Trailer a tractor

frysl

Equipment
L3301 LA525 FEL & FDR1672 6' Finish Mower
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
I would appreciate some ideas on the best method of securing my 3301 to a hauler. I've got plenty of chains and binders, I'd like ideas on the best points and method of attaching to the tractor so it all stays on one place and I damage nothing.
Pictures of tie downs would be great.
Thanks,
Steve

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Here's a few pics of a 3350 with a Backhoe and snowblower attached when the dealer dropped it off, or picked it up, whatever. I didn't get a trailer yet, but I need to learn the same thing.

I was talking to the driver and he said there are the DOT regulations I need to familiarize myself with. I use straps for most things I need to secure, but he said if I didn't use chains I run the risk of getting pulled over.

He said the downside was that it's easy to bend implements when securing it with a chain. He said sometimes he just uses a strap as not to damage implements and adds a snug chain around it to avoid the cops.

It has to be tied down around the front and rear of the tractor and each implement needs its own chain.

For what it's worth...

Attachments

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Each state has minimum regulations. Dot minimum for under 10,000 lbs is one chain and binder or 10,000lb rated strap front and back. Plus one on each attachment. Some states mandate one chain/binder or 10,000lb rated strap on each corner. Over 10,000 lbs, dot mandates one chain/binder or strap on each corner, plus one on each attachment.

So you need to look up you state requirements.

Here's my tractor with the dot minimums for Arkansas. I used a clevis hook on the draw bar. And there's a hook on the front that the other chain is hooked too.

Keep in mind that a fel and backhoe are considered an attachment. Therefore they need to be dropped to the deck and strapped separately from the tractor. Or you can get a ticket if pulled over by an anal retentive cop or dot officer ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
In the DoT regulations it is called synthetic webbing instead of straps.
Is that kinda like calling a garbage man a sanitary engineer? :D:)

Then again, I have seen people strap down stuff with baling twine....:eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is that kinda like calling a garbage man a sanitary engineer? :D:)

Then again, I have seen people strap down stuff with baling twine....:eek:
Actually the politically correct term for a garbage man is "Garbologist"!!! :p;):D:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Four chains and ratchets?
Four chains and two ratchets. Two chains on one end, move machine to tighten chains.chain other end and tension with ratchets. I use two short chains on front, sets distance consistently on trailer for balance. Straps for attatchments.

If possible to cross chain then go with it.

frysl

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
weight basket up font is stout enough for chaining, don't you think?
I was thinking of putting two shackles there for tie down points.

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
Wish I knew how to post pictures. My L3700SU has the same brush guard. I bought I (eye) nuts from Fastenal. They take a 5/8 bolt which is what your holes should be. They allow a 1/4 inch chain hook to slide thru. My chains and ratchet binders are rated 2600lbs so I am legal. Hope this makes sense.

frysl

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
Sumner County, TN
Wish I knew how to post pictures. My L3700SU has the same brush guard. I bought I (eye) nuts from Fastenal. They take a 5/8 bolt which is what your holes should be. They allow a 1/4 inch chain hook to slide thru. My chains and ratchet binders are rated 2600lbs so I am legal. Hope this makes sense.
Awesome idea! Do you have the eye of the bolt extending down?