Top link question

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
The top link on my B7100 has seen better days. One end had a slight bend, and it takes extraordinary measures to adjust - off the tractor and in a vise.
I'd really like to replace it with a NOS Kubota one, or a quality US-made one. But it appears that India has single-handedly corned this market.

Any suggestions?

Andreas

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have 2 or 3 made in India toplinks bolted to my 3PH implements, zero issues with them. I did spray 'rust check' on them years ago.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I replaced a toplink on my last tractor with one from Tractor Supply and it was trouble free for years.

Reactions: 1 user

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A top link is such a simple and standard device, that I wouldn't be concerned about the origin of it.

Reactions: 4 users

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
You need it to adjust easily while on the tractor. Just order a new one and be sure to get the right length. See this thread:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Most times top link is in tension. Implements like subsoiler can put the top link in compression enough to fold up a cheap top link.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I think you can only buy the individual pieces from Kubota for the older B series. You're looking at about $350 in parts. As others have stated, the aftermarket ones work just fine. Just make sure you buy one that's designed for a Kubota tractor or you'll have to grind the end down that attaches to the tractor's top link bracket.

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
I think you can only buy the individual pieces from Kubota for the older B series. You're looking at about $350 in parts. As others have stated, the aftermarket ones work just fine. Just make sure you buy one that's designed for a Kubota tractor or you'll have to grind the end down that attaches to the tractor's top link bracket.
Looks like options are limited. Any suggestions for an appropriately-sized, quality example?

Andreas

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Most times top link is in tension. Implements like subsoiler can put the top link in compression enough to fold up a cheap top link.
How does the subsoiler put the top link in compression? The pressure is the same as pulling a plow.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looks like options are limited. Any suggestions for an appropriately-sized, quality example?

Andreas
There is a member here @007kubotaguy that parts out old Kubotas. Contact him by private message and ask him to sell you one and ask price. Shipping will be costly though because he is in California and you are east coast. Perhaps by USPS and not UPS will be cheaper

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
How does the subsoiler put the top link in compression? The pressure is the same as pulling a plow.
Subsoilers have long lever arm below the lift arms also close to tractor can compress top link. My plows sits further back. Some cheaper single shank subsoilers connect the shank to the top link. If shear bolt shears the rotation compressed the top link.

Subsoiler worked good on MF135 two wheel drive tractor for years. Connected to 60hp 4wd tractor folded top link within minutes. Had to get a heavier subsoiler built for higher Hp and new top link.

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
The top link on my B7100 has seen better days ...
Any suggestions?
Andreas
This might be a wild suggestion, given that I don't know your tractor, implements, or what you do with it, but have you considered a hydraulic top link. You'd have to fit up power beyond (if it is feasible on yours) hoses and valve so it wouldnt be cheap, but offsetting the cost of a new manual link could make it more appealing. AND, its a breeze to operate from the seat! I don't know of anyone who regretted swapping a manual top link for hydraulic. Made a huge difference for me, but my tractor and implements are a heavier.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
This might be a wild suggestion, given that I don't know your tractor, implements, or what you do with it, but have you considered a hydraulic top link. You'd have to fit up power beyond (if it is feasible on yours) hoses and valve so it wouldnt be cheap, but offsetting the cost of a new manual link could make it more appealing. AND, its a breeze to operate from the seat! I don't know of anyone who regretted swapping a manual top link for hydraulic. Made a huge difference for me, but my tractor and implements are a heavier.
The only thing I'll add to that is; If you go with a hydraulic top link and you want a "check valve" on it, so it won't leak down, make damn sure you buy one with it already installed.

Adding one (at least for a nimrod like me) has been a real humbling learning experience.

I'm still waiting on my backordered parts.

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
John,
Thank you for the suggestion, but this tractor will only be used with the rear mower. Really no need to fiddle with the top link length once correctly adjusted.

Andreas

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014

Andreas
Remove the top link. If you can screw both ends fully inwards measure the distance from the center of the holes on each end. If you can't screw one end in because it's bent you can estimate the amount left to thread in. Then go to a nearby farm supply store. They will have these and probably two sizes. Get the smallest one you see and screw both ends in as you did on yours and compare the differences. The dimension does not have to be exact, but close. If that dimension is close the extended dimension will be in the range you need.

This is a simple attaching device and does not need to be Kubota provided. Even after market top links are painted a blue or black color! It is only a piece of tubing that is threaded and a couple of threded ends that are adjustable. One end has left had threads ( which is what make them peculiar).

AOW162435

Equipment
B7100
Jun 16, 2023
Ellicott City, MD
Remove the top link. If you can screw both ends fully inwards measure the distance from the center of the holes on each end. If you can't screw one end in because it's bent you can estimate the amount left to thread in. Then go to a nearby farm supply store. They will have these and probably two sizes. Get the smallest one you see and screw both ends in as you did on yours and compare the differences. The dimension does not have to be exact, but close. If that dimension is close the extended dimension will be in the range you need.

This is a simple attaching device and does not need to be Kubota provided. Even after market top links are painted a blue or black color! It is only a piece of tubing that is threaded and a couple of threded ends that are adjustable. One end has left had threads ( which is what make them peculiar).
Yes, I'm overthinking this in my quest to keep this B7100 nice & original. :)

It's only one end that is difficult to adjust (and bent), so I'll probably source a new end and go from there. Maybe find the correct-size tap or thread chaser for that end of the tube as well.

Andreas

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, I'm overthinking this in my quest to keep this B7100 nice & original. :)

It's only one end that is difficult to adjust (and bent), so I'll probably source a new end and go from there. Maybe find the correct-size tap or thread chaser for that end of the tube as well.

Andreas
Sourcing a NEW end is near impossible. The whole gizzmo is not expensive so when one gets bent enough to replace it usually is in the recycle ben for the scrapper.

Take a look at these at Tractor supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...794-&msclkid=04d476147d5e1fc1821a12d3a9487430

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
If you seriously are going to try to find the end that is bent you need to know one end has right hand threads and one has left hand threads. Have to get the correct one!!!!!

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Snap a pic of yours. I’m curious to see how bad it is.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you seriously are going to try to find the end that is bent you need to know one end has right hand threads and one has left hand threads. Have to get the correct one!!!!!
I have NEVER seen left and/or right hand top link threaded ends listed for sale individually.....anywhere!