Stuck between Kubota M62 and L47

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
And they are great for those who use them often. For most of us, a tractor is a Swiss Army knife of many uses.
The dedicated TLB series are Swiss army knives also.
Just bigger, and more capable, than utility tractors with a BH hung on the rear.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have had many different pieces of equipment on the our hillside wooded farm over 50 years. Favorite is the M59. Armored and for woods work. Used 85% in 3pt mode. 6’ long bottom grapple, Danuser Intimdator grapple, 5’ HD long bottom bucket with Piranha blade. Compact, powerful and well balanced. Don’t want a FEL wide bucket for woods work.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Kubota sells/has sold DEDICATED TLBs, like the L47, L48, M59. M62.
The loaders are also not detachable on these machines
They are TRUE TLBs.
A utility tractor with a backhoe attachment, is a compromised animal.
Though BHs can be detached from purpose built BH machines, it is not often done.
So with a backhoe "permanently" on the rear you're not pulling a trailer, a rotary cutter, a flail, a folding cutter, a snow blower, a disc harrow, a plow, or anything for that matter. Hardly the Swiss Army Knife you're always boasting about.

I'll stick with my toy tractors that have more than one trick up their sleeve, and when I actually need or want to get serious about excavation I sure as heck wouldn't buy a TLB which is a compromised animal when it comes to serious excavation work. I'll buy a mini excavator in the 5 ton range.

TheSaint68

Equipment
Kubota M62, Virnig V60 Grapple
Jul 8, 2024
Connecticut
We live in CT and use our 2020 M62 for moving firewood logs, digging out those Connecticut potatoes, ie. rocks, and plowing our drive. Love it the capacity using a Virnig V60 grapple is more than enough for most.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So with a backhoe "permanently" on the rear you're not pulling a trailer, a rotary cutter, a flail, a folding cutter, a snow blower, a disc harrow, a plow, or anything for that matter. Hardly the Swiss Army Knife you're always boasting about.

I'll stick with my toy tractors that have more than one trick up their sleeve, and when I actually need or want to get serious about excavation I sure as heck wouldn't buy a TLB which is a compromised animal when it comes to serious excavation work. I'll buy a mini excavator in the 5 ton range.

I think you may have mistaken Frieds post. The loaders on Kubota TLBs are "permanently attached", the backhoes however are removable just the same as any other backhoe attachment on the other tractors. They also have a PTO. ;)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think you may have mistaken Frieds post. The loaders on Kubota TLBs are "permanently attached", the backhoes however are removable just the same as any other backhoe attachment on the other tractors. They also have a PTO. ;)
Maybe, but the comment "though BHs can be detached from purpose built BH machines, it is not often done." seemed to be comparing the TLB to "utility tractors with a BH hung on the rear."

My main objection is when someone implies or states that there is only one good choice and that any other choice is a foolish or uninformed one.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am "Team Backhoe".

I can take mine off, and use my 3 pt stuff, and it is certainly not as good as a mini-ex, but it comes in very handy.

One would be surprised at how often it gets used....and the main reason it gets used so often is because "it's there already".

It's kinda hard to explain, but when you are doing something,

and need it real quick, having one sure beats..........

1. Call the rental place and make appointment.
2. Drive to go get it. (1 hour in my case)
3. load it.
4. drive it back. (another hour)
5. unload it.
6. use it for 2 hours.
7. clean it. (40 minutes)
8. load it
9. drive it back. (another hour)
10. unload it.
11. have it inspected, then pay for it.
12. drive back. (another hour)
13. get to work again.

I much prefer to just have it on site. then its.....

1. turn around
2. use Backhoe
3. get back to work

Like I said, it's difficult to explain, but I love mine and highly recommend one.

Now would I dig a basement, or dig a 6' trench that is 500 yards long with mine?......(No probably not.....but I could I suppose.)

But having one "on hand" has been a huge benefit to me personally.

Everyone is certainly different, but from my "personal perspective" it has been worth it.

Edit: And I never have to worry about ballast, its always there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Agree with the last post. I often see people say save up all your backhoe jobs and once or twice a year rent a mini-ex. Problem is I do a ton of quick things with my backhoe that can't be 'saved'. And even the bigger projects I've done with mine, some of them were kind of spur of the moment things.

I get that they aren't for everyone. But for me personally, there are a ton of little jobs I do with my backhoe that if I didn't have it, I'd just be doing by hand or maybe I just wouldn't be doing it at all.

Reactions: 2 users

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
And OP, your situation sounds very similar to mine. I have a B2650 with FEL and BH, and I've been kicking around upgrading to an L47 also for similar reasons. My big two though are loader lift capacity and more convenient backhoe operation with the creeper and being able to spin the seat around without getting off the machine. More reach would be nice too.

I'm not really considering an M62 though. One it's a lot more money, and two as it is I often wonder if the L47 would be too big for some of my uses. Sometimes I get into some pretty tight spots with my B2650; just the other day I grabbed something with the forks on my B2650 that I could have never done with an L47.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe, but the comment "though BHs can be detached from purpose built BH machines, it is not often done." seemed to be comparing the TLB to "utility tractors with a BH hung on the rear."

My main objection is when someone implies or states that there is only one good choice and that any other choice is a foolish or uninformed one.
You know it ALL!
Must be comforting!

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
New England
And OP, your situation sounds very similar to mine. I have a B2650 with FEL and BH, and I've been kicking around upgrading to an L47 also for similar reasons. My big two though are loader lift capacity and more convenient backhoe operation with the creeper and being able to spin the seat around without getting off the machine. More reach would be nice too.

I'm not really considering an M62 though. One it's a lot more money, and two as it is I often wonder if the L47 would be too big for some of my uses. Sometimes I get into some pretty tight spots with my B2650; just the other day I grabbed something with the forks on my B2650 that I could have never done with an L47.
completely agree with the tight spots aspect. I continue to wrestle with that. My thinking on the M62 versus the L47 is that the footprints aren't significantly different, a few inches on width, about 2 feet on length, but the capabilities are significantly more of the M62. So, if we take cost out, I'm leaning towards the M62 to avoid the "I wish I had more lift,reach, etc capacity" problem I currently have. over the weekend I went out and measured the b2650, the m62 is about 20 inches wider at the back tires, and about 20 inches longer without the backhoe, so not significantly bigger over all footprint, but definitely heavier.

its a tough one though .

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am sure I am going against the grain here, but I am a bit of a BH lover myself. I purchased and financed a BH92 at 0% when I picked up the MX…what a deal to get that on a dollar that is dropping like a rock. That’s the whole reason I bought the MX actually…id do it again too.

Now to the BH, Do I need it? No. Would it be dollar wise to rent? Most likely yes in a single transaction…but once I ask that question most uses cases for most of my implements and tractor also go out the window….i am not in production so I suspect in most cases for most things rent might be dollar wise. I don’t use most implements most days, I don’t use most of my wrenches or my cordless drills, washer/dryer (and I am not about to go to laundry mat…if she can’t afford a washer or dryer she can’t afford me or my hobbies) most days either…same for the guns before they were lost in the boating accident….i am not about to rent my tools and implements or toys that I have intention to use more than once. Do I care? Absolutely not, and here’s why…absolute accessibility, pride of ownership and it’s fun (it’s a lot fun actually…like playing in the sandbox) I am spread between a full time job and 3 properties 4 hours apart. I have a tough time planning work for weather much less machine availability. My time is worth something even if not in a price comparison (reasonable quantified).

the only thing I would have done different is I would rather have the BH for the B because most of my uses would be on smaller jobs. Then rent a large task specific machine as others have said for larger scopes of work which would be much more infrequent.

At the end of the day I suspect I’ll keep and maintain and enjoy a BH while I have a tractor and mid size properties. At some point I could see selling the BH92 if I were picking up a B size TLB. For now the 92 stays (but I’d rather have the BH on the B for my uses)

But everyone has different use case and rational. YMMV. 🥃

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
completely agree with the tight spots aspect. I continue to wrestle with that. My thinking on the M62 versus the L47 is that the footprints aren't significantly different, a few inches on width, about 2 feet on length, but the capabilities are significantly more of the M62. So, if we take cost out, I'm leaning towards the M62 to avoid the "I wish I had more lift,reach, etc capacity" problem I currently have. its a tough one though .
I have the L48, with 11' reach.
M62....ALL THE WAY!

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Size does matter. Blessed with both a M59 and B26. Definitely many places in and around buildings the M59 is too big.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I have no experience with the 62. I do own a L47.
One downside to the L47 I discovered is the need of a skid plate when in the woods. There is wiring and hydraulics that is vulnerable to stick attack that could ruin your day.
(snip)
That worries me about the L47 a bit. I was recently looking at one at a local dealer. It does seem like there's a lot of unprotected areas that I'd be concerned about when working in the woods or with a grapple clearing brush.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am sure I am going against the grain here, but I am a bit of a BH lover myself. I purchased and financed a BH92 at 0% when I picked up the MX…what a deal to get that on a dollar that is dropping like a rock. That’s the whole reason I bought the MX actually…id do it again too.

Now to the BH, Do I need it? No. Would it be dollar wise to rent? Most likely yes in a single transaction…but once I ask that question most uses cases for most of my implements and tractor also go out the window….i am not in production so I suspect in most cases for most things rent might be dollar wise. I don’t use most implements most days, I don’t use most of my wrenches or my cordless drills, washer/dryer (and I am not about to go to laundry mat…if she can’t afford a washer or dryer she can’t afford me or my hobbies) most days either…same for the guns before they were lost in the boating accident….i am not about to rent my tools and implements or toys that I have intention to use more than once. Do I care? Absolutely not, and here’s why…absolute accessibility, pride of ownership and it’s fun (it’s a lot fun actually…like playing in the sandbox) I am spread between a full time job and 3 properties 4 hours apart. I have a tough time planning work for weather much less machine availability. My time is worth something even if not in a price comparison (reasonable quantified).

the only thing I would have done different is I would rather have the BH for the B because most of my uses would be on smaller jobs. Then rent a large task specific machine as others have said for larger scopes of work which would be much more infrequent.

At the end of the day I suspect I’ll keep and maintain and enjoy a BH while I have a tractor and mid size properties. At some point I could see selling the BH92 if I were picking up a B size TLB. For now the 92 stays (but I’d rather have the BH on the B for my uses)

But everyone has different use case and rational. YMMV. 🥃
Well said sir!

Also, you have my condolences regarding the boating accident.

I, and many of my friends, have experienced this same phenomenon.

I am starting a non-profit organization call GOAB (Gun Owners Against Boats) to try and stop this senseless cycle of loss. (y)

• Haha

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
New England
As I mentioned earlier I would go with two machines. A full size TLB and a utility tractor.

If you want to stick with one machine I think a M62 would be your best bet.
When I bought my L47 a M62 was about $10k more. I couldn't afford the additional expense. If not for that I'd own one myself d
View attachment 131455
I noticed you don’t have the standard 3 ph barsetc, did you use the ones with extenders off a different tractor? same for the sway bars that are usually turnbuckles on the standard option?

Last edited:

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I noticed you don’t have the standard 3 ph barsetc, did you use the ones with extenders off a different tractor? samy for the sway bars that are usually turnbuckles - not sure if that is the right ter?
When I bought my L47 I wanted a Tractor Loader with no intention of getting the backhoe attachment.
Most of my use is loader work and I felt that the L47 was a better choice than the Ag tractor with a (material handling) loader attachment. The well braced loader of the L47 combined with the huge subframe make it superior for dirt work.
That's what it was designed for.

I wanted to do some 3pt hitch chores like bush hogging so I opted for the 3pt hitch kit rather than just attaching a counterweight to the backhoe attachment point.

Instead of getting the optional 3ph kit that can be ordered with the tractor, I requested the extendable lower links and telescoping stabilizers.

My dealer provided what I needed. What model tractor they were designed for I don't know. I suspect they may be from a Grand L.

They fit and work well. No regrets.

If bush hogging instead of loader work was my primary use I would have bought a standard Ag tractor with a QA loader and cruise control. While the L47 has a hand throttle it is necessary to keep your foot on the hydro pedal as you mow. It's also heavier than needed for Ag chores.

It's a small thing but if you want to side offset your 3ph attachments the backhoe "hangers" can get in the way.

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
The 3pt hitches on the true Kubotas TLBs are a little lacking especially at the price point. Use ours 90% in 3pt mode. Changing implements frequently. Did modify to pin stabilizers, Pats quick hitch and gear leveling box on B26 to make life much easier.
IMG_0669.jpeg

Love the rear access to creep mode on the M59 to attach 3pt implements. Makes hook ups easier.