Steering Wheel Center is Off Center

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
1995 L2950,Wallenstine 4" Chipper, 2 bottom land plow, 5' bushhog,Cordwood saw.
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
Hi all
First let me say I have a 1995 L-2950 and I know this is almost a non issue but I bugs me a little so here I go.
I am in the process of cutting next years firewood. About 2 weeks ago we got about 10 inches of snow so the next day I went out to break out the roads that I would be using so they could freeze down. When I got everything opened up I turned the tractor around and decided to back drag my way home.
At some point my left front tire got up against a stump or rock and without me knowing that I " think" I continued to turn the steering wheel to the left some more at least I believe that is what happened. When I got done and parked the tractor I noticed the Kubota emblem in the steering wheel center was perfectly upside down.

I know this hurts nothing but 1),... I was worried that I may have hurt the steering assembly but it does not seem to be the case she is fine from what I can see. I have run it 3 full days since so no damage to the steering components that I can see.

Question 2),... is can / should I just trig the front tires up against something solid and turn the wheel till it stops then continue to turn until it's center emblem is back to being oriented straight again ? Or maybe better yet get the wheels straight then drive up to a tree so they are captured straight and then steer the wheel till the emblem is right side up again. Or option 3) just have another beer and don't give it another thought ! Thanks for your time and keep the fires burning , Jeff

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'll take Door #3:D:D

I honestly don't know much about the steering linkages, but if everything appears straight and right....probably stand another chance of damage trying to fix it the way you propose.

I would, however, do a visual of the steering column down, just make sure a U-joint or something isn't obviously twisted/busted or with a shake, loose.

JMHO, and have one for me!:)

Last edited:

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
I think you my boy gave some good advice. I don't do anything too rashly I do however have the occasional rash idea! I will for now rely on where I am pointed in relation to the trees going by me instead of where the wheel emblem is pointing.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have, and probably will again, done things rashly. :eek::eek:

Fortunately, the frequency has lessened GREATLY with age, usually by choosing Option #3!!:cool:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Pop emblem out and put it in straight?
Not sure about your steering setup, some are full hydraulic and can work nornal and be off centre.
If it uses steering linkage, check for something bent and that both wheels track straight.
A dead give-away is a bend near the threaded area on steering linkage where adjustments are made.
Cracks or flaking paint will also be inducatirs of some damage.

I recall a machine i used to run, a track truck for grooming snowmobile trails. It had wheeks in front, and tracks steered as well.
When grooming, front wheels would be in the air and end up cranked to left or right side. Just had to stop and recenter whhels and carry on. Never noticed until i was going real slow.

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
emblem is part of the wheel, I will give it a close look to see if I see any damage any place good idea to look her over well.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My little BX steering is fully hydraulic. No mechanical connection to the steering rack. If I turn to the stops, additional pressure on the steering wheel will cause the steering wheel to move and the wheels, not a bit. So anytime I either do as you did or carelessly push the steering wheel trying to turn past a stop and the wheel gets off center again. I shortly gave up caring.
Is the steering on your 100% hydraulic?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
My little BX steering is fully hydraulic. No mechanical connection to the steering rack. If I turn to the stops, additional pressure on the steering wheel will cause the steering wheel to move and the wheels, not a bit. So anytime I either do as you did or carelessly push the steering wheel trying to turn past a stop and the wheel gets off center again. I shortly gave up caring.
Is the steering on your 100% hydraulic?
It used to bother me that the steering wheel was off center until I noticed off center was changing on a regular basis. That was when the light bulb came on. :rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Black Mud Farm, is it an L2950DT (4wd) ?
If it is, it's full hydrostatic steering, the steering will change all the time! ;)
I'll PM you a link to download the WSM for the tractor.

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
If it is, it's full hydrostatic steering, the steering will change all the time! ;)
yea well it is a L-2950 4WD but I don't know what DT means I have a 4 speed (shuttle shift)? transmission . You can choose to begin moving from a standing start in 4th gear or you can shift it like a 4 speed standard transmission as you travel down the road, I wanted to add a photo of the tractor but I guess I don't know how. Well I did it but what a pain to just go to my desktop and up-load a photo compared to other forums :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
It used to bother me that the steering wheel was off center until I noticed off center was changing on a regular basis. That was when the light bulb came on. :rolleyes:
Kind of sounds like mine,... right now it is off 180* but the other day it was off only 90*. What you said in your post probably didn't mean a lot to you but it spurred my memory and you may have pointed out the same thing happing to me?
To be honest I am pretty careful with my equipment and I don't remember cranking the wheel while the tires remained stationary, it just don't jive with how I do things . Thanks Jeff

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
Can you just pull off the steering wheel and reinstall it so the emblem is straight ahead when the wheels are pointing forward?

I don't know if there is a "blind spline" on the shaft or not. Can't tell from the manual either.

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
I think you guys may be right now that I have been thinking about it I do think the wheel center may have been off from time to time in the past as well.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Last edited:

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
Your are correct in saying the center changes when turned all the way one direction or another. If you think the emblem is annoying, just think how it is when you use a wheel spinner... You never know where it will be next going straight. You just get used to it. It's not a car or truck... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-Delu...873650?hash=item280acc9d72:g:4e0AAOSwk5FU0ljJ
Wow that would suck I used to use one on the Allis Chalmers and that of course worked fine.

Black Mud Farm

Equipment
Sep 30, 2015
Hartland Maine
I just came back in from the woods a moment ago the wheel center now is at the 8 o'clock position. The other day it was at the 6 O' Clock position so I guess it does change some.

JTY

Jan 28, 2019
Rayland, Ohio
I have same problem with 2601 took it to dealer and they say that it is normal , no problems with steering that’s the way full hydraulic system works. Dries me nuts. I thought I had hydraulic fluid bypass in steering system.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Your are correct in saying the center changes when turned all the way one direction or another. If you think the emblem is annoying, just think how it is when you use a wheel spinner... You never know where it will be next going straight. You just get used to it. It's not a car or truck... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-Delu...873650?hash=item280acc9d72:g:4e0AAOSwk5FU0ljJ
I just got my tractor and wheel spinner and noticed this as well.
If you are OCD this can drive you nuts, literally!!!
Now I know it's out of my control and hopefully I can let it go.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all
First let me say I have a 1995 L-2950 and I know this is almost a non issue but I bugs me a little so here I go.
I am in the process of cutting next years firewood. About 2 weeks ago we got about 10 inches of snow so the next day I went out to break out the roads that I would be using so they could freeze down. When I got everything opened up I turned the tractor around and decided to back drag my way home.
At some point my left front tire got up against a stump or rock and without me knowing that I " think" I continued to turn the steering wheel to the left some more at least I believe that is what happened. When I got done and parked the tractor I noticed the Kubota emblem in the steering wheel center was perfectly upside down.

I know this hurts nothing but 1),... I was worried that I may have hurt the steering assembly but it does not seem to be the case she is fine from what I can see. I have run it 3 full days since so no damage to the steering components that I can see.

Question 2),... is can / should I just trig the front tires up against something solid and turn the wheel till it stops then continue to turn until it's center emblem is back to being oriented straight again ? Or maybe better yet get the wheels straight then drive up to a tree so they are captured straight and then steer the wheel till the emblem is right side up again. Or option 3) just have another beer and don't give it another thought ! Thanks for your time and keep the fires burning , Jeff
Not sure about your tractor but I suspect that it does not have hydrostatic PS. If it does, the position of the steering wheel constantly changes. If it doesn't, you should inspect the steering linkages as you may have bent something.

Has the orientation of the emblem remained constant in the past?

SDT

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Since the steering is hydraulic, not direct linkage, there is no correct steering wheel orientation. It's a circle and it will change orientation as you use it, but will always be a circle. If the name plate not being right side up all the time bothers you, cover it with something circular with no orientation markings. Think of it like your tires. When you park it, the markings on the tires aren't oriented that same every time.