Too much pressure? Blowing hydraulic lines.....

tho2nd

Equipment
M7060, LA1154 FEL, 84" Land Pride Snowblower, Wallenstein GX920 Backhoe, HLA 72"
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
Hey all,

I’m running an M7060 with a Wallenstein GX920 backhoe.

Within the last three days I’ve blown two hydraulic lines. One was a line for the main boom, and the other was the main line that connects to the tractor valve body. (The lines blew at different times)

I was digging a stump and putting significant pressure on things.....

Is it possible that the tractor generates too much pressure for the hoe? The hoe specs say its operating pressure is 2250psi. I am running the tractor at around 2200-2500 RPM.

Thoughts? Thanks for any feedback,

TH

bernhardine

Equipment
M4072 (M4D-071), B7000
Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The operating pressure of your M7060 should be 2830 psi.

Maybe thats higher than the backhoe should work with, but it's far below the burst pressure of the lines.

How old are the Lines of the backhoe and at what point did they burst?

tho2nd

Equipment
M7060, LA1154 FEL, 84" Land Pride Snowblower, Wallenstein GX920 Backhoe, HLA 72"
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
Tractor and backhoe were new last year......and I can***8217;t say exactly when the lines burst. I can say I was definitely putting pressure on things to break roots and pry the stump.

When I first starting using the backhoe (as in when I first bought it), any amount of pressure would cause the valve lever in the cab to ***8220;trip***8221; and return to neutral shutting off hydraulics to the hoe. The dealer told me to manually hold the lever in position to prevent this from happening so Once engaged, I wedge the lever into place. Any experience with this?

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Do you have a loader on your M7060?

How many rear remote valves do you have?

Did the hoses break just at a fitting or in the middle of a hose?

Can you invest $30 in a 0-3,000 psi pressure gauge and a quick coupler male fitting so you can plug the gauge into your rear remote?

Dave

tho2nd

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
Hi Dave,

I have the LA1154 loader (with 1 remotes on front for grapple) and two remote valves on rear.

Both hoses blew out the hose itself.....not at a fitting.

And sure, I'd be willing to put some sore of valve inline.....I'd have to do a little research on that one...

tho2nd

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
I use the detent valve for the backhoe. As mentioned earlier the valve self-cancels with hardly any pressure while using the backhoe, so I lock in in place which essentially prevents it from self canceling. This was recommended by my dealer.

The owners manual states this valve will remain open until pressure reaches a predetermined level.

Is this predetermined level adjustable?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use the detent valve for the backhoe. As mentioned earlier the valve self-cancels with hardly any pressure while using the backhoe, so I lock in in place which essentially prevents it from self canceling. This was recommended by my dealer.

The owners manual states this valve will remain open until pressure reaches a predetermined level.

I would get a pressure gauge on it and find out what it's doing exactly.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012

The remote valve detent is just a convenience feature and does not provide high pressure protection in the way you are experiencing the hose rupture.

Something other than the remote valve is going on.

Getting relief valve pressure readings on the tractor rear remote is imperative.

See attached image for the pressure gauge setup. Gauges available at any hydraulic shop or on line.

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd be contacting Wallenstein PDQ ! Send them pictures of where the TWO hoses ruptured, or at least the distance from a the fittings. It is possible they got a substandard batch of hydraulic hose and that extra 500# pressure IS enough to make them burst. Ask them if anyone else has had blown hoses. Be sure to document ( write down) everything if you can, how old, +-hours of actual use, what operation blew the hose.
While hoses are usually tested at 3X operating pressure, that means nothing if the hose is 'bad'.
It's also possible the tractor's putting out ,say 3000# and THAT is well above the 2250# number for the BH.
Frankly I'd be 'gun shy' ...waiting for the 3rd hose to blow, hopefully NOT get hit with high pressure oil.

tho2nd

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
Thanks for all the input. I’ll build a gauge and test some pressures.

Probably dumb questions, but I’ll ask anyway:

-Is it possible to incorrectly connect the backhoe’s supply/return lines?

-So far, no negative comments about locking the detent valve open.......safe to assume that’s an acceptable way to operate?

Getting a line built today and also will build pressure gauge.

Message in to dealer. Waiting for response.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: -Is it possible to incorrectly connect the backhoe’s supply/return lines?

i don't have any first hand knowledge but...

It shouldn't be possible as there should be male/female couplers to make it 'goof proof', same as snowplow setups for Jeeps......

I KNOW the BX23S is goof proof....

IF it isn't M/F.....replumb as required

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
There is a backhoe that has a low pressure return line, 500psi, I believe it was Kelley. If that backhoe was hooked up backwards, you would blow the return line, but nothing else.

Personally, I think you have a bad batch of hoses, but I would check the pressure.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

tho2nd

Equipment
Feb 21, 2019
Maine
I put together a gauge and tested pressure. Nearly a constant 2650psi.....idle and at 2200RPM.

Dealer is also suggesting bad batch of hoses. They're a pretty reputable place and they said if I have any more issues, they'll take care of things.

Thanks a lot for all the input. I definitely learned a little with this thread.

TH

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for all the input. I’ll build a gauge and test some pressures.

Probably dumb questions, but I’ll ask anyway:

-Is it possible to incorrectly connect the backhoe’s supply/return lines?

-So far, no negative comments about locking the detent valve open.......safe to assume that’s an acceptable way to operate?

Getting a line built today and also will build pressure gauge.

Message in to dealer. Waiting for response.
Yes it is possible especially if they are the same fittings.

Doing so could cause relief valves to not operate properly.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
re: -Is it possible to incorrectly connect the backhoe’s supply/return lines?

i don't have any first hand knowledge but...

It shouldn't be possible as there should be male/female couplers to make it 'goof proof', same as snowplow setups for Jeeps......

I KNOW the BX23S is goof proof....

IF it isn't M/F.....replumb as required
On the M7060 machines, the rear remotes are made to operate double acting cylinders.

The factory single remote, before the up to two more optional ones are added, will also handle single acting external cylinders.

The remotes are not like a power beyond backhoe loop on smaller machines.

Dave