Stupid little "project"

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
So, there I am working on my daughters Jeep the other day as it needed rear wheel bearings.

Obviously I have to take off the rear wheels and while I was putting them back on, it hits me.

Now is the perfect time to make some "Wheel Keepers".

BTW, a big 🖕to the person at Diamler/Chrysler/Fiat/Stellantis/ (whomever owns them this week) that is responsible for going to the "European/(German?)" style "Lug Nuts"...

Anywho, I have some spare "lug nuts" because I replaced them when the chrome caps started to swell up, making it difficult/impossible to find the correct size socket to use.

[ For those unfamiler with the "EU/German style" way of attaching wheels, they don't have studs. It's a flat face rotor and the "lug nuts" are actually "bolts"......So there is nothing to hang the wheel on while you grab the other "bolts". So it's a Cluster&*(^k trying to get the wheel on.]

Heres a pic of my "donor lug"

View attachment 131185

Well I tried to just wrap some tape around the threads and chuck it up in the lathe, but it was not very "centered" and kept spinning, so I decide to try and grab the "head" of it and drill a hole so I can use my "Live Center" when I make the cuts.

View attachment 131186

Next up, I moved the "head" of the bolt so that I am gripping just enough of the end of it and use the Live Center to support it.

I was concerned that if I did not use the Live Center, I would have pushed the bolt out of place when cutting it.
Just FYI. When the chrome caps come off the remaining nut is now either 18.5mm or 19.5 mm.
Snap on makes the socket.
See attached

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
That doesn't look like a Snap-On socket. It looks like a reasonably priced socket. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Just FYI. When the chrome caps come off the remaining nut is now either 18.5mm or 19.5 mm.
See attached
It’s probably obvious, but I’ve never seen a socket that had two ends of different sizes or even two ends at all. How does one drive it?

It doesn’t look like you’re holding two separate sockets together for the purpose of illustration, but maybe you are?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
There is a 1/2" female square drive hole in the middle, just like a regular socket.
You have to use an extension to drive them.
I have a set of (5) double-ended sockets just like that at my place in the high country- 5/8" through 15/16", if I remember right.
Places like Discount Tire use them also.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I still have the 5/8" x 3/4" socket, but the long shaft impact gun that I used it on was sent out for refurbishing, and when it came back it only had the short shaft. I got shafted on that repair. I shouldn't have trusted my Snap-On dealer who was coveting my impact wrench whenever he saw it in the shop.

• Haha

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Yep, now you got it. I can still remember that drawing on the high school shop wall showing the proper use of a center drill. Just so you know, I have been doing machining for the past 62 years and have owned and operated my tool & die shop for the past 39 years. When you need a hand, please reach out, I always liked to help anyone that actually wants to learn.
Thank you for the offer.

I will take you up on that one day.

Lots of smart people on this board for sure.....(y)(y)(y)

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
re: mix of studs and bolts
Probably the main reason .....It's FASTER on the assembly line....
Yep, I could not agree more.

Because of my proximity to Detroit, most of my friends/family are tied directly to manufacturing in some way, and I have been told hundreds/thousands of times that things are built with initial assembly as the primary concern, not the repairs afterward.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
See attached
I have owned a number of Jeeps and currently own a Ram 1500. Those OEM lug nuts with chrome caps are a horrible design and one of my pet peeved. They fail on a regular basis and at the most inopportune time.

I just replaced ALL of the OEM lugnuts on the RAM 1500 with aftermarket nuts that are one piece chromed steel not capped. Readily available for about a buck each. No special socket needed.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Had trouble uploading pic, but here it is.

View attachment 131187

After a few passes, the "chrome cap" pops free and the whole thing gets a little "kadi-whompus".

View attachment 131188

So I have to 're-chuck it up".

View attachment 131189

Then I go up and measure one of the wheel holes, and continue "trimming' it down.

View attachment 131190

Now for my "nemesis" .........Parting it Off!!!!!

Well that turns into a "Sh!t Show" right quick; and because it's so close to hitting the chuck, I decide to find another way.

View attachment 131191

Hmmmmm.....now how the hell am I going to hold this without screwing up the threads.....

Eureka!!!!!!

If I clamp a similar diameter pipe into the band saw, all I have to do is hold it from spinning.....

ATTENTION: All OSHA personnel and "Safety Nazi's", please skip the next 3 pics altogether.

View attachment 131192

View attachment 131193

View attachment 131194
For something like that I would have held the threaded portion in a 5C collet. Or simply put a couple wraps of tape on the threads and chucked it in a 3 jaw.....

Dan

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I still have the 5/8" x 3/4" socket, but the long shaft impact gun that I used it on was sent out for refurbishing, and when it came back it only had the short shaft. I got shafted on that repair. I shouldn't have trusted my Snap-On dealer who was coveting my impact wrench whenever he saw it in the shop.
It gets shorter with age. 🤣

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Yep, I could not agree more.

Because of my proximity to Detroit, most of my friends/family are tied directly to manufacturing in some way, and I have been told hundreds/thousands of times that things are built with initial assembly as the primary concern, not the repairs afterward.
No kidding. I haven't noticed repair work not being convenient. 😁