Tire Chain Repair

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
I've a set of new chains for both the front & rear of the BX24. Chains are V-Bar. Last yr. first trip down the driveway one of the clasps broke. For the life of me can't recall what that part may be called, also if they can be purchased alone. Also, can you folks think of another means to repair, use something else in its place? Thank You Again!

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All you are doing is holding those two links together. That piece just has a hook so it can be removed easily. Anything will work, a carabiner clip if nothing else.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Thank You Both. I spent the day wrestling with the 2 chains at the front just about all I could manage. I've got to finagle a tensioning system as very close to the tie rod ends, don't need to damage those. I discovered 1 of the rear chains also needs a pair of side links for the cross links, & end connector. I will use quick-links there at the ends &, believe I've an idea of my own when it comes time for the tensioners, as the old rubber versions & springs didn't hold up very well. Now if the O'l back will hold up. Broken it twice over the yrs.

Last edited:

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Morning didn't start another thread seems I'm cluttering the forums with many questions. Anyway, this morning. I'm finding the front chains hit the tie rod ends just enough to be a concern. I've tried everything I can think of cinching them up. doing my best to evenly space the cross links, making sure no twists across nor the sides. I'm using turnbuckles to tighten everything up. Do they make spacers that would fit the front axle of a BX24 (4 lugs)? If so can anyone supply a name, link anything? Getting to the point want to push the damned thing over the bank & forget the entire project.

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
Morning didn't start another thread seems I'm cluttering the forums with many questions. Anyway, this morning. I'm finding the front chains hit the tie rod ends just enough to be a concern. I've tried everything I can think of cinching them up. doing my best to evenly space the cross links, making sure no twists across nor the sides. I'm using turnbuckles to tighten everything up. Do they make spacers that would fit the front axle of a BX24 (4 lugs)? If so can anyone supply a name, link anything? Getting to the point want to push the damned thing over the bank & forget the entire project.
brotek, bora, motorsports tech, anybody that sells tractor wheel spacers probably has ones for the front axle as well.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You NEVER put spacers on the front wheels.
Great way to damage the front end!
You need smaller chains!

Reactions: 1 users

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
You NEVER put spacers on the front wheels.
Great way to damage the front end!
You need smaller chains!
Believe I'll take my chances. Chain don't believe I can go any smaller unless go with flowerpot sizes. The Kubota dealer at the time haven both sold installed them even they I recall at the time considered spacers at the front due to being so close. was bad enough the rear chains they installed came around first trip down the drive caught the very edge of the frame quickly broke. This year not going the Kubota way. Lots harder this method, however, already feel off to a better start. Just hoping to have everything wrapped up before heavy snows set in. The ground's already very cold on my O'l back.

Last edited:

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
All you are doing is holding those two links together. That piece just has a hook so it can be removed easily. Anything will work, a carabiner clip if nothing else.
Thank You Luckily, I had eventually found several spares from other chains that had come with the tractor.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
This looks like it might be what you need.
Side Chain Fasteners
Thank You for the link. I indeed saved, just for the hell of it after, went scouting the innerweb (gas monkey garage) term. found several sources with the same, lots less expensive to boot. Least now I've a reference to work from should it be needed in the future. Again, Thank You.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Have a peek at today's setup. Can you see any potential issues? Something could be different? really any ideas certainly welcomed. Using the turnbuckles able to retighten as needed. I may go with another batch of small turnbuckles see if I can produce somewhat of a star pattern, sadly hardware store ran out as I grabbed all that I could locate.

Attachments

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Went and made me a change in my homegrown tensioners, still on the fence with my feelings.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
In img 1011, that 'hook' in the upper left should go through a link then loopback back onto itself.
Probably a few 100 pictures online that'll show what I mean.
Unlikely to overstress the front axle by adding spacers. Most tractors out of the 40-50-60s had adjustable front axles. Besides,if 4WD not much different than adding spacers to the rear axle.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In img 1011, that 'hook' in the upper left should go through a link then loopback back onto itself.
Probably a few 100 pictures online that'll show what I mean.
Unlikely to overstress the front axle by adding spacers. Most tractors out of the 40-50-60s had adjustable front axles. Besides,if 4WD not much different than adding spacers to the rear axle.
The tractors with adjustable front axles are not 4wd!
And FYI It's a huge difference on the front axle and hubs then it is on the rear axle!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Went and made me a change in my homegrown tensioners, still on the fence with my feelings.
You are not installing the latch tensioner properly.
It should go through a link then latch back to the proceeding links in line, not across a bunch of links.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
You are not installing the latch tensioner properly.
It should go through a link then latch back to the proceeding links in line, not across a bunch of links.
I tried like the dickens to loop it back so many times lost count. Just didn't have the strength. When I had them so that I could latch properly chains so very loose, even the tensioners didn't have enough travel to remove slack. Get the chains nice & tight or there abouts, I could no longer loop the latch back over to catch a link. I'll surely be trying several more attempts as still not happy with things the way they are.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I tried like the dickens to loop it back so many times lost count. Just didn't have the strength. When I had them so that I could latch properly chains so very loose, even the tensioners didn't have enough travel to remove slack. Get the chains nice & tight or there abouts, I could no longer loop the latch back over to catch a link. I'll surely be trying several more attempts as still not happy with things the way they are.
You do not need the have the latches tight, just snug is fine.

Rubber tensioners work way better than solid tensioners.

1728093465573.png

1728093524388.png

1728093804910.png

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Ive had several sets of the rubbers didn't last perhaps couple yrs. if that. tried my own springs setup, worked on other machines over the yrs. I like this latest spinoff (turnbuckles) being able to adjust when the mood strikes, worked well at the RR over the yrs., lol now if I ever get the chains mounted to where I like their fit.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
I want back for another round this morn 0700-1200hrs. How many O'l Farts does it take to put on a pair of chains? Anyways, I went back repositioned everything got the locking handle positioned correctly, looped back. I'm still not too sure happy as 1 cross chain is ever so loose, Where yesterday's setup everything nice & tight. I wrestled & wrestled just don't have the strength to catch another side link. To me the rear side links appear even closer to the tie rod ends from yesterday's arrangement. Sure, is a nightmare when everything goes in/out of focus, hands don't work as they used to. Strength lucky if can open a bottle cap. Believe "Diesel" (cat) has more brains at this point. Anyways, todays snapshot.

Attachments