Still messing with this B6100HST slip when hot problem

dem45133

Mar 21, 2010
Hillsboro, OH
Ok... just seems impossible to get good info... I took the tractor to our closest local dealer for pressure tests... he cite's pressures as low, but the numbers he verbally could remember were high according to my manual (he's young and used to more modern higher pressure systems). But he did NOT actually record them... so we cant really tell what he had and which chart he was using... and still insisted on being paid. Waste of a $123! They wanted just too much to get in it as further testing requires splitting and opening up the tractor so he said!

(see my old posts from a while back under my user name)

So it came home... I ran it and seems real strong when cold... starts loosing it as it warms up. I just hate swapping out for new $1300 unit when it maybe is $3 spring... but I just can't seem to get a real rebuild and spec manual for it. Yea I have Kubota's service manual for it... but that doesn't get deep enough.

I sure doesn't help that I'm working away... but I'm going home for Thanksgiving and am hoping to do more tests and maybe opening it up.

I sent inquiry's explaining everything the 1st dealer near Seman OH did (and did not do) to another local Kubota dealer in Wilmington OH (twice) asking what they would charge to redo the pressure tests the other dealer didn't finish... and check regulators etc, other options such as what a new HST unit costs, or if its all the same due to Kubota pricing policy, availability of parts to rebuild it myself, several various options as I saw it... etc.... NEVER heard a single word from the email... sent twice a month apart.... guess he'll NEVER get a thin dime from me for this or any of the three other old tractors I have which will always need parts now and then.... Just irritates the crap out of me.... seems if its not an opened ended 10K dollar repair job... or buying a 10-20k unit... they pretty much ignore you! I sent the email with plenty of time so I could take it to them when I went home for a week in May... explaining I'm ONLY home then.... NEVER a word and I sent to management even! YEA this IS getting OLD!

Do any of you know what the port thread sizes are... on the test ports? I can get gauges... but the local shop (not a dealer) I had go through and service the whole tractor and who found the problem to start with) could not get the appropriate fittings to tap into the ports... non of our local stores had whatever metric size it is. If I can find this size I'll order them up on line from some where and maybe do my own tests over Thanksgiving instead of opening it up... SINCE I really do not KNOW what the test results were or if they were done properly... JEESSSS!!!!!

If the pressures truly are low when hot (something the 1st dealer didn't compare (cold verses hot.... hmpt!) So here I am wondering... so if its bleeding by pressure at various worn areas... what would happen if (since it works just fine when cold and the oils viscosity is stiffer) if one used a lower viscosity oil, or blended up something... not sure what viscosity Kubota uses... I know some oils like old Hytran in the Farmall 560s is very thin... while other older systems were basically a 30 wt like my old Ford 961 selecto.

So what if I put a blend of 50wt or something... if its considered dead now... what can it hurt?

The rest of this tractor is good, 1200 hours (and I believe it from other indicators) and runs like a top.

If I didn't have $3000 hospital bill to pay right now I'd consider the new $1300 unit and call it good. But I can't invent money, I can only earn it so fast.

Dave

SockPuppet

Equipment
B8200
Nov 23, 2009
Washington State
Ok... just seems impossible to get good info... I took the tractor to our closest local dealer for pressure tests... he cite's pressures as low, but the numbers he verbally could remember were high according to my manual (he's young and used to more modern higher pressure systems). But he did NOT actually record them... so we cant really tell what he had and which chart he was using... and still insisted on being paid. Waste of a $123! They wanted just too much to get in it as further testing requires splitting and opening up the tractor so he said!
IMO, if you took it in explicitly for pressure testing, they should provide the test results in writing. No written results, no $123. That it should have been warmed up and wasn't pretty much tells the story on this dealer.

I'm sure someone will jump on me for this but if it were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to up the viscosity with a good grade of oil. You may find that you'll need a Summer weight and a Winter changeout if you do. Personally, I use Amsoil in everything.

(I don't think I'd jump all the way to 20-50 right off the top. I would suck out a quart and replace it with 20-50. If I saw no improvement I'd stop but if it helped I'd continue doing it, a quart at a time until I was happy.)

This is also assuming you first get a proper pressure test and can't get the pressure up with any regular adjustment.

Last edited:

dem45133

Mar 21, 2010
Hillsboro, OH
Yea, but I had instructed the local one man shop who initially went through (and did a good job) it to take it to the dealer since he was having difficulty in finding what was needed on fittings to run the pressure tests...

At any rate... even though the tech quoted numbers (from memory) as "low" that I know were damn close to what my Kubota book says... I just paid it. Since they hold the tractor hostage anyway...didn't see any options. It had taken them two weeks just to do that and I was tired of the excuses. I had to get it home and put away... and then get on an airplane the next day as they sucked up all time I had at home anyway. The man also knew this (and knows me... and our situation)... and I am not at all sure he wasn't trying to milk it! But I never do opened ended contracts or agreements... so I brought it home. Its now November and the last I was home was in end of May.

Now I'm going to build up my own pressure gauge(s) and do it myself... seems that way too often that's what one has to do to get something freakin done right anymore... its a wonder this county doesn't implode from carelessness, ignorance, incompetence, greed and a myriad of other reasons... boggles my mind. Didn't think I was really asking all that much... pressure tests people... I didn't ask them to engineer how to move a sun spot... just do a da_n pressure test!

So... any one know what the test port thread sizes are? I'm 1534 miles away from it and can not go out and look at it... and its also not the kind of thing my wife can't do for me.

B6100HST (not sure if its type I or II, if they are different I'll need to get adapters for both.)

Thanks again...
Dave

Last edited: