The definition of insanity with a Del Morino flail ...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All done! I notched #5 and #10 flaps to clear the two center links between the rods. Overall this came out the way I envisioned from the start. I might figure out a way to lock the guard in the down position if the extra articulation proves to be a problem when the cutting head is in the vertical position.

The flaps need to be able to swing inward as well as outward and that's the reason for the factory support rod being located where it was. I've retained that feature with this new arrangement.

I'll test it out in a few days but I'm not expecting any issues.

07.jpg

08.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
What about moving the bar up higher? You would have to fab and weld brackets to the front. Also need longer "flaps" to make up the difference.

View attachment 134293
I do like how you're thinking, but as I mentioned above, the flaps need to be able to swing both inwards and outwards so the pivot point of the flaps needed to be maintained. Moving the rod upwards and making longer flaps would prevent them from swinging inward.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last update until I break something else.:giggle:

I did about an hour of cutting this evening and all is good. The cutting head rotates without issue i.e. no interference with the new rod, and the flaps swing freely. When I think about how hard I've run this flail over the past three summers and how well it's held up it's easy to be pleased with the Del Morino.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Looks great! Glad it worked.

I love it when an idea I have actually works.....Heaven only knows that there have been plenty of disappointments.

Reactions: 1 user