/flasher relay can handle the trailer lights without blowing?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
1157 lamps draw about 2 amps for brake/turn, 1/2 amp for tail/running lights

Odds are good the 'flasher' will handle the extra 2 amps. It's probably a generic device,though a real part number off of it should allow Google to find it.
If you change your trailer bulbs to 1157 LED versions, then no problems for sure !