The dangers of backdragging - broken curl cylinder

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
Here's a noteworthy thought...ever look at the curl mechanism on a large wheel loader?

They typically have a single large bore cylinder that it coupled to, for lack of a better description, a Z-shaped linkage in such a manner that extending the cylinder is what curls the bucket back and fully retracted is what dumps the bucket.

This arrangement allows for maximum hydraulic force to scoop up material from a pile and maximum strength for the cylinder when back-grading and dumping.
the Z link also helps to get more travel,and a mechanical bucket leveling system,vertical bucket back dragging is a no no in any loader, there is no good way to deal with the forces involved, Komatsu and Cat actually put a relief valve in the in the base side of there curl cylinder(s) to prevent enough resistance to bend a cylinder or break the z link system, it doesn't work 100% of the time but better than nothing.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
Hey Jerrod, ignore the negative comments posted on your YouTube video. They are obviously missing the point. The comments on this site are the better indication of the clips value. Thanks for posting.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would agree. It’s amazing how many people do not understand the physics. You should read some of the comments on my video. Flat out mean and negative. Most of them are saying it’s because Kubota is junk, or the tractor is too small, etc.
Don't be concerned about comments made on a YouTube video. If you look at ANY video on UT that is open to comments a large portion of the comments are made by jackasses who apparently have nothing else to do! Their entertainment is apparently in making comments on anything, nearly all of which they know nothing about.

Your points were well made and will help others who really need to know and care about proper use of their equipment. Like I said, the "folks" who make negative comments more than likely do not own a tractor with a loader, and have a difficult time setting a clock.

Relax, and quit thinking about THEM.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
EVERYONE PLEASE!
Keep to the point at hand, Dangers of back dragging and damages that can occur. ;)

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
I would agree. It’s amazing how many people do not understand the physics. You should read some of the comments on my video. Flat out mean and negative. Most of them are saying it’s because Kubota is junk, or the tractor is too small, etc.

Pride before the fall!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
When I first got my little BX and had nearly no clue what I was doing, I back dragged a little. Enough to quickly realize it did not work. The tractor 'stuttered' as the lip of the FEL dragged and caught the earth. The mound it pulled was quickly unmanageable. So about one minute of doing it taught me it did not work. Slightly less than vertical to nearly flat, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. If material needs to be moved, scoop it up in the bucket and deposit it, dragging it only really works for smoothing and leveling. My $0.01

I still have no clue what I am doing......:eek:

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
Hey Jerrod, ignore the negative comments posted on your YouTube video. They are obviously missing the point. The comments on this site are the better indication of the clips value. Thanks for posting.
Don't be concerned about comments made on a YouTube video. If you look at ANY video on UT that is open to comments a large portion of the comments are made by jackasses who apparently have nothing else to do! Their entertainment is apparently in making comments on anything, nearly all of which they know nothing about.

Your points were well made and will help others who really need to know and care about proper use of their equipment. Like I said, the "folks" who make negative comments more than likely do not own a tractor with a loader, and have a difficult time setting a clock.

Relax, and quit thinking about THEM.
Thanks guys. I try and ignore them. It’s just hard sometimes.

Fastdonzi

Equipment
New Grand L3560
Dec 4, 2015
East Tn
Dang, I was just doing this very thing yesterday not knowing any better, I had my bucket tip pointed straight down and enough pressure to lift the front wheels about an inch, then pulling back to knock down some high spots in a clay front yard.... But not anymore Lol

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
Dang, I was just doing this very thing yesterday not knowing any better, I had my bucket tip pointed straight down and enough pressure to lift the front wheels about an inch, then pulling back to knock down some high spots in a clay front yard.... But not anymore Lol
Someone once said to me that you can incorrectly operate a piece of machinery a hundred times and never have an issue or you could do it once and break it. You just never know.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I was surfing the Westendorf website and they had a unique method of solving the issue of backdragging with the bucket pointed down.

They have a plate that attaches to the back side of the bucket so that you can get a positive rake scraping edge with the bucket level or slightly curled up. I almost think that it is a bolt-on attachment to the bucket but I'm not 100% sure.

It reminds me of the cutting edges on a box blade that will shave dirt either forward or reverse.

jnyost

Sep 12, 2017
Central Ohio
I was surfing the Westendorf website and they had a unique method of solving the issue of backdragging with the bucket pointed down.

They have a plate that attaches to the back side of the bucket so that you can get a positive rake scraping edge with the bucket level or slightly curled up. I almost think that it is a bolt-on attachment to the bucket but I'm not 100% sure.

It reminds me of the cutting edges on a box blade that will shave dirt either forward or reverse.

I like it. I’ve heard of such attachments and there are buckets made with something like that already built on.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Does anyone think some operators get into a habit of backdragging because of visablity? I can see what ever i'm dragging VS not seeing what I am pushing?

I say this because I seen a lot of posts about people adding cameras, etc to thier equipment and I often say to myself if i had some eyes on the front of the loader, then i would know what's going on in front of me!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Does anyone think some operators get into a habit of backdragging because of visablity? I can see what ever i'm dragging VS not seeing what I am pushing?

I say this because I seen a lot of posts about people adding cameras, etc to thier equipment and I often say to myself if i had some eyes on the front of the loader, then i would know what's going on in front of me!
Yup, it is a lot easier to see the bucket and what it is doing Vs a rear blade. On my little BX, with a rear blade, the only force pressing it down the what weight is hanging off of the 3pt. Dragging the bucket, you can apply half the weight of the tractor with the fronts in the air, probably more inclined to do it if we had right and left brakes for steering.
It is easy (too easy) to assume these things are bomb proof and some methods of work just should not be tried.:eek: