SVL 75 stalling

Cobra2411

Jun 2, 2019
Parksburg Pa
Ok, so I borrowed my neighbor's borrowed SVL75 to do some yard cleaning. Everything was going great for about 2 hours till it lost power, stumbled a bit then stalled. Talked to the neighbor and he said it has done it to him a few times. It's his bosses and it apparently doesn't get used much. I'm suspecting bad fuel or trash in the tank, maybe algae. I found some algae in the water separator, but that could be just from a little water in the separator. The screen looked clean, air filter is not blocked. It's got 340 hours on it.

When I reassembled the separator and turned the fuel valve on nothing happened. I turned the lift pump on and it slowly started to fill. I know nothing about kabotas or the track loader, but I would have expected it to fill quickly. My next thought is to pull the line off and see how fast the fuel comes out. There's about 1/2 a tank.

Thoughts? I'm an A&P mechanic, so I'd feel a little more at home if it had wings and went a bit faster... :)

Thanks,
David

Jim67

Equipment
L225DT
Apr 29, 2019
Kernersville, North Carolina
Ok, so I borrowed my neighbor's borrowed SVL75 to do some yard cleaning. Everything was going great for about 2 hours till it lost power, stumbled a bit then stalled. Talked to the neighbor and he said it has done it to him a few times. It's his bosses and it apparently doesn't get used much. I'm suspecting bad fuel or trash in the tank, maybe algae. I found some algae in the water separator, but that could be just from a little water in the separator. The screen looked clean, air filter is not blocked. It's got 340 hours on it.

When I reassembled the separator and turned the fuel valve on nothing happened. I turned the lift pump on and it slowly started to fill. I know nothing about kabotas or the track loader, but I would have expected it to fill quickly. My next thought is to pull the line off and see how fast the fuel comes out. There's about 1/2 a tank.

Thoughts? I'm an A&P mechanic, so I'd feel a little more at home if it had wings and went a bit faster... :)

Thanks,
David
LOL! Im an A&P mechanic also. Sounds like a fuel problem to me. Runs a bit then dies. (hasn't been run a lot)= junk in the fuel. Could be wrong.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
A thread to remind me NOT to loan any equipment to pretty much anyone!

When the one who borrows something and then loans it out to someone, I don't want to deal with. In my opinion, that is going far beyond what borrowing something is about. It defines the character of the borrower. Sad.

Cobra2411

Jun 2, 2019
Parksburg Pa
A thread to remind me NOT to loan any equipment to pretty much anyone!

When the one who borrows something and then loans it out to someone, I don't want to deal with. In my opinion, that is going far beyond what borrowing something is about. It defines the character of the borrower. Sad.
While I do agree that you should be careful who you loan tools to but you don't know the situation, so I would save comments about how it's sad or how it says something about the borrower.

I'm going to pump the tank out, see what it looks like coming out. Then I'll blow the line out. Not sure if there's any way to get into the tank for cleaning.

Are any of the fungicides that you can put into the tank any good?

David

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
David -

I agree with ‘Cat’s sentiments about borrowing, but my hat’s off to you to try to fix it.
Was not a problem of your making.
I have no idea about efficacy, but I recently bought Power Service Bio Kleen and treated my first fuel can. I’ve seen so many guys having algal problems....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cobra2411

Jun 2, 2019
Parksburg Pa
When it showed up I joked with my neighbor about when was it my turn to play. The next day he said he talked to his boss and it was ok if I used it. So i decided to do the same thing he's doing and clear the back of my property of weeds and brush. Also, I have a reputation of returning things in the same or better condition then when I got it. I've got a friend who keeps joking that I shouldn't be surprised when his non-running excavator shows up in my drive... He says I can borrow it as long as I want.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Take the outlet hose off of the fuel filter head and turn the key switch to run. I doubt you will get more than a trickle of fuel.
You can also take the electric lift pump outlet hose off and check fuel flow there. It should have a full stream that slightly pulses.

Most likely needs the fuel filter replaced. If you remove the LR cover under the engine compartment you will find a drain off hose for the sump in the fuel tank. You can drain off a quart of fuel from the bottom of the tank where the water and debris are at.

Is it a SVL75 or SVL75-2?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When it showed up I joked with my neighbor about when was it my turn to play. The next day he said he talked to his boss and it was ok if I used it. So i decided to do the same thing he's doing and clear the back of my property of weeds and brush. Also, I have a reputation of returning things in the same or better condition then when I got it. I've got a friend who keeps joking that I shouldn't be surprised when his non-running excavator shows up in my drive... He says I can borrow it as long as I want.
I would suggest you be a little more polite!

Off of the info you first gave, I would have said the exact same thing as D2Cat, not good character to re-loan out something that was loaned to the original party to use.

You were way too quick to admonishing D2Cat, for the same thing that most of us think, then later come back to give "the rest of the story".

Whitetiger is giving excellent info for you, per his usual! ;)

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I would suggest you be a little more polite!

Off of the info you first gave, I would have said the exact same thing as D2Cat, not good character to re-loan out something that was loaned to the original party to use.

You were way too quick to admonishing D2Cat, for the same thing that most of us think, then later come back to give "the rest of the story".

Whitetiger is giving excellent info for you, per his usual! ;)

How could someone ask for help and be more polite? I’m confused.

If there is algae in the fuel filter, my guess is there’s algae throughout the system. It could be a real pain fixing this if thats the case.

Last edited:

Cobra2411

Jun 2, 2019
Parksburg Pa
Posting an update. I blew out the line between the water strainer and tank and it's running like a whipped mule. No doubt there's trash in the line.

I talked to the owner and told him my thoughts. He told me he would sent his repair guy over if I need it. He sent a new fuel filter home with my neighbor and will be getting some fuel treatment for the tank. So I put the new fuel filter on for him. I did that before I blew out the line and it only ran for 10 minutes before stalling. Once the line was blown out I ran it for well over an hour with no issues. It's going back to the owner this weekend and he said he would take care of the rest of the maintenance / repairs on it.

To North Idaho Wolfman, I have no problem with comments about re-loaning out equipment, etc. I felt the very end of the comment was insulting to my neighbor. I didn't share that part of the story because I didn't think it was relevant at the time. As for my comments I simply suggested that comments about the character of my neighbor should be saved and not posted.

Also, I don't know if it's a SVL75 or SVL75-2.

Thanks for the help.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Cobra2411, you come on the forum, make a statement about a piece of equipment that has failed while you are operating it, and that you borrowed from a neighbor who borrowed it from his boss.

Those are the facts you stated. After you didn't like my response of borrowing borrowed items you come back and explain more details.

I said, " It defines the character of the borrower. Sad." And it sure does, based on what you said!

It was General MacArthur who said to his communications officer, "Don't ever issue a communique that can be understood. Always issue a communique that can not be misunderstood."

Don't tell the whole story only to try to look right.