Stuck Brake B7100

sanddog

Equipment
L4240 B7100
Jul 10, 2016
Spicewood, Texas
I have a B7100 that I recently purchased that had been sitting for awhile. The left brake is stuck and I determined that it is the shaft that goes beneath the tractor and allows the pedal on the right to actuate the lever going to the left brake. I have removed both brake pedals on right side of tractor and linkage for clutch on left that runs on same shaft. I think the shaft should drive out to the left (clutch) side of the tractor, but I cannot get it to budge. I have sprayed on lubricant, but there is limited access.

Is there anything holding this shaft in place that I am overlooking?

Thanks,

sanddog

Equipment
L4240 B7100
Jul 10, 2016
Spicewood, Texas
You can get the work shop manuals for your tractor here.

http://www.kubotabooks.com/AutoInde...s/&AutoIndex=1786e1006a6663a0fc94d072a5a914ff

It's a three part manual. You can also find the parts manual at kubota books as well :D
Thanks Daren. I do have the parts manual and I believe it shows the shaft as I described but there is something on the drawing that I cannot discern. It looks like something along the bottom of the shaft but there is nothing visible from the beneath the tractor.

chknscratch

Apr 26, 2014
Leeds, AL
I don't really follow your exact reasoning of why you want to tap that shaft out. I just ran downstairs and looked at mine. I did some work on my tractor and admittedly have not got that tractor(B7100D), back together 100% and running right now, but I did put the brake links back already and they seam to function properly. I have a B7100 HST out in the yard, that does run and I think it is the same way.

Mine has a grease zerk on the left end of the shaft, if that means anything at all. Glad to help a bit more, but not sure what effect taking that out will have for you.

sanddog

Equipment
L4240 B7100
Jul 10, 2016
Spicewood, Texas
I don't really follow your exact reasoning of why you want to tap that shaft out. I just ran downstairs and looked at mine. I did some work on my tractor and admittedly have not got that tractor(B7100D), back together 100% and running right now, but I did put the brake links back already and they seam to function properly. I have a B7100 HST out in the yard, that does run and I think it is the same way.

Mine has a grease zerk on the left end of the shaft, if that means anything at all. Glad to help a bit more, but not sure what effect taking that out will have for you.
The shaft will not rotate to allow the left brake to be applied. It looks like i will have to remove it to clean it and restore function.

sanddog

Equipment
L4240 B7100
Jul 10, 2016
Spicewood, Texas
I finally go the shaft out using a torch to heat the cross tube it rides in and using an eight pound sledge hammer to drive it out. It took about two hours to get it out and apparently it must have been stuck for years. I guess the previous owner just relied upon the right break.

The pictures show the cross tube in which the shaft rides and the actual shaft. I discovered that there is only one hole in the shaft where grease moves out to lubricate the shaft. Unfortunately the hole is near the left hand side and grease appears to only get to that side of the shaft allowing for problems across most of the shaft. This was reflected in the observed corrosion on the shaft; less on the left end. The blue tape marked the outside ends of the shaft that run in the cross tube. The brakes and clutch pedals cover the rest of the shaft.

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Is the shaft center drilled, or can you drill it further and then drill another greasing port into the shaft?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Glad you got it apart. I know how it feels when something is stuck like that. Polish shaft, clean bore and grease it up.
If getting it lubed is a concern, drill and tap tube where it you think a grease fitting should be.
Many times i have welded a 1/4" nut to screw a fitting onto/ into something.