SVL95-2 - Vandalism

SVL 95-2 - Idaho

Equipment
SVL 95-2
Dec 23, 2022
Idaho
So, I just paid off my 2017 Kubota SVL95-2 earlier this year. I took it about 1/2 mile from my house to load some items onto a trailer, left it over-night, and it was vandalized. The thief(s) removed the DPF and other items (including lights), and in the process were not careful doing so. I just got the repair bid from my local dealer. $32,000...which I can't afford at the moment. I understand the DPF filter and related items accounts for around $15K of the bill. I am wondering if there is any way to put this thing back together without that system? In the Boise area where I live, we've had to have the emissions tested on our vehicles for several years. That requirement is coming to an end next year, so I can't imagine anyone will be too concerned if I am not treating the exhaust on this piece of equipment.
By the way, I bought it to use around my small home acreage, and granted it is a bit overkill for what I need. While at my home it is covered under my homeowners. Something I didn't think about when I moved it 1/2 mile from my house to load a few items. SMH.

Any thoughtful advice will be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas.

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your vandalism. I think there's more to the DPF system than simply running without it. There are sensors, computers and all that stuff to make it work together.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Don't know what to say, except that I REALLY feel your pain.
You have reminded me that I must never take my TLB off my property.....even just a little bit.
I too am covered by my homeowners policy.....but also, ONLY on my property!
Crazy as it may seem, liability could have also been an issue for you, if someone was hurt during the theft.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
In theory the dpf system is simple. Two sensors on either side of the screen monitor pressure. When the delta gets high enough a regen is triggered.

Mimic the output of the two sensors during high efficiency and the ECU is none the wiser.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm trying to understand WHY anyone would steal the DPF ,unless of course they needed that unit ?
Any chance they have serial numbers, recorded from the factory ?
Any neighbours have security cameras ? Post ad for dash cameras ,on that road ,at the time ??
Ask delivery guys, fedex,UBER,etc. if they were there...
Are you 'SURE ' the theft didn't occour on your property.....
yeah, I know, you've already called the police, filled out the paperwork but it does STINK that your insurance won't cover it... I assume no KTAC policy ??
hmm, as it wasn't being used for business ( just sitting there....) maybe the policy does cover it ??

bottom line it really, really sucks

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Might put an ad on FB marketplace or or similar resource in your area looking for DPF components for an older SLV 92 Kubota. Word it so it appears you're trying to get something that's been setting for a while to run. You may get a nibble from someone needing some cash. Friends tell friends some crazy things some time and the word may get around.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I'm trying to understand WHY anyone would steal the DPF ,unless of course they needed that unit ?
Any neighbours have security cameras ? Post ad for dash cameras ,on that road ,at the time ??
yeah, I know, you've already called the police, filled out the paperwork but it does STINK that your insurance won't cover it... I assume no KTAC policy ??
hmm, as it wasn't being used for business ( just sitting there....) maybe the policy does cover it ??

My guess would be, they took it for the same reason catalytic converters are taken.

Reactions: 1 user

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
They steal the DPF filters for the scrap value.
Some of the filters bring big money.
Over $500 for some catalytic converters at the scrap yard.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
About the only way your going to get around this is to buy the parts, install the parts then haul it to a dealer to have it programed.
Or ( Not the best advice ) Buy a delete kit and install it.

SVL 95-2 - Idaho

Equipment
SVL 95-2
Dec 23, 2022
Idaho
In theory the dpf system is simple. Two sensors on either side of the screen monitor pressure. When the delta gets high enough a regen is triggered.

Mimic the output of the two sensors during high efficiency and the ECU is none the wiser.
Way over my head, but thanks for providing at least some shred of hope.

SVL 95-2 - Idaho

Equipment
SVL 95-2
Dec 23, 2022
Idaho

I made the rounds, without any luck. The police took fingerprints and at least one of the guys is a smoker. DNA in process. I understand it is going to take several months to get those results. These property damage cases don't get much attention and if the same lab is working on the U of I murders, I bet I don't hear anything for a year or longer...which is understandable.

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I think you are pretty much stuck with replacing it or using a delete kit. The tractor is probably simpler than a truck application because the truck will monitor particulate loading along with heat including post-DPF to ensure a shutdown if exhaust temperature goes too high. If EPA Tier IV for tractors is anywhere as complex as it is for highway vehicles, the ECM program will also have a time limit between regen events and will go into error/limp mode if it runs too long without the normal particulate loading gain over time. So you not only would need sensors to provide valid data at a point in time, they would also have to indicate the typical increase in pressure drop across the DPF over time followed by a regen and a return to low drop. Thus for any sophisticated system, a delete kit with reprogrammed controller is the only option.

I am with Islam on vandals/thieves, cut off their hands. Several years ago a local quarry was hit by probable meth heads who stole about $10,000 worth of copper from motors and wiring and did about a million in damage in the process. I much preferred the article about the idiots who tried to steal materials from an operational electrical substation and turned themselves into crispy critters in the process.

Rodger

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I made the rounds, without any luck. The police took fingerprints and at least one of the guys is a smoker. DNA in process. I understand it is going to take several months to get those results. These property damage cases don't get much attention and if the same lab is working on the U of I murders, I bet I don't hear anything for a year or longer...which is understandable.
Considering your situation I am solidly in the delete kit camp.
No one will ever be the wiser for it......especially if you plan to keep it for a while.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

yes "in theory".

The rest of it is, that there is also a DPF regen time, among other things. IOW, after a certain number of hours usage, it will automatically trigger a regen based on that time AND the pressure sensor readings-and not so much the differential pressure sensors by themselves. Once it's triggered, it looks heavily at the differential pressure sensors and EGT sensors. If it doesn't see what it wants to, and it won't without the DPF installed, then it will generate a check engine light, engine derate, etc. And there's even more to it than that, but that's the nuts and bolts of it. You can't just bypass it, unfortunately.

Just like trucks. It's all really the same basic system just smaller. And more expensive.

You got insurance on it? If so, there's a good opportunity to use it.

SVL 95-2 - Idaho

Equipment
SVL 95-2
Dec 23, 2022
Idaho
So, I just paid off my 2017 Kubota SVL95-2 earlier this year. I took it about 1/2 mile from my house to load some items onto a trailer, left it over-night, and it was vandalized. The thief(s) removed the DPF and other items (including lights), and in the process were not careful doing so. I just got the repair bid from my local dealer. $32,000...which I can't afford at the moment. I understand the DPF filter and related items accounts for around $15K of the bill. I am wondering if there is any way to put this thing back together without that system? In the Boise area where I live, we've had to have the emissions tested on our vehicles for several years. That requirement is coming to an end next year, so I can't imagine anyone will be too concerned if I am not treating the exhaust on this piece of equipment.
By the way, I bought it to use around my small home acreage, and granted it is a bit overkill for what I need. While at my home it is covered under my homeowners. Something I didn't think about when I moved it 1/2 mile from my house to load a few items. SMH.

Although this machine had treated me flawlessly up to the time it was vandalized (granted it has less than 300 hours on it), I now understand that there are a lot of people that have had, or are having, significant problems with the regen system. My hope is someone has figured out a way to totally delete the system and reflash (whatever this means...LOL) the computer. And they're willing to let me ship this thing to them, to do the same at some price. Alternately, anyone have an idea what this thing would be worth as a parts machine and who might be a buyer?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Wow, so sorry about this.
The vandalism almost seems organized - an overnight theft? Really?
Not being familiar with the intricacies of the machine/DPF system, how long would it take to steal what was stolen? Or maybe as you implied - things were ripped out...

Hopefully you can just delete and have a great machine again.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I just got the repair bid from my local dealer. $32,000...which I can't afford at the moment. I understand the DPF filter and related items accounts for around $15K of the bill.
So, the dealer wants $17,000.00 for labor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No, the estimate for labor is about $5,500. As mentioned, the thieves were not careful. They cut just about every wire harness, pipes and tubes possible to get at the DPF filters, exhaust system, etc.
And the morons probably thought they were stealing a catalytic converter.
The scrap valve of a DPF filter is just that scrap valve.

Sale value of a ripped up unit is not going to be great, I personally would give you about 25k to 30k for it max.
That's not being a low baller, that's being practical, Why so low.
Can't guarantee that anything is 100% good or right, not the drive, the hydraulics, the engine, the electronics, the A/C -Heat.
It's all a risk it the buyer.
The parts to get it fixed properly, and in a resell-able condition are really steep.
Along with the time involved.

Have you seen if the dealership will offer you anything good as a trade in on a new one?