Stuck Filter Solution

Justacafe

Equipment
L4310
Apr 5, 2014
Madison, wi
My tractor --> L4310

Problem: Stuck HST filter (on left side). And this filter was really stuck!

Solution: It took two people, but it came loose easily. My son applied the pressure using a standard filter wrench (after breaking two others, one pliers type and the other half chain, half metal strap) while I tapped with a hammer & metal screwdriver on the notches at the top of the filter. (See photos) It took less than 4 taps, and the filter finally broke loose.

Bottom Line: Don't give up. Find help for certain problems. I called two separate Kubota dealers, and they both said "Yes, we've run into that problem, but we have special tools to deal with that." So.....my special tool was help, via my son.

Attachments

Last edited:

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT

Justacafe

Equipment
L4310
Apr 5, 2014
Madison, wi
Looks like a spanner wrench would help remove that.

I have used my adjustable oil filter wrench several times to remove those. I put a good 3/8" extension and 3/8" ratchet on it and they always come loose.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-univ...1x000001&kpid=02820523000&kispla=02820523000P

Sometimes this wrench will partially collapse the end of the filter, but it always has come off.
Thanks for that info. I'll get one of those for next time. I almost used a full-chain wrench on it this time, but I didn't want to damage the filter in case I would have had no choice but to leave it on. Thankfully, I did get it off, but I'm getting one of those spanner wrenches. I love tools! :D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use a pipe wrench to pull off filters. They don't argue much :D
I've yet to have a "stuck" filter.
I agree in principle, but I can't think of any oil filter on anything I've ever owned that had enough room to get a pipe wrench in position, let alone enough room to swing the wrench. (with the exception of the filter on my B670 hoe, which never sticks)

AZSahara

Equipment
B2320
Feb 26, 2014
Arizona
I bought a set of the biggest channel lock pliers I'd ever seen for suspension work on my jeep. Have yet to meet the stuck filter that these pliers won't handle.

www.channellock.com

Look for the "480 Big AZZ" pliers under tongue and groove pliers.

They also make a pretty slick dedicated filter pliers that looks like it is designed for the filter in the OPs pic.

Last edited:

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
Ditto on the monster channel locks [don't be tempted by the cheap imitations!]. I use them for all my filter changes also. Great for checking ball-joints on vehicles too!

Always remember to oil the filter o-ring to help prevent sticking.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I've found that on virtually all late model machines all filters are apparently installed dry by factory--no evidence of any lube whatsoever.

I've found a set of three (different sizes) ChannelLock brand PVC / filter pliers will fit all filters and will remove same. Haven't yet had a failure to remove. Only problem might be access where the user has to have room to maneuver at right angles to the filter body.

The PVC / filter plier is much better than the largest 'pump' plier.

Echo previous poster: stay with ChannelLock and away from knock-offs. Damaging a filter without removing it is a sure buzz kill for the rest of your day.

I've had absolutely no luck with the fiber-type strap wrench wrapped around a square bar. Would certainly be handy, just haven't been able to get one to work.

Justacafe

Equipment
L4310
Apr 5, 2014
Madison, wi
When all is said and done, yes ChannelLock is tops, but this is what took that filter off. Sears Craftsman Universal Oil Filter Wrench. Use your 3/8 inch square driver ratchet or your 3/4 inch wrench to turn the oil filter wrench effortlessly.

Attachments

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Glad my suggestion helped you Justacafe, I have used that thing for just about everything and NEVER had a problem. It will go down to the little tiny BX oil filters and all the way up to the largest M series hydro filters, and everything inbetween!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Having had just too much trouble especially in tight quarters, i put my lathe to work and with the welder made these. They work great. Using pipe wrenches, channel locks collapse the thin metal, but you give the thing a rap to mark where the pins go and then with a punch make the holes, followed by pounding this in, nothing stops these tools. Make up a few for different size filters.

Attachments

AZSahara

Equipment
B2320
Feb 26, 2014
Arizona
Having had just too much trouble especially in tight quarters, i put my lathe to work and with the welder made these. They work great. Using pipe wrenches, channel locks collapse the thin metal, but you give the thing a rap to mark where the pins go and then with a punch make the holes, followed by pounding this in, nothing stops these tools. Make up a few for different size filters.
Those are darned near medieval! Awesome!

Justacafe

Equipment
L4310
Apr 5, 2014
Madison, wi
having had just too much trouble especially in tight quarters, i put my lathe to work and with the welder made these. They work great. Using pipe wrenches, channel locks collapse the thin metal, but you give the thing a rap to mark where the pins go and then with a punch make the holes, followed by pounding this in, nothing stops these tools. Make up a few for different size filters.
kool.....!!!

PrairieSoul

Equipment
B2920 BX2755HD LA364FL BH65
Dec 23, 2013
Manitoba

Awesome set of tools. Years ago we used to stab a screwdriver through the filter and twist to break it loose.

The worst I came across was a situation where I had to cut the filter off literally using a small set of bolt cutters to nibble the filter off and using a chisel to smash off the remaining flange. The screwdriver approach just ripped through the housing.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Recently had the same problem changing the xmission filters on my zero turn. Small filter with with a casting covering about 60% of it to limit access. Stopped by NAPA and the guy sold me a wrench that goes on the end of the filter, then use a ratchet. That broke almost immediately. Ended up driving a 5/16 drift through it to get it out. Its irritating when a 20 minute project turns into a whole afternoon!!

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I've been going through this for the last week on my L4600. I bent two oil filter wrenches trying to remove the hydro filter on the left side. My Kubota dealer sold me a super heavy duty pliers type filter wrench. No luck. All it did was scratch the paint on the filter. I finally got it off today with a 24 inch pipe wrench but I had to remove the HST pedal, the floorboard and the left rear fender to get to it. What a GIANT PITA. I promise you the new filter is only going on hand tight.