test glow plugs BX2200

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
get good quality OHM meter....Lowes/Home Depot/ Any good electrical supply house - about 25 bucks.

Place on Ohms - take leads and touch each other - reading should be zero...or .001 something.

Unhook glow plug leads from glow plug......remove the "wire"

touch top end of glow plug with one lead and NEG battery with other while on OHMS.

YOU know it is good when it shows a number close to 1 ohm, 2 ,3 ohms I would still say it is good......anything that does NOT read, or a very high number....glow plug is bad.

You cannot test a glow plug if it is still hooked up with the lead on top;)

A less accurate way is to have a infrared thermometer......point at base where it goes into head, record reading - turn glow plugs on for about 30 seconds and read again.....you should see a rise in head temp at that specific spot.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I should ask where they're located too, I guess. lol
Lets back this bus up a bit and start over......

You have had this tractor for a while? Or new to you?

It does not start, rather white smoke goes out?

It use to start fine and now does not?

Give us the background and more specifics on this tractor:)

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
The resistance from each glow plug to ground should be 0.9ohms. This is with all wires disconnected. If its 0 then its shorted. See if you can borrow a quality multi meter to test.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I own a good VOM

the tractor starts fine. I'm just getting ready for winter and want to make sure the glow plugs are working correctly

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I am SO glad that I live south of the line, but I do remember living North of it...which SUCKED. Winter time is a useless waste of time as I remember. Can't do anything outside without freezing. Unfortunately I freeze VERY easily so living in the South is nice.

99% of the time glow plugs aren't needed here. There's that ONE day every few years, though.....

By the way, Kubota glow plugs don't fail very often. Worth checking though, especially if you live in Iowa or Northward.

That's quite smart to check them BEFORE the cold season hits. I certainly wish my customers were that thoughtful. There are a few of them but it's a rarity. Deer season started this past Saturday at daylight. Friday at 1700, I am getting calls wanting to get 4 wheelers running before the morning; and yes I worked all night, well until 0300, at which point I was too exhausted to think straight. Had one left and it simply had to wait until the afternoon after I got a little rest.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
All- glowplugs are AOK

Lugbolt- hope you got some hunting in, assuming you're hunter!

Nope! Too many Kubota's to work on to find time to hunt. Also work on small boats, so now that waterfowl seasons are coming up-and we have water (for once), they'll be dragging those boats out on opening day, sitting at my gate at 0400 waiting for me to go suck out their year old gas and clean carburetor(s) so that they can be at the ramp by 0600.

I like what I do but after close to 3 decades, I'm getting worn out-physically, to the point where I can't even go fishing as my arthritic hands can't hold the fishing rod for very long. Even then when something larger is on the line it's nearly impossible to land it. I wish I could retire. Still have a few years though.

dggott

Equipment
bx2200
Jul 14, 2018
Tipton IA
I was supposed to be a millionaire by now. More broke than ever. Never planned on retiring anyway.... lol

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
get good quality OHM meter....Lowes/Home Depot/ Any good electrical supply house - about 25 bucks.

Place on Ohms - take leads and touch each other - reading should be zero...or .001 something.

Unhook glow plug leads from glow plug......remove the "wire"

touch top end of glow plug with one lead and NEG battery with other while on OHMS.

YOU know it is good when it shows a number close to 1 ohm, 2 ,3 ohms I would still say it is good......anything that does NOT read, or a very high number....glow plug is bad.

You cannot test a glow plug if it is still hooked up with the lead on top;)

A less accurate way is to have a infrared thermometer......point at base where it goes into head, record reading - turn glow plugs on for about 30 seconds and read again.....you should see a rise in head temp at that specific spot.

Great advise nicely put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk