Stuck between Kubota M62 and L47

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
New England
Hello!
I seem to be stuck in analysis paralysis and could use some thoughts/advice from others. I live in the NE with 100+ acres of mostly wooded property - appx 15 acres is pasture. Land, in general, has a lot of rocks.

I currently have a b2650 and have really enjoyed that tractor but it never has had quite the lift capacity I've needed at the FEL - hence why I'm looking to go bigger. Lift capacity and more HP at the PTO are my primary reasons for upgrading.

This led me to a Kubota M62 or L47 tractor, but I seem to be going through endless loops trying to decide.

The tasks I do a lot of are:
- Forestry work (using a forestry winch or a grapple to haul logs, sometimes both at the same time)
- Moving logs around my wood processing area for either firewood or onto a sawmill for lumber.
- Chipping branches and stuff for mulch
- I have a stump grinder that I use occasionally, but I expect to use less with a backhoe.
- Building new trails and maintaining existing trails with a landscape rake and box blade.
- Clearing and grading new food plots etc.
- Digging out and moving more rocks and stumps than I can count
- Brush hogging pastures
- General chores around the house using pallet forks to move pallets, etc.

Most of my forest trails are about 7' wide, and my forests are very dense with mostly hardwood.

Originally I was going for the M62 because I want to max out my lift capacity at the FEL not regret going with a bigger size, and I liked the additional HP at the PTO. I have driven both the M62 and L47 at the dealer.

My concern now is that the M62 might be too big for getting around the woods, working the trails, etc. The bucket on the m62 is about the width of my trails. So have started to consider the L47. The lift capacities are still decent, but I was really hoping to get more HP at the PTO (though the L47 would still have more than I do currently).

I've driven around with my b2650 and a mocked-up 82" bucket using 2x4s and seemed to get around fine, but it was literally the width of my trails, and I was probably talking myself into it. LOL

So, now I'm stuck - do I sacrifice capacity and PTO HP for what I assume may be (but can't verify maneuverability?

Does anyone have experience with the M62 on a heavily wooded property and wished they had gone smaller? Any general words of wisdom or things to consider? I'm stuck.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If the M62 only just fits down the trails, you'd have to drive slowly and carefully all the time. Would that be annoying?

Presumably after a while you'd just make your trails wider, and be done with it. And then the M62 would be perfect.

Reactions: 3 users

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I have no experience with the 62. I do own a L47.
One downside to the L47 I discovered is the need of a skid plate when in the woods. There is wiring and hydraulics that is vulnerable to stick attack that could ruin your day.
The loader is pretty powerful (for a tractor this size) but when the backhoe is removed you really need a big counterweight to do ANY loader work.
Other than the need for the skid plate (which I'll get around to) I'm happy with the small size and performance of the L47 for my usage. It's a good Swiss army knife and about the smallest backhoe I'd consider owning.
There have been times that I wished I had a larger more powerful machine with more reach but that doesn't happen too often.
If the L47 wasn't powerful enough, before I would spend the money for a M62 I think I'd look into a good used full size TLB and a 50 hp + utility tractor. I think the combined cost could be close to the cost of a M62.
Of course If you went full size TLB you would need to widen the road.:rolleyes: IMO there is no comparison between a true TLB and either of Kubota's offerings.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Hello!
I seem to be stuck in analysis paralysis and could use some thoughts/advice from others. I live in the NE with 100+ acres of mostly wooded property - appx 15 acres is pasture. Land, in general, has a lot of rocks.

I currently have a b2650 and have really enjoyed that tractor but it never has had quite the lift capacity I've needed at the FEL - hence why I'm looking to go bigger. Lift capacity and more HP at the PTO are my primary reasons for upgrading.

This led me to a Kubota M62 or L47 tractor, but I seem to be going through endless loops trying to decide.

- Forestry work (using a forestry winch or a grapple to haul logs, sometimes both at the same time)
- Moving logs around my wood processing area for either firewood or onto a sawmill for lumber.
- I have a stump grinder that I use occasionally, but I expect to use less with a backhoe.
- Building new trails and maintaining existing trails with a landscape rake and box blade.
- Brush hogging pastures

Most of my forest trails are about 7' wide, and my forests are very dense with mostly hardwood.

Originally I was going for the M62 because I want to max out my lift capacity at the FEL not regret going with a bigger size, and I liked the additional HP at the PTO. I have driven both the M62 and L47 at the dealer.

My concern now is that the M62 might be too big for getting around the woods, working the trails, etc. The bucket on the m62 is about the width of my trails. So have started to consider the L47. The lift capacities are still decent, but I was really hoping to get more HP at the PTO (though the L47 would still have more than I do currently).

I've driven around with my b2650 and a mocked-up 82" bucket using 2x4s and seemed to get around fine, but it was literally the width of my trails, and I was probably talking myself into it. LOL

So, now I'm stuck - do I sacrifice capacity and PTO HP for what I assume may be (but can't verify maneuverability?

Does anyone have experience with the M62 on a heavily wooded property and wished they had gone smaller? Any general words of wisdom or things to consider? I'm stuck.
Good day.

Sounds like a nice property👍.

I am sure this is going to go against the grain, but have you thought about opening the trails up a bit? 7’ is not very wide or even much spacing between trees in a forest. If you have not already considered I’d look into ‘crop tree release’ (just to get some idea on spacing between mast trees) and then consider how close your trees are.

Then I guess my other thought would be that I don’t understand your pasture situation / PTO mowing needs, but beyond that have you considered keeping the B and adding a CTL or CWL? They would offer a lot more lift and maneuverability. If you need the increase in power at the PTO, that definitely decides some things though.

I am not sure that helps or not…it’s maybe not quite what you asked?

Good luck. ☕

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
There's not much size difference for turning radius but the M62 is heavier and better lift and tow capacities compared to an L47. I don't need to tow a machine around with an undersized truck so machine weight isn't a concern. I sometimes wish my M59 were a little bigger with more PTO and more tow capacity, I never wish for a smaller machine. I can already get into tight spots I shouldn't go. ;-)

A CTL is handy but visibility is very poor in comparison as you are sitting in your milk crate death trap with limited egress options - under the load or over the engine. CTL's suck working in tight wooded spaces between trees because you can't see anything behind you and cameras are a poor substitute for looking backwards.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello!

- Brush hogging pastures

I have an L48,....the forerunner to the L47.
I love my L48!
That said: I would choose the M62 every day of the week, over the L47!
I am just too old to consider an M62 upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I have owned a full size and a L47, I love the L47, size, power, and 3pt but there is no comparison for HP and lbs. If you're not widening the trails, then the L47 is the best you're going to do.

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
If it is just the bucket that is the issue, and since you said you'll be using a grapple, just get a narrower grapple and don't go on the trails with the bucket on.

Or, get a narrower bucket.

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
New England
Thank you all for the replies. I have considered a ctl, but like the tractor better for visibility reasons when backing up and the ability to get on off easily when the front end loader was loaded.

most of the time I would have my forestry winch attached at around 600 lbs. that’s about half the back hoe. would I be under weighted in the rear on an l47 ( or the m62) to lift anything decent? I would also plan to get the rear tites filled for ballast.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Yes you will probably need more weight, but I would try it first, hate to be dragging that extra weight around if you didn't have to.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
most of the time I would have my forestry winch attached at around 600 lbs. that’s about half the back hoe. would I be under weighted in the rear on an l47 ( or the m62) to lift anything decent? I would also plan to get the rear tites filled for ballast.
Recently I needed to pull out some T posts and replace them with wood posts.
Normally removing T posts by pulling them out with the loader is really easy.

However this time I just had a post hole auger on the rear. (my tires are loaded). The rear wheels came off the ground and the T post didn't budge. It was necessary to rock the machine back and forth to pull out the post. I did this four times with the same results.

I have a 7' EA box blade. I can't tell you what it weighs but it's fairly heavy and it's just enough counterweight to get decent lift out of the loader. I can carry a bucket load of dirt on level ground. If traveling up or down a slope it best be in 4WD.

My L47 preforms great with the backhoe on.
To the best of my knowledge there are no wheel weights available for the L47.

With nothing on the rear but the 3PH I can barely back up a slight slope on my gravel driveway (in 2WD) without spinning the tires.
Dropping the loader bucket does improve things. The non removable FEL is very well made and quite heavy for a tractor this size. Again, my rears are loaded.

BTW Kubota does not recommend loaded tires with the backhoe attached, don't ask me why.

I'm not about to load and unload the tires every time I attach or detach the backhoe.
So far no issues.
I really like this tractor. For a small tractor it really preforms well but just like the Swiss Army Knife there are limits.:)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The big negative of CUT's are the small front tires. Rough ride, easier to get stuck.

I'd be looking for 80-100PTO HP utility tractors without cab vs an overpriced M62. Heavy machines with big front tires and better tow capacity would be my first choice.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The big negative of CUT's are the small front tires. Rough ride, easier to get stuck.

I'd be looking for 80-100PTO HP utility tractors without cab vs an overpriced M62. Heavy machines with big front tires and better tow capacity would be my first choice.
I researched, and bought, a 295 hour M62 (not rental) for $63.500, last fall.
Not cheap, but in today's market, not "overpriced" IMHO.

OpenRoad

Equipment
Kubota b2650
Jun 19, 2024
New England
Recently I needed to pull out some T posts and replace them with wood posts.
Normally removing T posts by pulling them out with the loader is really easy.

However this time I just had a post hole auger on the rear. (my tires are loaded). The rear wheels came off the ground and the T post didn't budge. It was necessary to rock the machine back and forth to pull out the post. I did this four times with the same results.

I have a 7' EA box blade. I can't tell you what it weighs but it's fairly heavy and it's just enough counterweight to get decent lift out of the loader. I can carry a bucket load of dirt on level ground. If traveling up or down a slope it best be in 4WD.

My L47 preforms great with the backhoe on.
To the best of my knowledge there are no wheel weights available for the L47.

With nothing on the rear but the 3PH I can barely back up a slight slope on my gravel driveway (in 2WD) without spinning the tires.
Dropping the loader bucket does improve things. The non removable FEL is very well made and quite heavy for a tractor this size. Again, my rears are loaded.
thank you, this is very helpful. I’m beginning to second guess the m62 or l47. It seems like they are really oriented towards keeping that backhoe most of the time.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
thank you, this is very helpful. I’m beginning to second guess the m62 or l47. It seems like they are really oriented towards keeping that backhoe most of the time.
Yes, any loader work it is best to have the BH on. I love being able to use my rear angle blade, rake and brush hog.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Yes, any loader work it is best to have the BH on. I love being able to use my rear angle blade, rake and brush hog.
Other than substituting box blade for angle blade our use is the same.
That is the appeal of the L47.
A TLB that can do AG chores much better than an AG tractor can do TLB chores.
It's not perfect, but it allowed me to own just one tractor instead of two.

After reading post #17 I'm thinking about pumping out my liquid ballast.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Is that an "official" answer from Kubota?
It certainly sounds more reasonable than anything I have heard before.
Interesting. I heard it somewhere, and I'm looking for that. I see this comment (which may or may not be true as well): https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/wheel-weights-question-and-filled-tires.19726/ saying it's about drive train, and the ability for the drive train to slip. So they think too much traction if you fill them.

This thread covers a number of potential reasons: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...hoe-and-filled-tires-wsm-says-no.51605/page-2
Thoughts were the ROPS can't hold the weight of both backhoe and filled tires if you tip it over, maybe the stabilisers aren't made for the weight (have to say I kind of agree they're pretty powerful, but maybe twisting), maybe the axle mounts aren't made to have all that weight hanging when the stabilisers lift it, some people who think it's about no air cushioning effect (I don't really believe that one). So you're probably right, there's no official reason at all. Maybe ask Neil from Messicks.