To Buy or Not to Buy?

Kubota Christian

Equipment
B7100 HST 4WD
Jun 7, 2017
OH-IO
I've been looking at some older posts and threads. It's fascinating how many people go from being an older-equipment owner to something newer or even brand-new. It makes sense because your first tractor is not always an ideal purchase but more like a getting your feet wet purchase. You study that tractor, learn about comparable models, and you actually spend some time operating.

The person advising me on what to buy knew I was on a tight budget and said: make sure it has a 60 inch belly mower, three point hitch, and "if you can get a loader that would be great." The B7100 had everything but the FEL. Now that they have dug out our foundation, we have mounds of dirt everywhere and I have some low spots that need filled. Looking at my options, a 30 inch dirt scoop seems to be the only way to move dirt effectively without an FEL. $150 for a reversible but rusty used one. $275-500 for new.

Like many others on OTT, I find myself immediately looking all over CL and the dealer websites for used equipment with a loader. And naturally that leads to looking at the prices and payments for new equipment. The consensus seems to be that buying new equipment with the warranty intact is the best way to go if you can afford it. But the frugal part of me says buy the used dirt scoop on CL for $150 and though, again, it is not ideal you have solved the problem on the cheap.

I'm just wondering if there's anybody out there who sort of has buyers regret over what they did at this point, whether it was buying newer equipment without a warranty and a higher percentage loan or buying brand-new and later feeling like they resent the payments or don't use the loader, backhoe, etc. enough to now justify the upgrade? Or maybe there is someone who would say I was in your exact place, kept the old equipment and then the motor blew up or the transmission or whatever. Trying to learn from what others have done in similar situations. Thanks

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
KC,

a box blade if properly used will do what you want, now you cannot move as much dirt as a FEL - butt it will push and pull it very flat! It will be better than the scoop too.
IT will take you a little longer to do what you want, but it will do it well!

Now if you have to move the dirt a long way....this is not going to be the ticket, if the areas that are low are some what near the pile, this would work the best!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I had 8Ns for over 30 years and kept them running and used them for all kinds of projects, maintenance, etc. Got older, bad winter and decided it was time to retire the Ns and go for an upgrade. Did my research and decided on the B2650HSDC; no DPF, comparable size as the Ns, plenty of power for what I do, good reviews, etc, etc. Went to dealer's open house where they had promotional discounts in house and Kubota reps were there with additional discounts, from my research I knew about what I wanted to spend so with the promotions it came in under budget. I got the FEL and a snow blade, had decent implements from the 8Ns. It has been a few months and so far no buyer's remorse, went with Kubota's 60 month no interest, use their money and pad the old credit score.
Sold one 8N and got close to what I paid for it 30 years ago. Put the other one in an auction this weekend and don't know what it brought yet but I used it 19 years so it paid for itself, plus I kept the implements I got with it so have very little in it. Bottom line is tractors seem to retain their value if you keep them maintained.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Unless you just have a hole being burned into your pockets, what 85Hokie said is the most reasonable (least expensive) way to get your described task accomplished.

Kubota made a dirt scoop like you mentioned. It was narrower then the ones you usually see on CL or at current farm stores.

I have a friend with one and I've used it. It's very handy with a smaller tractor because you can raise to higher to get it to dump easier because there is more room between the rear tires.

Finding a loader for a tractor and then getting all the bracketry and hoses is more time, effort and cost then I'd say it's worth....unless you're just bored.

If you just HAVE to have a loader, sell your current tractor (if you need to) and buy one ready to work.

Buying new is very satisfying to many. You get warranty, the satisfaction you're the first person there, and a payment that reduces the padding when you're setting in the pew!

You've indicated you can handle some mechanical problems. That tells me you could handle a tractor that's not new and still meet your desires.

I personally disagree with those guys who think buying something not new is simply buying someone else's problems. I think that's an "old dad's tale"! He couldn't fix much so he passes that excuse on to his sons to justify is lack of mechanical skills.

You can find Kubota tractors all day long with less then 600 hours on them that are mechanically excellent.

If you go shopping for used, take your buddy with you. Use his knowledge to your benefit.

Last edited:

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
From your details sounds like you need a loader. Rent one to do the job, this will probably lead you too buying one. :p

You will not regret having a loader with SSQA and HST. :D

TheDon81

Equipment
Hopefully a BX23S soon
Jun 13, 2017
Pelham, NH
If you have the cash then buying used would be no problem and you'd be able to sell it for close to what you paid for, if you have to finance buying new with 0% is usually the way to go. I just looked at doing this and was getting quotes anywhere from 6%-9% for financing and that brought the price equivalent to new. I would never hesitate to buy used if it'll do what you need for the price you want and is in operational condition.

With that said good luck with your purchase and remember these tractors seem to hold there value well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
holy crap!! (the backhoe & FEL for the 7100) if that works its well worth that money.

like the OP i started out on a older machine here... (the 7200 in the WTS ads)..

its a great machine & did almost everything i asked it to do.

but when i hit its limits it was an easy conversation for the guys here to talk me into getting a bigger- brand new machine. LOL

thats the key:

IF your machine is big enough for everything you do with it? get the scoop & have at it.

IF your machine is not actually big enough for all you are gonna do with it? MOVE UP! & get the FEL! Holy Crap i dont know how i ever did anything without it. makes me lazy. i dont lift much of anything now days with my back. toss it in the bucket, scoop it up.. shove it around...