Tractor won't start after bleeding fuel L3130

Getorange

Aug 25, 2019
Portland,or,usa
To start, I searched the forum for issues with bleeding tractors, but I couldn't find any match. I read the shop manual and watched the videos, so I know I was bleeding it correctly. After the time spent trying to bleed it, I knew there was something else going on because the engine wasn't firing. At this point, it appears to be a fuel issue. I think it may be a bad fuel pump. When I detached the fuel line that led from the fuel filter cup to what I believe may be the fuel pump. A small amount of fuel drained, less than a tablespoon. For the length of the hose, there should have been more fuel. Thinking blockage could be an issue, I blew out all the hose and the exit from the fuel bowl. Any suggestion, theories or ideas?

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

Getorange

Aug 25, 2019
Portland,or,usa
It seemed to be. After replacing the filter the tractor didn't start. In the past after changing the filter, I had to bleed the fuel line. One thing to note, after replacing the fuel filter the tractor wouldn't fire. I discovered the bowl didn't fill because of a lack of fuel. I filled the tank and the bowl refilled. Still no fire when turning over the engine.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Many times these tractors will run just fine with a bad fuel pump. If the tank is kept relatively full it will gravity feed to the injection pump. I have found many tractors that ran fine until I change the fuel filter. Then I could not believe them because the lift pump was not working. You should be able to remove the line from the lift pump to the injection pump and turn the engine over and see if it's pumping. Many times the fuel filter housing will plug up on the inlet side. Good luck

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It seemed to be. After replacing the filter the tractor didn't start. In the past after changing the filter, I had to bleed the fuel line. One thing to note, after replacing the fuel filter the tractor wouldn't fire. I discovered the bowl didn't fill because of a lack of fuel. I filled the tank and the bowl refilled. Still no fire when turning over the engine.
007kubotaguy is forum member to take seriously.
Could you please confirm this bleeding procedure below is the one you are following and you are not loosening lines.
forum L3130 bleeding.jpg

Dave

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
here is a little trick you can use to help avoid so much bleed time

change the filter normally. Put the cup back on (don't forget the o-ring) then put the ring nut back on but don't tighten it up all the way. Just snug it, then back it off a couple turns. Put a bucket under the bowl and then turn the fuel on. Let the bowl fill up, and you'll get leakage out of the bowl. Once the fuel coming out quits kind of bubbling, tighten the ring nut and then go start the tractor. Leave the bleeder loose.

same thing on the cartridge style plastic screw-on filters that are used on some of the smaller L series (L2800, 3400, etc). Don't tighten it up all the way--those have a check valve that is opened when you screw the filter on. As you screw it on, it'll open the valve and you'll see the filter fill up. Stop tightening and then let some fuel run out til it quits bubbling, tighten it up the rest of the way and you're done.

most of the time if you do it that way you won't have to do much if any bleeding from the pump bleeder.

Reactions: 1 users
May 6, 2017
tulatin
Thanks for all your suggestion. I'm ack up and running. Issue was bleeding air. What finally worked was removing the fuel return line line from the fuel filter cartridge and bleeding the air directly from the filter.
here is a little trick you can use to help avoid so much bleed time

change the filter normally. Put the cup back on (don't forget the o-ring) then put the ring nut back on but don't tighten it up all the way. Just snug it, then back it off a couple turns. Put a bucket under the bowl and then turn the fuel on. Let the bowl fill up, and you'll get leakage out of the bowl. Once the fuel coming out quits kind of bubbling, tighten the ring nut and then go start the tractor. Leave the bleeder loose.

same thing on the cartridge style plastic screw-on filters that are used on some of the smaller L series (L2800, 3400, etc). Don't tighten it up all the way--those have a check valve that is opened when you screw the filter on. As you screw it on, it'll open the valve and you'll see the filter fill up. Stop tightening and then let some fuel run out til it quits bubbling, tighten it up the rest of the way and you're done.

most of the time if you do it that way you won't have to do much if any bleeding from the pump bleeder.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for all your suggestion. I'm ack up and running. Issue was bleeding air. What finally worked was removing the fuel return line line from the fuel filter cartridge and bleeding the air directly from the filter.
I take it you have multiple member ID's and logins. ;)